• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM ANN 1 writing on cover
2 2

19 posts in this topic

That is an extremely nice copy of ASM Annual 1!!!

If this book was anywhere from FR 1.0 to GD/VG 3.0 the markings would not be an issue.

I do not have my books graded, however, if this were mine and I was grading/cataloging the book for myself I would grade the book as if the markings were not present and then probably deduct a minimum of 2 grades, it would be cataloged saying...

"Amazing Spider-Man Annual 1 - VG/FN 5.0 (Would be a FN/VF 7.0 except for writing/markings on the cover)".

Not using CGC I am not extremely familiar with what qualifies for a "Green Label", does an otherwise higher grade book with writing/markings on the cover qualify?

Curious if this would meet the criteria for a green label considering it's in great shape aside from the colouring:

"A Qualified label is used by CGC for collectibles that have a significant defect that needs specific description, or to note an unauthenticated signature... For example, a comic book with a missing coupon that otherwise grades 6.0 will receive a Qualified grade, avoiding a considerably lower grade. CGC would give this book a Qualified grade of 6.0 and a Label Text notation “COUPON MISSING FROM PAGE 10, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY.” Or, if the book is signed on the cover it may be noted as “NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER.”

That is a gorgeous copy!  Without the writing, you might be looking at a 9.0 copy!  With the colored scribbling, probably falls to a 5.0.  That right edge looks ultra razor sharp, might want to make sure there hasn't been any micro-trimming performed :wishluck:  Beautiful book with vibrant colors!

I could see a 6.5-7.0 even with the writing. That sort of thing does not bother me at all. I would rather this copy than my current 3.0-3.5 copy. I dislike scribbles all over a book or someone colouring in parts of a cover but this is fine. Be nice if the scribbles were gone and just the mysterious 241 was present. If the 241 was the only thing there, I agree this could be a 9.0ish book.

What does the 241 mean is the fun part....number of comics the guy owned? An amount he owed someone? Funny thing is it looks like there are other number written under the green and blue scribbles...maybe the owner was addign something up and made mistakes before getting the correct answer? Ah the mystery!

8.5 or 9.0, gorgeous copy.

Don't have much experience w cgc in practice w this kind of defect, I'd guess a FN, maybe a FN+.

Imo, a lot of collectors would prefer this to a typical FN 6.0 comic, and a lot would prefer a FN comic reduced for normal wear, not unsightly blemishes (maybe half and half?).