• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Bronze & Copper Ages

18 posts in this topic

Hi,

I’m interested in what ASM issues started and ended the Bronze and Copper Ages.

As everyone knows, Spidey first appeared in Amazing Fantasy 15 in August 1962, and the first ASM #1 was in March 1963 (both part of Marvel’s Silver Age).

The Bronze Age began in 1970, so would I be right that ASM #79 was the last Spidey issue of the Silver Age, in December 1969, and the Bronze Age began with ASM #80, in January 1970? 

If so, what year did the Bronze Age finish (as I’ve seen both 1983 and 1984 cited), and what year did the Copper Age begin?

Depending on whether it was 1983 or 1984, did the Bronze Age end in either December 1983, or December 1984, and did the Copper Age begin in January 1984 or January 1985?

What were the issue numbers for December 1983 and January 1984, and the issue numbers for December 1984 and January 1985?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Edited by MARVELous Fan
Changed wording

The answer is ‘yes’

all the research you’ve done is valid, and all arguments are valid.  There is no universally agreed upon cutoff, as these are fairly arbitrary eras created by fans, as opposed to some regulatory agency.  

Some would say it’s different for different brands, or even different for books in the same brand.

have fun, and good luck

12 minutes ago, revat said:

The answer is ‘yes’

all the research you’ve done is valid, and all arguments are valid.  There is no universally agreed upon cutoff, as these are fairly arbitrary eras created by fans, as opposed to some regulatory agency.  

Some would say it’s different for different brands, or even different for books in the same brand.

have fun, and good luck

Thanks!

Marvel had a short transition period where they raised their price from 15 cents to 25 cents and the reduced it to 20 cents, so most titles have a single 52 page issue with a 25 cent cover price. Those issues start the Bronze Age, as far as I'm concerned

Bronze Age DCs are a bit trickier.  If it is a 52 pager, it is BA., but some people start it earlier with Green Lantern 76.

Others may use different criteria.

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Marvel had a short transition period where they raised their price from 15 cents to 25 cents and the reduced it to 20 cents, so most titles have a single 52 page issue with a 25 cent cover price. Those issues start the Bronze Age, as far as I'm concerned

Bronze Age DCs are a bit trickier.  If it is a 52 pager, it is BA., but some people start it earlier with Green Lantern 76.

Again, speaking only for myself, I date the Copper Age to the price increase to 60 cents., and end it when they hit a dollar. 

It's just book keeping.

On 4/14/2021 at 11:24 PM, shadroch said:

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It wasn’t the start of the Bronze Age I wanted to know about, but the number of the last issue that ended the Bronze Age and started the Copper Age.

The Bronze Age began at the start of 1970 (January) so did it end at the end of December 1983 or December 1984 (as has been mooted by other collectors), and the Copper Age began in January 1984 or January 1985, or did the Bronze Age just happen to end in any one of the months in 1983 or 1984?

Any help on the above would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Andy

Edited by MARVELous Fan
Changed paragraphs

Pick any date you want.  Someone will agree and others will disagree.

For me, Copper starts when Marvel and DC raised their regular prices to sixty cents. Others date it from 1983 when the explosion of indies took off. Dreadstar 1 was the first Epic title, which was a real game changer. Creators could publish with Marvel but retain ownership in their work.

2 hours ago, MARVELous Fan said:

So,

When (and when) then?

Revat already gave you a pretty good answer with the first reply. The ages don't have hard break points and Spidey certainly doesn't. But Copper began around 1980/81

29 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

I like a transitionary sub-period from bronze to copper - Cronze, baby! Cronze!

Bopper :)

3 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:
3 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I like a transitionary sub-period from bronze to copper - Cronze, baby! Cronze!

Bopper :)

Bropper :baiting:

However, Bropper is an abomination. I'm Team Cronze all the way