• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Felt-tip ink removal?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I see this question has been kicked around before, but before I C&P this book, I’m wondering about the wisdom of trying to remove the nice little stink bomb left behind by some OCD kid smack in the middle of the cover title. On the one hand, it’s contained to the white, so that’s good. But would applying any kind of foreign substance automatically make it a restoration case?

AE4BF1F5-12DA-42FA-BEF2-8A545738157C.jpeg

Edited by Grottu

Looks like I’m talking to myself here (not for the first time!), but thought I’d post an “after” pic showing my attempt at ink removal. Went over the whole cover with an Absorbene pad and vulcanized eraser for about an hour. Nothing wet applied. Lost the gloss in the inked area for sure, but this is more or less a “practice” book for me so it’s to be expected (it was a thrift store find). Turns out the little bugger who wrote his name also used his pen to make some, uh, anatomical enhancements to the two ladies — not even gong to attempt to mess with that.🙄

C8E8ABD6-8878-4AF9-9CFC-254E09D22667.jpeg

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

I think it's best not to try to remove felt tip ink and I believe if you were to get it graded it would get a lower grade.

I think you’re probably right. I would never attempt this with a more valuable book. This particular one has some defects that will always hold it back, and I don’t intend to get it graded.

1 hour ago, Grottu said:

I think you’re probably right. I would never attempt this with a more valuable book. This particular one has some defects that will always hold it back, and I don’t intend to get it graded.

Since the writing was small and fairly neat, it probably wouldn't have affected the grade much at all. Personally, I wouldn't try to remove something like that in order to improve the grade. Just my 2c...

5 hours ago, Grottu said:

Looks like I’m talking to myself here (not for the first time!), but thought I’d post an “after” pic showing my attempt at ink removal. Went over the whole cover with an Absorbene pad and vulcanized eraser for about an hour. Nothing wet applied. Lost the gloss in the inked area for sure, but this is more or less a “practice” book for me so it’s to be expected (it was a thrift store find). Turns out the little bugger who wrote his name also used his pen to make some, uh, anatomical enhancements to the two ladies — not even gong to attempt to mess with that.🙄

Good Lord you removed the provenance of the legendary Robert A pedigree, the most valuable pedigree since Edgar Church! Oh the humanity!

On 4/2/2021 at 6:22 PM, Grottu said:

I see this question has been kicked around before, but before I C&P this book, I’m wondering about the wisdom of trying to remove the nice little stink bomb left behind by some OCD kid smack in the middle of the cover title. On the one hand, it’s contained to the white, so that’s good. But would applying any kind of foreign substance automatically make it a restoration case?

Yes.