• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Comic books dead or dying?
5 5

339 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Definitely way darker in tone than that. There was a sweaty trailer park sex scene with a child peeping Tom watching 

Does not sounds familiar.  Disturbing, but not familiar. 

Just now, William-James88 said:

Aren't comic books hotter than they have ever been right now? Books that were worth very little just last year are now hot collectibles. It's pretty crazy. 

Four years ago I took all my Usagi Yojimbo comics (I had pretty much all of them up through the Dark Horse run except Albedo #2) to the record store and got 50 cents each for them

I remember when wolvy 80 was hot, all because of one panel with a test tube.

It hasn't dropped all the way where it belongs, in the dollar box, but it has dropped significantly. 

I think a lot of these "hot" books have no place to go but down.

Spawn 1 is another example. I couldn't get this book when it came out, now I have 4 copies

Just now, William-James88 said:

Aren't comic books hotter than they have ever been right now? Books that were worth very little just last year are now hot collectibles. It's pretty crazy. 

Pretty sure this was the hottest comics have ever been.

ComicBookBurning-NH-13Dec1954.thumb.jpg.537bcd3edae4b9d3068b0788e8e1860b.jpg69799-full.jpg.e679933aa1745272d1025ed13ad16ab3.jpg

19 hours ago, Beige said:

I'd be amazed if the average age of SA / GA collectors is 60+

People I'm buying those books off here are in the 40 - 45 age range. My competition at auction is 35 - 50 age range I'd say with the odd smattering of 20 somethings.

The last big purchase in the wild (see Garage sales thread in CG) inc ASM #1, CSS #22 etc was from a 19 yr old.

He collected them, and was paying down his Uni debt.

Am 22.... And I know some collectors with the big $$ are in their late 20s early 30s... And some in their 40s who can afford to drop $50k on a book

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Pretty sure this was the hottest comics have ever been.

ComicBookBurning-NH-13Dec1954.thumb.jpg.537bcd3edae4b9d3068b0788e8e1860b.jpg69799-full.jpg.e679933aa1745272d1025ed13ad16ab3.jpg

The only other contender would be the comic book burning shown in ‘Professor Marston and the Wonder Women’, where outrage in the 1940s to his obsession with BDSM, as prevalent in his comic stories, led to the torching of Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics in order to protect the youth of America.

Unless that was made up for the film.  I’ve never read it here.

Edited by Ken Aldred

23 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

The only other contender would be the comic book burning shown in ‘Professor Marston and the Wonder Women’, where outrage in the 1940s to his obsession with BDSM, as prevalent in his comic stories, led to the torching of Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics in order to protect the youth of America.

Unless that was made up for the film.  I’ve never read it here.

True.. well if true..