• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic books dead or dying?
5 5

339 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Ryan. said:

You say this like it's a bad thing. 

No it's not bad or good. Just making am observation on how they spend their money with regards to how they could spend their money. It's their choice like it's the same applies to me but it's just food for thought of how I could be spending my money and know it's gone forever.

22 minutes ago, the blob said:

I think those days must have been on the weekends as a kid in school isn't going to have enough time after school to make that kind of loot.

And yeah, those are totally feasible numbers on the weekends if you have a bunch of steady clients. It dries up during the winter though when there isn't the need for a lot of lawn maintenance. My cousin was doing the same mowing lawns for rich people out in NJ and that was 25 years ago. $300 a day, easy. He wanted me to come out and help him, but i didn't have a car so it was not feasible.

The $300 a day rate is feasible. But if he is working, say, 60 days a year making an average of $200 per day, that's $12000 a year. That's $60000 before he hits age 14.

He could have spent $50 a week on comics as a pre-teen, and he would still have about $47000 in savings. Where did that money go?

5 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I remember seeing a video on YouTube by JR Garage where the kid talks about how he used his lemonade stand to invest in penny stocks and that’s how he bought a dozen supercars by the time he was old enough to drive

Turns out his dad owned an exotic car dealership

Yeah I don't have that kind of money or that kind of luck 😂 boy scouts taught me the life lessons I still use to this day and being the best I can be with whatever ensures I live life without regrets 

At age 22 this kid has about 100k in liquid investments all while going to school full time, paying rent, and a new car loan even though he takes public transportation. I’m impressed. I guess I should have bought SpaceX stock 

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

At age 22 this kid has about 100k in liquid investments all while going to school full time, paying rent, and a new car loan even though he takes public transportation. I’m impressed. I guess I should have bought SpaceX stock 

Electronicals is very popular. 😉

4 minutes ago, Plantman said:

The $300 a day rate is feasible. But if he is working, say, 60 days a year making an average of $200 per day, that's $12000 a year. That's $60000 before he hits age 14.

He could have spent $50 a week on comics as a pre-teen, and he would still have about $47000 in savings. Where did that money go?

I have $14k~ in my bank account, I bought a car that was {2018 Subaru legacy} ($14,500 when all said and done) plus college I paid for college, I pay rent, bills, I bought my own phones and have my own plan. What do you mean where the money went? It's either spent or sitting in a bank or stocks. I don't know why I need to explain what I did with my money that I worked for? Is there any point to this or is it hard to believe that someone worked hard and earned the money as a young child? Cub scouts taught me to always work and be proactive in the community and same thing as a boy scout? The point was to be a more rounded person after leaving and becoming an Eagle Scout. Yes I do have nice things but those did not come from just doing nothing. I worked my butt off to get to where I am in my life and am damn proud of myself for what I have accomplished. It sounds like your condescending based off of my life choices

3 minutes ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

I have $14k~ in my bank account, I bought a car that was {2018 Subaru legacy} ($14,500 when all said and done) plus college I paid for college, I pay rent, bills, I bought my own phones and have my own plan. What do you mean where the money went? It's either spent or sitting in a bank or stocks. I don't know why I need to explain what I did with my money that I worked for? Is there any point to this or is it hard to believe that someone worked hard and earned the money as a young child? Cub scouts taught me to always work and be proactive in the community and same thing as a boy scout? The point was to be a more rounded person after leaving and becoming an Eagle Scout. Yes I do have nice things but those did not come from just doing nothing. I worked my butt off to get to where I am in my life and am damn proud of myself for what I have accomplished. It sounds like your condescending based off of my life choices

I'm proud of you. Dont listen to these Jugheads(comic book reference) . You are fine.

Though......

At 22 I was barely scraping fried bologna sandwiches and Cup O Noodles while going to college. So good on you.

Just now, dupont2005 said:

I know people who own landscaping companies that make less in a day mowing lawns than this genius of enterprise did when he was 9

Yep, let him have his fun. I think it's quite hilarious when someone comes on the boards trying to get us to respect them. It's kinda cute!😂

25 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

First off full time school is only 15 credits. I have class Monday (morning class and after noon class) Tuesday and Thursday for  all day but that doesn't mean it's impossible to have achieved what I have at my age. Why would I drive my car into New York City on 59th street? Why would I pay for parking and deal with traffic? It would take me an hour just to get to the college and find parking and pay for parking is a needless expense. I dont need your condescending passive aggressive attitude just because I have achieved a lot in my short time on working my butt off. I am a Proud Eagle Scout and I learned when I was in cub scouts that helping Community is an easy way to make money and be a head of the curve and look at me now! It's your own priority if you choice to go long with underestimating me because am young when it doesn't reflect my character rather your own. I love how the older generations complain that the younger generations don't do anything but when they do something it's like impossible to believe. Well it's not impossible and hard work pays off. I have a flag flown over the white house above my Eagle Scout shadow box with a letter signed by Obama, Jimmy Carter, George Bush and Barbara bush. A signed letter by Bill  Gates. You can believe what you want but I earned what I have.

Am disappointed that you would be so condescending to those who have common interests and ideals.

If you Google Space X it tells you what companies they use. So in sense you are buying Space X stock becasue when they announce something it goes up. It's a direct correlation.PXL_20210401_165906242.thumb.jpg.563ab99cf645687b121e959c0a809e14.jpgPXL_20210401_165830292.thumb.jpg.98e0433175a7afd69d6325275f821ce1.jpgPXL_20210401_170036945.thumb.jpg.d4314be58f163ffb8295efa4b9b9e7eb.jpg

PXL_20210401_165842435.jpg

PXL_20210401_165852214.jpg

PXL_20210401_165937655.jpg

Edited by Matthew Kyle Brasile

6 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

Yep, let him have his fun. I think it's quite hilarious when someone comes on the boards trying to get us to respect them. It's kinda cute!😂

I don't want respect from people who have poor character. It seems like all you do is be passive aggressive with little regards to the challenges and achievements made by someone else. and I didn't come on here requesting respect from a bunch of strangers 😂 you can say what you want but I know my character and I know what I did to get to were I am and I am proud of myself 

Edited by Matthew Kyle Brasile

3 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

I know people who own landscaping companies that make less in a day mowing lawns than this genius of enterprise did when he was 9

Clearly you don't know how much money it is for yard work where I live? Or how close it is to other houses? Do you have any idea how expensive it is to hire someone where I live? How much they charge for just putting up leaves? It's astronomical. Everything is expensive where I live. You can say what you want but I earned what I have and am damn proud of myself. You can choice to respect me or not am not asking for your respect from someone who clearly judges others for their hard work

1 minute ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

I don't want respect from people who have poor character

Now your just being rude! I'm really on your side my friend. I appreciate hard work, because that's where I got to where I am. You dont have to prove anything to these guys. 

So , with your original question.  No, I think collecting the "right" comics will never die.

Emphasis on the right comics.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

Clearly you don't know how much money it is for yard work where I live? Or how close it is to other houses? Do you have any idea how expensive it is to hire someone where I live? How much they charge for just putting up leaves? It's astronomical. Everything is expensive where I live. You can say what you want but I earned what I have and am damn proud of myself. You can choice to respect me or not am not asking for your respect from someone who clearly judges others for their hard work

Come live in California,  if you want to talk expensive. 😩

2 minutes ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

My brother in law does lawn care in the country clubs surrounding Palm Springs. The private gated neighborhoods where people like Merv Griffen, Bob Hope, and Arnold Palmer built their mansions. The areas where people like Leonardo DiCaprio and Kylie Jenner own property now. It’s not cheap there either. But those people wouldn’t hire a 9 year old kid because there’s thousands of grown men with work trucks and equipment that will do it quicker, better, and cheaper. 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Kyle Brasile said:

Your life choices seem incredible: huge gains in the stock market, beautiful girlfriend who buys you expensive books, and a nice comic collection, among other things.

I do find it hard to believe that you could earn north of $100,000 before finishing high school, yet you do not have the funds to attend a state school.