• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on what auction site to consign graded books to?

39 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Bludriver said:

Well my books are in the April auction on Comiclink that started yesterday and I am already stressing about the bidding so far as many have not gotten any bids. I guess TV show comics are not that popular.

That my be the case, I have rarely done well with comics about TV shows but IMO CLink is still the best site to consign to for almost all types of books, so you shouldn’t regret your decision. The dollars you net on your books will probably be similar regardless of the consigner, but the ease of dealing with CLink, and their trustworthiness, are the reasons I consign to them. 

I also prefer to buy from them. Although I’ve been outbid an awful lot lately :frown:

I've sold over the past few years via ComicLink, Heritage and one other site. Comiclink is my chosen venue right now - due to repeated ease of upfront dealing and 10% commission. Heritage was 10% when I dealt with them, but that was a couple of years ago. I run an estimate off current prices (GPA/gocollect) before the auction, and then check my results. Comiclink has averaged out pretty well - some books disappoint, others get fought over -  but the volume and quality of books being sold there (as the market has gone) had brought a lot of eyes/bidders. Over the past year to 2 years, 3 sales (of 20-50 books each) have brought results at 96, 98.5 and 110% of my estimates.  Heritage results were within expectations as well.

(I tend to sell GA, 40's, 50's horror, some silver age).  I am kicking myself for selling that original owner Silver Streak #6 a few years back...but who knew? And a boardie here got it off CLink.

Edited by Sackolantern

8 hours ago, Bludriver said:

Well my books are in the April auction on Comiclink that started yesterday and I am already stressing about the bidding so far as many have not gotten any bids. I guess TV show comics are not that popular.

:wishluck: Sorry, but hoping my $1 bid holds

3 hours ago, Sackolantern said:

Heritage was 10% when I dealt with them, but that was a couple of years ago.

On 3/26/2021 at 1:13 PM, Bludriver said:

I called Heritage today and they said it is 15% commission but it may be 10% depending on the books I have (I have to send a list). Since many of my books are not Marvel, I want to try and find a place that has a large customer base because my books are mostly DC & Dell/Gold Key and not as sought after.

Based upon what I believe the 2 of you are saying here, it sounds as though you are referring to only the Seller's Premium of either 10% or 15% here.  hm

Did either of you asked them if they would be giving the 20% Buyer's Premium back to you or will they be keeping it for themselves, because this is usally the norm unless you have either a large quantity of book or some nice quality books which would amount to a high dollar value and hence give you some negotiating leverage with them?  (shrug)

11 hours ago, Bludriver said:

To be expected for a CL Focused Auction which is what this one in April is, as opposed to a CL Featured Auction which is the one starting in May.  hm

In general, the CL Focus Auctions are populated with mostly (but not necessarily all) lower value books and hence that is why you see over 200 pages of items in there making it kind of unwieldy for potential bidders to sift through at times.  Doesn't help since CL usually spends far less time hyping these books as clearly evident by the fact that most auction listings have just the standard one-line description.  :p

The CL Featured Auctions are completely different in that they are generally for the higher dollar value books and as such, there are far fewer pages of them (I believe only 38 for the last one in February) which makes it a whole lot easier for potential bidders to wade through.  Given the potential higher dollar values for these books, CL clearly spends more time on them as evident by full detailed write-ups on each book seemingly hyping them as best as they can which makes you almost hit the bid button when you don't even have any interest in that book to start.  :devil:  :takeit:

Of course there are exceptions like the recent hot books which are readily available like GSXM 1, Hulk 181, Spidey 129, etc. where they have so many copies available in various grades that they end up putting 5 to 10 copies of each in both their Featured and Focused Auction.  If I remember correctly, the last Focused Auction in Marcg had a GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 which sold for $67,900 while the equivalent graded copy in the March Featured Auction in February sold for just $44K because the market on these HG readily available books are just moving so fast and so volatile in this rather crazed crupto like FOMO marketplace right now. :screwy:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

To be expected for a CL Focused Auction which is what this one in April is, as opposed to a CL Featured Auction which is the one starting in May.  hm

In general, the CL Focus Auctions are populated with mostly (but not necessarily all) lower value books and hence that is why you see over 200 pages of items in there making it kind of unwieldy for potential bidders to sift through at times.  Doesn't help since CL usually spends far less time hyping these books as clearly evident by the fact that most auction listings have just the standard one-line description.  :p

The CL Featured Auctions are completely different in that they are generally for the higher dollar value books and as such, there are far fewer pages of them (I believe only 38 for the last one in February) which makes it a whole lot easier for potential bidders to wade through.  Given the potential higher dollar values for these books, CL clearly spends more time on them as evident by full detailed write-ups on each book seemingly hyping them as best as they can which makes you almost hit the bid button when you don't even have any interest in that book to start.  :devil:  :takeit:

Of course there are exceptions like the recent hot books which are readily available like GSXM 1, Hulk 181, Spidey 129, etc. where they have so many copies available in various grades that they end up putting 5 to 10 copies of each in both their Featured and Focused Auction.  If I remember correctly, the last Focused Auction in Marcg had a GSXM 1 in CGC 9.8 which sold for $67,900 while the equivalent graded copy in the March Featured Auction in February sold for just $44K because the market on these HG readily available books are just moving so fast and so volatile in this rather crazed crupto like FOMO marketplace right now. :screwy:

They told me my books would not qualify for the May auction...if I could not send them in time for the April auction, the next auction they could be in is for June.

19 hours ago, Bludriver said:

A lot of bidding happens within the last few minutes of the book ending. 
Not sure of what the grades and demand of books you’re selling but you should be fine. 

36 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Not sure of what the grades and demand of books you’re selling but you should be fine. 

Thanks

Most of my books are 9.6 or 9.8

I know it is early but I guess when I see books getting lots of bids, it is hard seeing mine with none.

Edited by Bludriver

59 minutes ago, Bludriver said:
1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Thanks

Most of my books are 9.6 or 9.8

I know it is early but I guess when I see books getting lots of bids, it is hard seeing mine with none.

Can totally understand how you feel her, but as you yourself noted, the auction just started on Thursday which is still very early.  (thumbsu

With respect to both CC and CL auctions, a lot of the real action is done right at the end in terms of the 3-minuted extended biddings sessions when it comes to CC and with respect to CL, just pray that you have 2 crazed bidders out there with both of them willing to throw out blind Hail Mary bids in the last couple of seconds in the hopes of winning your book.  :wishluck:

With these comic book auctions, no need to stress out too early as I was watching a Flash Gordon book on the CC auction site a few days ago where it was sitting at only $155 with a few hours to go, and yet it ended up at something like $2,725 by the time all of the extended bidding was done. :taptaptap::applause:

Edited by lou_fine

43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Can totally understand how you feel her, but as you yourself noted, the auction just started on Thursday which is still very early.  (thumbsu

With respect to both CC and CL auctions, a lot of the real action is done right at the end in terms of the 3-minuted extended biddings sessions when it comes to CC and with respect to CL, just pray that you have 2 crazed bidders out there with both of them willing to throw out blind Hail Mary bids in the last couple of seconds in the hopes of winning your book.  :wishluck:

With these comic book auctions, no need to stress out too early as I was watching a Flash Gordon book on the CC auction site a few days ago where it was sitting at only $155 with a few hours to go, and yet it ended up at something like $2,725 by the time all of the extended bidding was done. :taptaptap::applause:

Thanks...I don't know if I am cut out for auctions when it comes to my own books :frustrated:

If I had a hulk 181 in the auction, I would be sitting back and relaxing...the 9.6 is at $22,000 already and the 9.4 at $15,000.

On 3/26/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bludriver said:

I would like to sell most of my graded books. I have about 50 I would like to sell but they are not keys ( I only have a few keys and I want to hold on to those).

They are all at least 9.4 and are mostly silver age from Marvel, DC, Dell & Key

I am not sure what would be the best place to consign this type of collection to in order to get the most $ for my books

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Here on that very site in selling area good luck:banana:

23 hours ago, Bludriver said:

What are your comics?

Yeah I've tracked recent gpa value $500- $1000 books for the entire CL auction that sat at less than $30 right up until the last day when it reached gpa prices but then blew past gpa in the last 30 seconds to 2-5x gpa. Granted this tends to be for the more under the radar stuff, low cgc census, or perfect cover wraps on books known to have cover issues that most bid lurkers hope to snipe or recent hot books that have 2 all in bidders going after. It all depends on what the market is for your books and if there are any recent gpa sales in the last 6-12months. Seems like they're top of census at 9.6, 9.8 so you have that going for you.

I'd start to worry if the books haven't reached within 20% of gpa by the last hour of the end time for each of your books as thats when most lazy and serious bidders start setting their final bids. Most early bids are just tracking and wishful thinking bids. But like others have said, some books do really well while others can go for peanuts.

Edited by justafan

6 minutes ago, justafan said:

Yeah I've tracked recent gpa value $500- $1000 books for the entire CL auction that sat at less than $30 right up until the last day when it reached gpa prices but then blew past gpa in the last 30 seconds to 2-5x gpa. Granted this tends to be for the more under the radar stuff that most bid lurkers hope to snipe or recent hot books that have 2 all in bidders going after. It all depends on what the market is for your books and if there are any recent gpa sales in the last 6-12months. Seems like they're top of census so you have that going for you.

I'd start to worry if the books haven't reached within 20% of gpa by the last hour of the end time for each of your books as thats when most lazy and serious bidders start setting their final bids. Most early bids are just tracking and wishful thinking bids. But like others have said, some books do really well while others can go for peanuts.

Thank you very much for the info as this is all new to me. The only reason I am selling is that i simply can't afford to buy high grade books anymore and I need the money for other things. My dreams of owning a high grade book of every TV show is long gone :)

9 hours ago, musicmeta said:

I can't count the number of times I've been riding top bid with a lowball until the final minutes of an auction.