• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about collecting. (subject specifically: personal enjoyment vs spec books)
3 3

77 posts in this topic

"Sadly I noticed marvel keys after the movie comes out drops like flies.."

Villians who are not returning. Not the heroes who are coming back again and again.

For the most part, selling the heroes after the initial spike in any of these movies was a bad move. Heck, 1st app of Winter Soldier is now 2-3X what it was when the actual Winter soldier movie came out. I sold my TOS 39, 40, and 41, as well as 4 copies of Iron Man 1, when the movie came out. I sold my FF 5 and like 10 copies of FF 48-50 and Surfer 1 when those movies came out. ST 110 when they announced his movie. FF 52. All terrible decisions. 

1 minute ago, the blob said:

"Sadly I noticed marvel keys after the movie comes out drops like flies.."

Villians who are not returning. Not the heroes who are coming back again and again.

For the most part, selling the heroes after the initial spike in any of these movies was a bad move. Heck, 1st app of Winter Soldier is now 2-3X what it was when the actual Winter soldier movie came out. I sold my TOS 39, 40, and 41, as well as 4 copies of Iron Man 1, when the movie came out. I sold my FF 5 and like 10 copies of FF 48-50 and Surfer 1 when those movies came out. ST 110 when they announced his movie. FF 52. All terrible decisions. 

Well yeah those books will always be serious keys! I only have a half a small box of keys like Avengers 1, tales to astonish 27, Detective Comics 45 (first Joker story in detective), strangle tales 89, X men 6, Avengers 4, avengers 47-48, fantastic four 47-49, the eternals 1-19 (5 copies of 1) etc so I can't really compete with books like those but I get what I can afford 😂

5 minutes ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

Well yeah those books will always be serious keys! I only have a half a small box of keys like Avengers 1, tales to astonish 27, Detective Comics 45 (first Joker story in detective), strangle tales 89, X men 6, Avengers 4, avengers 47-48, fantastic four 47-49, the eternals 1-19 (5 copies of 1) etc so I can't really compete with books like those but I get what I can afford 😂

you're 22. that is quite a collection. did you bank $10K of bar mitzvah money 9 years ago and invest it in comics?

1 hour ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

Sadly I noticed marvel keys after the movie comes out drops like flies... It's kinda sad that it's all spec untill it's over and then it drops. I have ASM 129, Avengers #1 and Tales to astonish #27 so I have some keys but my Collection is mainly Golden age books! ASM 300 sadly is a book that will go up and down with time.. after the venom movie it dropped which doesn't give me too much hope for the current prices

You have some cool books. When I finish paying for Batman #47, I will then have three GA comics (Batman #46, Batman #47, and Four Color #178). I have considered trying to purchase Batman #40 - #49, just so I can say that I have a small GA run. But, by doing so, I would use up money that I need to purchase other SA books that I want, like Strange Tales #89 or Showcase #6.

However, in regard to your keys, I suggest that you check out sold prices on Ebay. You are likely going to be surprised, especially when you look at ASM #129.

21 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Your "friend" is an uneducated wannabe gatekeeper.

Buy what you like. Enjoy it. Don't let someone else tell you how to spend your money.

Agreed. You enjoy what you enjoy.  If he keeps bothering you. Cut him off.  He sounds toxic.   Someone that is a true friend shouldn't  gatekeep.  

https://www.yourdictionary.com/gatekeep

You can do both, you know.  If I were still buying new books and one of them that was considered a "spec" book fell into my hands, I would say "wow... how about that?" and immediately sell it to get books in which I was interested.  For example, if I could have gotten my hands on a score of UF books at the time they were "taking off" they would have lasted just long enough to get slabbed and sold.  You yourself post "...that book does NOT exicted (sic) me in anyway" while the books you are attracted to "...are solid investments and books I genuinely enjoy and love to look at..."  As it happens, those books have withstood the test of time as far as enjoyment and holding their financial values, while the years since they were published are littered with "spec" books that are lining birdcages now.  In this respect your instincts are (IMO and shared by many, many experienced collectors and investors here I'm sure) to be trusted.

As for your friend trashing your buys while touting his own:  Talk about other things, nod and change the subject, or just ignore him altogether because your way of collecting is providing you pleasure as well as (again IMO) a better financial investment.  Frankly if it were me, I would start to distance myself from such a person.  No amount of gifts is worth the aggravation received every time a hobby is discussed.

Comics are art first, commerce second. 

Buy the things you like, that appeal to you, or have sentimental value and don't ever apologize for that. But setting aside some $$$ for spec comics or great deals on comics that you can easily flip for a profit isn't a bad idea either. That way you'll have more $$$ for the comics that matter to you.

I guess it's about balance. If someone is solely into comics for the money, they're really missing out. 

7 hours ago, the blob said:

you're 22. that is quite a collection. did you bank $10K of bar mitzvah money 9 years ago and invest it in comics?

No am not Jewish 😂 for my birthday I would get $100 each from each of my grandparents! Plus my dad would help me  out by selling something from his collection like a coin! And he helped me fund my hobby! I am grateful that he gave up his hobby for me.also I would rack leaves for $40 bucks a house, I would also shovel snow for $40 bucks and during the summer I would cut grass etc! I would never buy lunch at school and saved and saved.took my dad's advice and we'll tada! I mean it took blood sweat and tears to get half a short box of books that are keys and  13 years of collecting. Instead of going out to eat or going to blow money I just saved and spent it on books I knew had some value to it!

Edited by Matthew Kyle Brasile

6 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

You have some cool books. When I finish paying for Batman #47, I will then have three GA comics (Batman #46, Batman #47, and Four Color #178). I have considered trying to purchase Batman #40 - #49, just so I can say that I have a small GA run. But, by doing so, I would use up money that I need to purchase other SA books that I want, like Strange Tales #89 or Showcase #6.

However, in regard to your keys, I suggest that you check out sold prices on Ebay. You are likely going to be surprised, especially when you look at ASM #129.

Yeah I know! It's crazy! And I think about it in terms of this! If I don't love the character, love the cover or love the story I would rather have something else and I got all the keys (becasue I can't afford anything else 😂Yeah I know! It's crazy! When I was younger I racked leaves, shoveled snow and cut grass basically all year $40 bucks a house and I would do every house around my block that I can over and over again! Plus I would get $100 from each of my grandparents and it adds up. I never bought lunch and I never spend money on things I did not need! I work a part time job while I go to college full time so I really can't compete with big time collectors but when I see some of my friends spend hundreds of dollars a week just on drinking and weed. I fell like my money is going the little longer way!

1 hour ago, SeniorSurfer said:

You can do both, you know.  If I were still buying new books and one of them that was considered a "spec" book fell into my hands, I would say "wow... how about that?" and immediately sell it to get books in which I was interested.  For example, if I could have gotten my hands on a score of UF books at the time they were "taking off" they would have lasted just long enough to get slabbed and sold.  You yourself post "...that book does NOT exicted (sic) me in anyway" while the books you are attracted to "...are solid investments and books I genuinely enjoy and love to look at..."  As it happens, those books have withstood the test of time as far as enjoyment and holding their financial values, while the years since they were published are littered with "spec" books that are lining birdcages now.  In this respect your instincts are (IMO and shared by many, many experienced collectors and investors here I'm sure) to be trusted.

As for your friend trashing your buys while touting his own:  Talk about other things, nod and change the subject, or just ignore him altogether because your way of collecting is providing you pleasure as well as (again IMO) a better financial investment.  Frankly if it were me, I would start to distance myself from such a person.  No amount of gifts is worth the aggravation received every time a hobby is discussed.

Yeah I am taking that advice! Someone else also pointed it out! I never realized it since I don't really have any guy friends due to my strong beliefs and stands on situations. I get along better with my female friends and they act more like guys then my guy friends. All my guy friends have drama but with my female friends I have none 😂 and I agree with what you said. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me that!

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Agreed. You enjoy what you enjoy.  If he keeps bothering you. Cut him off.  He sounds toxic.   Someone that is a true friend shouldn't  gatekeep.  

https://www.yourdictionary.com/gatekeep

That you for the overwhelming Support from the community! I really do appreciate you taking the time! 

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Your "friend" is an uneducated wannabe gatekeeper.

Buy what you like. Enjoy it. Don't let someone else tell you how to spend your money.

I agree after taking a step back on the situation! I appreciate you taking the time and helping out another collector!

10 hours ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

He said I should have bought Ultimate fallout 4 even though that book does NOT exicted me in anyway.

I have acquaintences who are speculators, as well as friends who are collectors.  I only discuss my collection with fellow collectors.

Just now, adamstrange said:

I have acquaintences who are speculators, as well as friends who are collectors.  I only discuss my collection with fellow collectors.

So I guess it's like Eric Clapton talking about Robert Johnson. He said if the person is not a lover of music then he would never talk about him or listen to him! I guess it should be the same for comics 

6 minutes ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

So I guess it's like Eric Clapton talking about Robert Johnson. He said if the person is not a lover of music then he would never talk about him or listen to him! I guess it should be the same for comics 

I am happy to chat about many things with a speculator, but, after observing that collecting conversations don't progress well for either party, I avoid that topic. 

If they don't like music, well, them's fightin' words. :sumo:

Everyone has their opinion on everything, including comics.  Thing is, your friend sounds like a grumpy old fart.  Where does he get this nasty attitude towards comics?  Did it come from his parents, older brothers, older everybody???  If you enjoy it, you do you.  I collected because I liked to read the books, I wasn't thinking about comics as investing.  I don't collect much anymore, but if I do...I'm looking for the artwork now.

Being that young and stuck in their ways/opinions will give them health problems.  Enjoy life, enjoy loved ones, enjoy comics!!!!  Someday they may be gone, but not today!!!

1png.png

6 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Everyone has their opinion on everything, including comics.  Thing is, your friend sounds like a grumpy old fart.  Where does he get this nasty attitude towards comics?  Did it come from his parents, older brothers, older everybody???  If you enjoy it, you do you.  I collected because I liked to read the books, I wasn't thinking about comics as investing.  I don't collect much anymore, but if I do...I'm looking for the artwork now.

Being that young and stuck in their ways/opinions will give them health problems.  Enjoy life, enjoy loved ones, enjoy comics!!!!  Someday they may be gone, but not today!!!

1png.png

Thank you! 😂 I agree ! I try to be as positive as I can be while everything in my life has a 15 foot cushion that protects me even if I don't want it or ever wanted it. Millennials made sure that Gen Z (my generation) is basically shielded from everything. I can't say anything out of line or I get kicked out of college and black listed. I try to experience the real world but everytime I do it always seems that they thought of every situation which over times you down. And his attitude is from him being a millennial. He thinks he has it bad even tho he makes $250k a year, has a beautiful soon to be wife, a brand new tesla, and works only 4 days out of it week. 😂 So I don't know I couldn't begin to tell you!