• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What book turned you from a Kirby hater to a Kirby lover?
2 2

126 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

You’re only posting double page spreads

nope

RCO021.jpg

I'll be honest. I'm a bit of a Kirby hater. The man created a ton of heroes for both Marvel and DC, and I really value his contributions. I can also respect a lot of his more dynamic and action oriented framing, and I can stomach a lot of his BA DC work. But I'm really not a fan. His style, while unique, is just far too brash and blocky for me.

I'm much more a fan of finer/smoother more traditional artwork like Murphy Anderson's. And Kirby is almost the opposite of Anderson if I may say so lol.

I also noticed some people talking about Kirby's backgrounds. This is actually a beef I have with him and early Jim Steranko. When Kirby is paired with certain inkers I find his backgrounds far too elaborate. That coupled with Marvels poor printing quality in the 60's often leads to a distracting jumbled mess.

Ok I've been browsing various issues and i have to admit @dupont2005 is correct-Kirby panels are most often sans backgrounds.  Never noticed it before.

RCO008_1468807551.jpg

I've always wondered, did Kirby ever ink his own work? I'm sure he did somewhere but are there any comic books penciled and inked by Kirby? If so I'd be interested to check it out as I generally prefer artist's that ink their own work.

6 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

I've always wondered, did Kirby ever ink his own work? I'm sure he did somewhere but are there any comic books penciled and inked by Kirby? If so I'd be interested to check it out as I generally prefer artist's that ink their own work.

Not that I know of.  I know i do not like Curt Swan inking his own work.  His pencils were not thatt tight, maybe middle of the road.  A good inker really spruced up his stuff and a bad inker simply demolished it.

Curt Swan WW.jpg

Edited by kav

1 minute ago, kav said:

I know i do not like Curt Swan inking his own work.

Interesting. I can't think of any examples of Curt Swan inking his own stuff, did he do it often? I will say, I do enjoy Anderson inks on Swan pencils, so I think I'm gonna edit my previous statement: "I generally prefer artists that ink their own work," unless Murphy Anderson is inking their pencils, in which case I probably prefer that lol.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

Sinnott would frequently completely redraw kirby's faces:
6-inkers.jpg

I didn't know Thing had heterochromia! :whatthe:

4 minutes ago, HuddyBee said:

Interesting. I can't think of any examples of Curt Swan inking his own stuff, did he do it often? I will say, I do enjoy Anderson inks on Swan pencils, so I think I'm gonna edit my previous statement: "I generally prefer artists that ink their own work," unless Murphy Anderson is inking their pencils, in which case I probably prefer that lol.

Not often.  Mostly for posters and stuff.  Anderson and Klein were the best but Ray Burnley was also good.  John Forte was a hideous penciler but did a good job inking Swan.
Swan did do a tremendous job on this legion splash but that was atypical.  Usually it looked liked the Jor el page;
https://myfavouritefunnies.wordpress.com/40-uses-for-a-dead-funny-book/√-27-shades-of-swan/

swan-mordru.jpg

sm234ann9swan.jpg

1 minute ago, Mmehdy said:

I think Kirbys Sue Storm was not done justice by Joe....

he ruined it.

Plus made Reed Richards look insane/homeless.
The Kirby Sue was gorgeous the sinnott version look like a Karen at WalMart.

Edited by kav

6 hours ago, dupont2005 said:

the more common fang face

What abt the gaping maw so common especially in sal buscema's work?

Screenshot 2021-04-04 at 7.53.42 PM.png

2 hours ago, kav said:

What abt the gaping maw so common especially in sal buscema's work?

Screenshot 2021-04-04 at 7.53.42 PM.png

That's what she said. 

My first foray into comics was in the mid 1970's. I remember seeing Captain America 193 in the rack with a blocky, squatty Cap front and center. I had no idea who "King Kirby" was and was baffled that people were excited about him being "back". Each cover seemed to progressively feature uglier wide blocky characters with enormous teeth. Black Panther was even worse, and the stories he was telling had nothing to do with the rest of the Marvel Universe. The letter columns are full of complaints about that. I just didn't buy those, but Marvel gave him cover duty for Avengers 151-158, so I was forced to collect them. They're still the worst looking cover in the entire Avengers first volume.

After a 25 year hiatus, his old FF work looked good to me when I read those books again, and Thor look pretty good mostly. But those 70's books are still hideous.

Never was a Kirby art hater but first memories of seeing Kirby art was in Marvel Saga when I was a kid. Back then I thought that those are just old comics and nowadays FF and X-men looks way better. First Kirby cover that I was like damn that looks nice was Kamandi 1. 

I am not still a Kirby art fan but I am a Kirby fan because he pretty much created every Marvel character there is :)