• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My X-Men Original Art quest.. and the Journey...
1 1

153 posts in this topic

So after collecting OA for a couple years haphazardly, I decided I wanted to create more focus and goals around it. I stumbled through the first couple years getting acclimated and dipping into all different facets sketches,sketch covers commissions published etc. Kind of just shooting what moves as going along. I decided towards the end of 2019 that was not a great way to collect and saw that some pieces did not mean as much to me. As a life long collector of comics and the X-men being my first love I have settled on getting an example of each great X-men proper artist from the X-Men/Uncanny run I grew up on. As you all know with the prices of art this will be no small task and may actually never get done but it is good to have goals. I wanted to start this thread to share my journey with everyone and chronicle how it goes. I am going to set up a slot for each artist and add as I get pieces.. now there will be placeholders like sketches or prelims, upgrades or cheats on some as my budget may never allow.. but here we go! With the fury of Dark Phoenix chasing a planet for a snack! Once it is all set up.. feel free to comment or drop me a line on pieces that may fit a slot (especially if a good deal!)

EDIT: Now going for an example of Every artist who worked at least 3 issues in a row on the title!

The artists i am going for are as follows.

Jack Kirby

Werner Roth

Don Heck

Neal Adams

Dave Cockrum

John Byrne

Paul Smith

John Romita Jr

Marc Silvestri

Jim Lee

Whilce Portacio

Tom Raney

Brandon Peterson

Joe Madueria

Chris Bachalo

Adam Kubert

Salvador Larrocca

Ian Churchill

Sean Phillips

Ron Garney

Kia Asamiya

Philip Tan

Alan Davis

Andy Park

Billy Tan

Mike Choi

Greg Land

Terry Dodson

7A92BCC9-B8CD-4270-B11E-E91ECFE6A4BA.jpeg

Edited by Unstoppablejayd

Paul Smith- more space holders.. and this one I want to get right as issue 175 was the first comic I ever received as a child so hopefully I can find a page from that issue 🤞🏻
Well no 175 but I am overjoyed with this page from 170 ... basically when Scott and Madelyne relationship becomes real

2728DA5F-D10E-4B00-AB79-9E8592F5D919.jpeg

Edited by Unstoppablejayd

27 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Dave Cockrum- I went back and forth on whether to stretch for a subpar first run or a decent second. And then I saw this second run page and loved it: I have always been a fan of Havoc and just loved the execution of his power use here 

issue 163 pg 9

E6C28A94-C99A-4FB7-B732-2DBC136796B4.jpeg

I love his classic costume. I wasn't really looking to add a Havok painting to my collection but when I saw he was in his OG costume for the 2018 Marvel Masterpieces set I went ahead and bought it since most published paintings with him are during his 90's X-Factor phase.

Just now, gumbydarnit said:

You might want to add Perez to your list, it was just one issue but the artwork from his X-Men annual was very nice!

I thought about him, and art adams with there annual work  and BWS - but there was so few touches in the main thread i left them off.. not that I would not buy a page if it pops up! lol

13 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

I love his classic costume. I wasn't really looking to add a Havok painting to my collection but when I saw he was in his OG costume for the 2018 Marvel Masterpieces set I went ahead and bought it since most published paintings with him are during his 90's X-Factor phase.

LOVE his original costume..  I was actually the underbidder on The Powers of X Mike Huddleston cover last year. I would love to see your painting. Pm Me. 

Nice plan! I have a similar unofficial plan to get representatives of my own favorite X-periods that I can afford. The big ticket items are likely to remain out of my reach for the foreseeable future, but so far I have pages from:

Uncanny X-Men #151 (Farmer/Rubinstein fill-in)

A Paul Smith sketch (Saturn Girl though, not X-Men)

Two from New Mutants #10 (Sal B/Mandrake)

A Sienkiewicz sketch

Two Sean Chen pages from X-Men: The End

Grell from X-Men Forever 2

Cassaday and Jiminez pages from Astonishing X-Men

Van Sciver from New X-Men

All of it together wouldn't get me a Byrne, but it's a start...

16 minutes ago, RBerman said:

Nice plan! I have a similar unofficial plan to get representatives of my own favorite X-periods that I can afford. The big ticket items are likely to remain out of my reach for the foreseeable future, but so far I have pages from:

Uncanny X-Men #151 (Farmer/Rubinstein fill-in)

A Paul Smith sketch (Saturn Girl though, not X-Men)

Two from New Mutants #10 (Sal B/Mandrake)

A Sienkiewicz sketch

Two Sean Chen pages from X-Men: The End

Grell from X-Men Forever 2

Cassaday and Jiminez pages from Astonishing X-Men

Van Sciver from New X-Men

All of it together wouldn't get me a Byrne, but it's a start...

Nice! We all have to start somewhere!!  I have lots of other X representatives- if you feel like it take a look at my Caf Gallery https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=132715

1 hour ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Dave Cockrum- I went back and forth on whether to stretch for a subpar first run or a decent second. And then I saw this second run page and loved it: I have always been a fan of Havoc and just loved the execution of his power use here 

issue 163 pg 9

E6C28A94-C99A-4FB7-B732-2DBC136796B4.jpeg

Nice score