• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this rust or am I just going crazy?

21 posts in this topic

So I have this book from 1940. I watched some videos online where the books are rusted and the pages turn into this brown mess. In the light and with the flash (LED flash so no UV light so don't worry) the staple is shiny but by it self with no direct light the staple is a greyish under tone! Thoughts? Is this rust will this destory this book or am I just going crazy with my OCD. If it is rust my room has 50/50 humidity (I live in a super dry climate) it has blacked out curtains so no UV light, it's also between the temperatures of 59-69 during the days when it's 99+ degrees outside it's 69 in my room due to my fear of how hot it is outside effecting well my room. My mentality is that pulp paper is basically made from trees and I also collect guitars and WW2 daggers and the wood needs seasons to well stay in it's form so I figured maybe pulp paper needs too as well (not as drastic but only a few degrees).I also collect thick pulp German WW2 books and I was told by a collector to also keep the paper in seasons so It's able to breathe. To low humidity it's brittle to much then the staples rust but be realistic with the temperatures. also have a fan running 24/7 to keep the air moving so it's never stagnant. I have a collection of around $45k+. It's not alot when compared to 1 book being worth $45k but I still love and want to protect my books as much as I humanly can! Any recommendations or I should make please let me know! (If it is rust should I crack it out and get it cleaned so it doesn't ruin the book like). Idc if it comes back a restored or conserved becasue at the end of the day we are custodians of these items not it's owners. Our job is to protect and maintain the item whatever it is for future generations and other collectors.

Screenshot_20210329-000721.png

Screenshot_20210329-000729.png

3 hours ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

I still love and want to protect my books as much as I humanly can!

Thanks for being so careful!

Staples from 1940, with rare exception, will have at least some slight oxidation, dulling the metal a little bit.  I don't see any red rust on the staple, nor do you mention any, so I don't see any reason to be concerned.  

As long as storage conditions stay as you describe, I would not anticipate any problems.

If you leave a comic outside in the hot sun you can destroy it in a day or two and it's that fragility that leads to concern.  All the same, storing a comic in a stable, cool, dark, 50% humidity environment will give you a couple hundreds of enjoyment (or more).

Edited by adamstrange

37 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:
9 hours ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

So I have this book from 1940. 

What book is it? Enquiring minds want to know.

Yeah, we can't tell you if it's rust without seeing a full picture of the front cover.  :wink:

Just now, circumstances said:

I said this 9 hours ago! :p

This is my most expensive book in my collection I was considered since I saw my friends Cap #37 basically fall apart due to rusty staples which made me look through all my books and this is the one book I am worried about

3 hours ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

This is my most expensive book in my collection I was considered since I saw my friends Cap #37 basically fall apart due to rusty staples which made me look through all my books and this is the one book I am worried about

Well first off I think you meant "concerned" rather than "considered"? And do not worry. I don't see anything indicating rust. Possibly a touch of light oxidation common on these staples, as the venerable veteran adamstrange stated. So breath a sigh of relief and enjoy the lightness of being. 

7 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

Well first off I think you meant "concerned" rather than "considered"? And do not worry. I don't see anything indicating rust. Possibly a touch of light oxidation common on these staples, as the venerable veteran adamstrange stated. So breath a sigh of relief and enjoy the lightness of being. 

You are right I meant concerned 😂 I wrote that at 1 am! And thank you!