• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A question to my fellow late night board members...

35 posts in this topic

Whats the longest time, in hours, you have ever stayed awake and how did you do it (through activities, work, reading comics, etc...)??

My personal best is 32 hours...did a bit of TV watching and computer using during the later hours...not to mention drinking a few liters of Coke!! thumbsup2.gif

screwy.gif

Is trolling a hobby with you?

Over 48 hours back in 1979 or so when I finished building my first computer and started teaching myself programming.

Again over 48 hours during the final heat as a software engineer at Lotus Development before 1-2-3 for DOS V2.3 went to market.

I often spent 24+ hours just having fun during a year I took off from work to just - well - have fun.

Over 48 hours back in 1979 or so when I finished building my first computer and started teaching myself programming.

Again over 48 hours during the final heat as a software engineer at Lotus Development before 1-2-3 for DOS V2.3 went to market.

I often spent 24+ hours just having fun during a year I took off from work to just - well - have fun.

You developed on Lotus 1-2-3? Awesome!

Yeah. Almost 8 years as I recall. 1-2-3 R2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.5, 4.0 and 1-2-3 for Windows. It was an amazing time for someone interested in computers!

Yeah. Almost 8 years as I recall. 1-2-3 R2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 3.5, 4.0 and 1-2-3 for Windows. It was an amazing time for someone interested in computers!

Life before Windows 893whatthe.gif

Life before Windows

In many ways those timers were a lot more fun. You always had to tweak, set dip switches, maybe program some patches. A 5% boost in performance was almost a religious experience. Such days are gone but I am really glad I experienced them.

I had a major brief due in 1999 and stayed up, I believe, 39 hours straight and 58 out of 61 hours altogether until I finally went to sleep.

I felt that I could stay up more at that point cause I was back on the upswing but could not image that was healthy so literally forced myself to go to sleep, which no surprise was not that difficult. Slept for about 11 hours straight and was back to normal.

A friend (Tim) and I in college were night owls who always used the rec room, played pool and watched tv, so we figured before we left school that year we should both try to stay up as late as we can..

We started it Thursday at around 12pm when we both got up for classes. We stayed up that night waiting until breakfast in the dorm which started at 5am. The breakfast food was pretty good so we figured we would stay up.

Hit the breakfast, then classes and around Friday night at 8pm our friend's parents came to town and took us out to a movie and dinner. So, its around Saturday morning around 4 am, and we had a video rental store that was open 24-7. We didn't have a car, and the buses weren't running so we walked and rented 3-4 tapes of the X Files. Watched a few of those.

Ben, our buddy who was in the bet with us fell asleep around 7am Saturday morning. My friend Tim, fell asleep around 12pm that day. A girl from the floor below us was hanging out with us and she wasn't tired, so her and I talked until around 4pm when she finally left and I fell asleep.

I won the bet, but didn't really win anything. Stayed up for 52 hours and I was so proud of it. Very very strange things happen to your body when you stay up that long. Your arms and legs start to feel very heavy and your eyes start to see things.

I think in the span of those 52 hours, between us all we smoked about 2 cartons of cigarettes and drank 2 24 packs of Coke. Ate in the dorm about 9 times and I can only imagine we all stunk like [embarrassing lack of self control]. It was and is my most memorable event at school.

72 hours, when I was in the Army. I might have snuck a 5-minute nap here and there, but we were pretty much on the go the whole time so it was virtually 72 hours straight.

Working as a lawyer, I`ve done 36 hours straight too many times to count.

Whats the longest time, in hours, you have ever stayed awake and how did you do it (through activities, work, reading comics, etc...)??

My personal best is 32 hours...did a bit of TV watching and computer using during the later hours...not to mention drinking a few liters of Coke!! thumbsup2.gif

110 hrs. in 1976. Was in the USMC in North Carolina, had a 96 hr. pass and no where to go so decide to see how long

I could go without sleep. Done without stimulants, and observed by 5 different people. I do not think I could EVER

do it again. It was easy the first 24 hrs, even going into hr. # 48 was a breeze. To keep myselfe alert I walked, talked,

and went to where people were working ie. all-night-dinners, 24hr. stores, ect. Hit the first "wall" at hr. # 50. Man

was that freaky, started having some heavy-duity halucinations 893whatthe.gif Next "wall' was at 60 hrs., sound,

movement, sight, were all going haywire. This is when I thought I will just give it up, but a friend said he wanted

to "see what it was like", so he took the jounery with me for the next 24 hrs. Into hr. # 70 I found everything to

be so funny that I thought I had lost my mind, but this lasted only for about 2 hrs. I would eat, shower, change

clothing, and try to act as if nothing was going on. By hr. # 80 word had gotten out about what I was into

and a few others wanted to see how much longer I was going to last. After this much time without sleep

I have no real memories of what was going on around me. After hr. # 96 (4days without sleep) came and

passed, I knew it was time to end it, but my mind and body fought me for the next 14 hrs. At last I was spent,

I went to bed, and slept for 12 hrs. stright. My 'bunnkie' (guy that slept above me) said that I was so still

that at one point he thought I was dead. I will tell you this I had some of THE most VIVID dreams EVER.

THE END.

During hell week in The Pershing Rifles,we were so sleep deprived that I literally was sleeping while on a forced march.If I got more than ten minutes continous sleep that week,I'd be surprised.

These days I often go 30 hours without sleep.

I'll come home to crash and get involved in something and before I know it,day has arrived and I've places to be.

I find if I get one day out of every couple that I can get six or eight hours sleep,I can be fine with three hours sleep a day for a few more days.

Years ago,I discovered an OTC supplement called Melatonin that helps me get good sleep. It doesn't put you to sleep,but somehow improves the quality of your sleep,as well as giving you very vivid dreams.I take it a few nites a week.

Around 70 hrs would be my max; that was about 8 years ago. Started to hallucinate...first it was fairly mild, for example, the sun was a slightly different color, kinda greenish. Then things got worse, and I saw this poster of a red sportstcar "come alive" with the car kinda floating around the room. I took a sleeping pill shortly thereafter and slept about 15 hours.

If you couldn't guess, my sleep patterns are pretty atrocious. Nothing near the level mentioned above, but I regularly pull all-nighters on my dissertation with a pot of coffee when the ideas are flowing. I figure I can sleep when I have tenure.

Wow some great stories!

For me, I work all night and seldom sleep more than 4 hours a day, except for the weekends I may get 6. It's nothing for me to be up for 30 hours any given Monday/Tuesday. I tell people sleep when your dead.

A few years back when my dad passed away I was up for over 50+ hours. I remember not being able to drive, it was like being on drugs.....