• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does the grade matter on a sketch cover book?
3 3

48 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Like, for instance, there are 2 cgc'd books with both with a sketch from Todd Mcfarlane of Spidey, same amount of detail on both. They are on blank sketch cover variants. One is a 9.0, the other a 9.8

Will anyone care at all about the grading on these books? Would this impact the price of the book?

I don't believe so since the whole point of sketch covers is to get artists to draw on them. The grade itself is really just a bonus with the bigger point to be being cgc verified to show that the artwork on it is authentic. The only time I could see the grade really factoring in would be two drawings that are virtually the same by the same artist.

Keep in mind the price for these sketch covers are largely based on the artist and the quality of the drawing itself. If an artist uses a medium that might lower the grade of the book that's fine since the art itself is what I and many others are buying. For example if someone like Miller, or Jim Lee drew Batman but did it in a way that lowered the book to say a 7.0 would that really stop the majority of people who are really interested in it? The book will still have a 4 figure value not because of the grade but because of the art and who drew it.

For example here's a Bob Layton Taskmaster I own. It's 9.4 which is low for a modern book but it doesn't really matter all that much since the appeal comes from it being by Bob Layton and the appeal of the character. The price of it would probably be worth more if the grade was higher yes, but even more so if he drew, Iron Man instead since that's the character he's known for.

1106065167_boblaytontaskmastercgc.jpg.8c60015d251f0463b7b5af324bd00262.jpg

Edited by DeadpoolJr.

2 hours ago, an99 said:

I'd be pretty upset if Stan did that to my book. 😡

I heard he did things like that to cover a bad signature he just did,afters hours of signing that could happen a bad sig he covered,in a way its unique(shrug)

1 hour ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

I don't believe so since the whole point of sketch covers is to get artists to draw on them. The grade itself is really just a bonus with the bigger point to be being cgc verified to show that the artwork on it is authentic. The only time I could see the grade really factoring in would be two drawings that are virtually the same by the same artist.

Keep in mind the price for these sketch covers are largely based on the artist and the quality of the drawing itself. If an artist uses a medium that might lower the grade of the book that's fine since the art itself is what I and many others are buying. For example if someone like Miller, or Jim Lee drew Batman but did it in a way that lowered the book to say a 7.0 would that really stop the majority of people who are really interested in it? The book will still have a 4 figure value not because of the grade but because of the art and who drew it.

For example here's a Bob Layton Taskmaster I own. It's 9.4 which is low for a modern book but it doesn't really matter all that much since the appeal comes from it being by Bob Layton and the appeal of the character. The price of it would probably be worth more if the grade was higher yes, but even more so if he drew, Iron Man instead since that's the character he's known for.

9.6 pretty good!they work on the comics so 9.6 is pretty good considering the work he put in !

The more they work on it ,it may affect the grade here is mine ,layton and his daughter ,o i tought the grade was lower bad memory,sorry

img642.thumb.jpg.213033d64c8838189ee887bc543a1697.jpg

Edited by Namtak

Woah, Frank Miller sketches on blank covers go for 4 digits? Damn, should have gone for that recent signature series offer where he'd do a sketch (plus encapsulation) for 725. I thought it was too much at the time.

what about 2 books-one with an incredible sketch by say barry smith, 9.0, and another with just a quick somewhat sloppy sketch by barry, 9.8.
Which would command higher price ya think?

5 hours ago, kav said:

what about 2 books-one with an incredible sketch by say barry smith, 9.0, and another with just a quick somewhat sloppy sketch by barry, 9.8.
Which would command higher price ya think?

:bump:

On 4/14/2021 at 11:41 PM, William-James88 said:

Like, for instance, there are 2 cgc'd books with both with a sketch from Todd Mcfarlane of Spidey, same amount of detail on both. They are on blank sketch cover variants. One is a 9.0, the other a 9.8

Will anyone care at all about the grading on these books? Would this impact the price of the book?

I'd have to say it really depends on the age of the book. Like if it was Modern I'd think I would want a 9.8. I guess it also depends on the scarcity or overall value of the book, like for instance ASM 300...if Todd did a sketch on that then I'd be pretty happy with any grade above 8.0...if Ryan Stegman did a sketch on Venom 3 I'd want 9.8. I'd even go so far as to desire a 9.8 of UCX 266 if Andy Kubert did a sketch. But to each his own I guess....

3 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'd have to say it really depends on the age of the book. Like if it was Modern I'd think I would want a 9.8. I guess it also depends on the scarcity or overall value of the book, like for instance ASM 300...if Todd did a sketch on that then I'd be pretty happy with any grade above 8.0...if Ryan Stegman did a sketch on Venom 3 I'd want 9.8. I'd even go so far as to desire a 9.8 of UCX 266 if Andy Kubert did a sketch. But to each his own I guess....

we are talking about sketches on Blank cover variants, so it's all moderns anyways, and possibly completely unrelated books to the character being sketched on the cover.

1 minute ago, William-James88 said:

we are talking about sketches on Blank cover variants, so it's all moderns anyways, and possibly completely unrelated books to the character being sketched on the cover.

If it's unrelated it's bogus, to me that is tantamount to Actors signing books( unless it's Chadwick Boseman signing FF 52:sorry:)

But yeah it's ridiculous if artists are sketching on blank variants something unrelated and the grade any less then 9.8 is as much impacted and problematic in resale as the unrelated sketch

My bad for my earlier post ( I make unrelated comments on threads accidentally)

8 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Gotta have that 9.8 on the label :insane:

The grade on a blank cover book should be inconsequential.  2c

Is there any blank variants that are actually valuable in themselves? 

And what is the point of a blank variant? I mean that is almost a :censored: to collectors. When showing off a collection is the blank variant the mantelpiece?

I'm sure a lot of people collect nice covers as much as nice 9.8 labels :insane: I know my ASM 50 would have never been purchased as a blank variant.

I guess it is a new canvas for artists to sketch, buuuuut it should be related to the contents inside

Sketching something unrelated is a double :censored: to collectors :facepalm:

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 hour ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Sketching something unrelated is a double :censored: to collectors :facepalm:

Hot tip, if you make your heroes naked, you can say it's any character

Image 1 - Supergirl Blank Variant Cover Art Drawing Sketch Comic Superman Justice League

And yes, it's a real comic and it sold

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Supergirl-Blank-Variant-Cover-Art-Drawing-Sketch-Comic-Superman-Justice-League/254908606816?hash=item3b59bca960:g:PxUAAOSw0JtgVIdU

2 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

The point of a blank variant is for sketches...

That's why they're called "Blank Variant"...

Let's not gatekeep what collectors do with their own books.

FTFY

We all know this....nobody is gatekeeping anything....people are simply discussing the value in Sketching something unrelated on a "Sketch Variant" as you call it (my bad I've never heard that term before) seems like painting a pitchfork on the Mona Lisa, it's just destructive to the comic imo.

Edited by Hollywood1892