• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about collecting. (subject specifically: personal enjoyment vs spec books)
3 3

77 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2021 at 1:24 AM, the blob said:

But that Marvel mystery is a really classic cover and is in nice shape. It could become a GA "it" book if it is not already. I think it has a better chance of being a $3800 book than either of those two marvel keys doubling any time soon. Would I have that Marvel mystery over an ASM 300 in 9.6, which is roughly the same price? You betchah. I've owned 3 ASM 300s and have seen guys with 30 of them at their booth.

All day, every day.  That MM is a great book.   I think the OP got it for a steal.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

I was just mentioning in @Buzzetta's Journal that I need to get more in the game, so it might be a good point to say IBTL...

No more pernts for that phrase.  I have a full time job aside from keeping track of these things lol 

That was the first rule I nixed for a variety of reasons. 

Let the thread flow naturally man... let it flow. 

Spoiler

Check out the card forum.  So long as they are attached to us it is fair game and they are ripe with pernts 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

No more pernts for that phrase.  I have a full time job aside from keeping track of these things lol 

That was the first rule I nixed for a variety of reasons. 

Let the thread flow naturally man... let it flow. 

Reveal hidden contents

Check out the card forum.  So long as they are attached to us it is fair game and they are ripe with pernts 

905125733_200w(7).gif.db23e94cd6f3b917c49fa8c5b83628cd.gif

21 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

DC Golden age Superman's are pretty sweet as are the vintage Joker covers.   The Timely books and other WWII are sought after for a reason beyond the characters and stories but more for the historical significance.  Put him in touch with some of us and we will edjumicate him. 

Ehh... that's a tough one.  I do agree that 1st appearances are the way to go.  I explained once that this mentality comes from Baseball collectors.  Obviously the Jordan rookie is more desirable than his fourth year.   So go after first appearances first when you can.  They almost always carry a premium and will be more sought after.   I said this years ago and here we are where a storyline will always take a backseat to the character's rookie appearance. 

WWII has always been more than just a war but a pop culture part of Americana.  The GA books are in much shorter supply than silver age due to American efforts in recycling combined with the perception of periodicals and especially comic books as cheap and disposable entertainment for kids.    WWII era comics and admittedly some moderns featuring first appearances have been displayed at the Smithsonian.  The Virgin Variant Chromium Cover of Venom 281 in Third Print... is not.   So what is more meaningful from a historic standpoint?  

However, there is nothing wrong with buying spec books that someone is going to pay you a bundle for with the gamble that it will increase in value for them.   I do it sometimes and there is nothing wrong with it.   I stick to first appearances though.  I cannot keep track of the variant flavor of the week.   I have books that I have flipped that I could care less about so I could raise money to buy the books I really wanted.   

As far as needing to show him anything though?  Who cares?  Why do you need his validation to collect what you want?   We have an entire forum attached to us of people dropping hundreds if not thousands of dollars on pieces of cardboard with numbers on them featuring fictional animals that have magical powers.  If that's what they want to do... they don't need my validation.  They do them... I do me.  I just like to poke fun of them when they act like a bunch of 'Karens" demanding to speak to the CGC manager about Turnaround times. 

Fore more fun visit the card forum. 

I truly sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment! Thank you! You are right I don't know why I need validation. 

15 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Ken, I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but I respectfully ask can anyone seriously suggest there's much that's liberal about modern progressives? Don't today's progressives try to ban free speech and the open exchange of ideas everyday, as well as rewriting history?

Someone speaking on campus today you don't agree with?  Defeat them on the merits and strengths of your arguments? Heck, no - ban them from speaking. Don't like something in a book or movie from a different era? Well, do we provide historical context or even (gasp) let people glean that for themselves? No way: ban that, too.

I urge anyone who thinks they are so "progressive" in their thoughts and actions to study the classical liberalism of the nineteenth century and earlier. No classical liberal would deign to defend the rabid collectivism of today while so forcefully dismissing the individualist flickerings of yore.

I do believe the semantical ship has sailed: the terms "liberal" and "progressive" appear irreconcilable and really have little correlation in relation to today's modern political spectrum. 

And lest we ignore those aforementioned sins of the past, at the dawn of the previous American century there were self-touted "progressives" then as well. Their champions included Margaret Sanger and Woodrow Wilson. Those are two of the most racist and xenophobic people who ever roamed our public corridors.  (shrug)

I agree with you 150%. Am not right leaning but am not left leaning. Am an American and I value the rights nd privileges that are granted to me and those who live in this Amazing country! 

His thing is "why do the japanese have to be yellow with buck teeth with line eyes." 

I say "becasue they killed 3k people and attack us first? And started WW2?"

Then he brings up Whitewash from Kid Komics from the Timely run and Young allies and then goes extreme saying it should be destoryed and lost. 

I say "we keep the concentration camp along with slaves original homes should we destory those for being extreme and how they were treated?"

Then it usually ends with him screaming. I told him that we should just be acquaintances and no longer Communicate due to the amount of stress and drama it brings with being his friend. 

3 minutes ago, Matty B said:

I agree with you 150%. Am not right leaning but am not left leaning. Am an American and I value the rights nd privileges that are granted to me and those who live in this Amazing country! 

His thing is "why do the japanese have to be yellow with buck teeth with line eyes." 

Then he brings up Whitewash from Kid Komics from the Timely run and Young allies and then goes extreme saying it should be destoryed and lost. 

I say "we keep the concentration camp along with slaves original homes should we destory those for being extreme and how they were treated?"

Then it usually ends with him screaming. I told him that we should just be acquaintances and no longer Communicate due to the amount of stress and drama it brings with being his friend. 

I know my first one was to throw a trash can at him, but really it just sounds more like he just needs to be thrown away.. 964618755_200(9).gif.a5e090048d4fc16ada4ab761de08db8f.gif

15 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Ken, I'm really not trying to pick a fight, but I respectfully ask can anyone seriously suggest there's much that's liberal about modern progressives? Don't today's progressives try to ban free speech and the open exchange of ideas everyday, as well as rewriting history?

Someone speaking on campus today you don't agree with?  Defeat them on the merits and strengths of your arguments? Heck, no - ban them from speaking. Don't like something in a book or movie from a different era? Well, do we provide historical context or even (gasp) let people glean that for themselves? No way: ban that, too.

I urge anyone who thinks they are so "progressive" in their thoughts and actions to study the classical liberalism of the nineteenth century and earlier. No classical liberal would deign to defend the rabid collectivism of today while so forcefully dismissing the individualist flickerings of yore.

I do believe the semantical ship has sailed: the terms "liberal" and "progressive" appear irreconcilable and really have little correlation in relation to today's modern political spectrum. 

And lest we ignore those aforementioned sins of the past, at the dawn of the previous American century there were self-touted "progressives" then as well. Their champions included Margaret Sanger and Woodrow Wilson. Those are two of the most racist and xenophobic people who ever roamed our public corridors.  (shrug)

No books or movies have been banned. If the IP owner decides not to reissue it, for whatever reason, that’s their right and it happens all the time. 

As far as colleges go, I agree that students have their right to free speech on campus, but if you’re not a student you’re SOL

16 minutes ago, Matty B said:

Good call on telling him not to communicate with you anymore. This person doesn't sound like friend material.