• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does the grade matter on a sketch cover book?
3 3

48 posts in this topic

I got into a huge fight with the folks from Desert Wind over this. I paid them to get Herb Trimpe and Len Wein to do a Hulk 181 sketch, using a blank variant they supplied.  When I went to pick it up, there was a box of them. Some 9.8s, some 9.6s, some 9.4s.  He handed me a 9.4 ad explained the books had been individually assigned before the sketches were done and it was all the luck of the drawer.  Frankly, I didn't believe him and told him so. That was maybe 5 years ago and it still pisses me off.

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I got into a huge fight with the folks from Desert Wind over this. I paid them to get Herb Trimpe and Len Wein to do a Hulk 181 sketch, using a blank variant they supplied.  When I went to pick it up, there was a box of them. Some 9.8s, some 9.6s, some 9.4s.  He handed me a 9.4 ad explained the books had been individually assigned before the sketches were done and it was all the luck of the drawer.  Frankly, I didn't believe him and told him so. That was maybe 5 years ago and it still pisses me off.

I totally get what your saying

5 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

327223A6-C436-4B6B-841A-11D36CC015B8.gif

Even with an abundance of makeup you couldn't make me that good-looking. I'm probably closer to some of the Aliens she has battled.

Good thread tho.

I mean I like sigs on books, but it's hard to get an accurate value on them, so I much prefer blue to yellow, related or not

I'm not a big SS fan.  I have maybe two dozen, but only a handful mean anything to me. I have an Avengers 4 signed by Stan and Joe, a German 

Cap #1 signed by Joe, and a Marvel Project  Super Powers also signed by them.  Most of the others I just picked up because the price was right.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

This is a great example. Because in your case, that whole box had the same quality of sketch (or so I assume) and it cost the same to get it done. So the only difference was the grade and yeah I totally understand wanting to get the 9.8 instead of the 9.4 in this scenario. Though I do truly wonder if on the secondary market, if any of those comics that were in that box were to be put on auction if the final hammer price would be all that different.