• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FAKE CGC ??? PLEASE HELP !

49 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

:cry:

The thousand injuries of the blob I had borne as I best could, but when he ventured upon insult I vowed revenge. You, who so well know the nature of my soul, will not suppose, however, that I gave utterance to a threat. At length I would be avenged; this was a point definitely, settled. But the very definitiveness with which it was resolved precluded the idea of risk. I must not only punish but punish with impunity. A wrong is unredressed when retribution overtakes its redresser. It is equally unredressed when the Avengers fail to make themselves felt as such to him who has done the wrong. It must be understood that neither by word nor deed had I given the blob cause to doubt my good will. I continued, as was my way, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my to smile now was at the thought of his immolation.

He had a weak point this, the blob, although in other regards he was a man to be respected and even feared. He prided himself on his critical eye in grading. Few Boardees have the true virtuoso spirit. For the most part their enthusiasm is adopted to suit the time and opportunity, to practise imposture upon the moneyed newbies. In pizza and sushi, the blob, like many of his fellow boardies, was a quack, but in the matter of CGC grades he was sincere. In this respect I did not differ from him materially. I was skilful in grading myself, and bought largely on eBay when I could. It was about dusk, one evening during the supreme madness of the convention season, that I encountered my friend. He accosted me with excessive warmth, for he had been buying much. The man wore jeans. He had on a loose fitting t-shirt and his head held a sign saying "I want 9.8s". I was so pleased to see him that I thought I should never have done wringing his hand. I said to him "My dear the blob you are luckily met. How remarkably well you are looking to-day. But I have received a Priority box of what passes for Bronze Age in 9.8 Universal and I have my doubts."

"How?" said he. "Priority box? 9.8? Universal? Impossible! And in the middle of the convention season? I have my doubts."

I replied "And I was silly enough to pay over the full GPAnalysis price without consulting you in the matter. You were not to be found, and I was fearful of losing a bargain."

"9.8!" 

"I have my doubts." 

"Bronze Age!

"And I must satisfy them." 

"As you are engaged, I am on my way to BSD. If any one has a critical turn it is he. He will tell me." 

"BSD cannot tell Conserved from Restored."

"And yet some fools will have it that his eye is a match for your own."

"Come, let us go." 

"Whither?" 

"To your man cave."

Edited by PovertyRow
spelling

21 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

I'm not picking on you but the truly disturbing thing is how so many people assume, in their inexperience, that something is wrong, that something is counterfeit, that someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes, that someone cheated them, etc. I'm not sure where this level of panic and insecurity comes from.

Man I can see your point of view, but in my position it wasn't easy: first ever CGC book I've ever hold in my hand, I'm a student and I don't have "big bucks" in my wallet, so for me even 60€ is a considerable amount of money.

Anyway you ask where this level of panic come from: very simple, from the web. I've seen on YT a lot of videos of people claiming to have received fake CGCs from Ebay, even for 30$ books (search and you'll easily find them)....

11 minutes ago, Simone Costantini said:

Anyway you ask where this level of panic come from: very simple, from the web. I've seen on YT a lot of videos of people claiming to have received fake CGCs from Ebay, even for 30$ books (search and you'll easily find them)....

Fraud does happen. I wouldn't say that it never does but to automatically cry fraud is puzzling to me.

As far as youtube is concerned, I've seen plenty of videos (comics or otherwise) of people who don't know what the fudge they're talking about and yet talk like they're experts. 

4 hours ago, BladeTX said:

OK, then, should I not keep my CGC graded books in sealed mylar sleeves?  They look great but am I defeating this gas release process?  Also, how is this affected by age & paper type?  For example, a 1970's book make out of that old newsprint paper versus a modern book on glossy-type paper.   I would hypothesize that the new book would release far less gasses due to age as well as much superior paper.  Any thoughts on that?

I hope someone answers this. I've been leaving my slabs in their mylar sleeves, but maybe I should take them out.

3 minutes ago, tvindy said:

I hope someone answers this. I've been leaving my slabs in their mylar sleeves, but maybe I should take them out.

I personally leave them in the bag that comes from CGC for added protection with the slab.  They're open-ended so any potential off-gassing can still occur away from the slab. 

5 hours ago, BladeTX said:

OK, then, should I not keep my CGC graded books in sealed mylar sleeves?  They look great but am I defeating this gas release process?  Also, how is this affected by age & paper type?  For example, a 1970's book make out of that old newsprint paper versus a modern book on glossy-type paper.   I would hypothesize that the new book would release far less gasses due to age as well as much superior paper.  Any thoughts on that?

Not sure.  I have some of my slabs in mylar sleeves and I believe they allow gassing and they aren't a problem but who knows.  Without them the CGC case will likely suffer scratches over time.  I do believe that storing your books in a dry, cool environment, graded or not graded, is the most important factor. 

4 hours ago, Simone Costantini said:

Man I can see your point of view, but in my position it wasn't easy: first ever CGC book I've ever hold in my hand, I'm a student and I don't have "big bucks" in my wallet, so for me even 60€ is a considerable amount of money.

You've come to the right place to ask questions and you're learning more about CGC.  That's a good thing.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, Jeffro. said:

I'm not picking on you but the truly disturbing thing is how so many people assume, in their inexperience, that something is wrong, that something is counterfeit, that someone is trying to pull the wool over their eyes, that someone cheated them, etc. I'm not sure where this level of panic and insecurity comes from.

eBay. 😂 I've sold stuff on there for 11 years now I think. Not sure about comic people but mostly dealing in trading cards you get a lot of scumbags.

Open packs and hit you with a INAD, switch cards with damaged ones and keep yours. Even had some try to crack slabs and swap. 

Sports card collectors aren't as bad. I've sold $400 raw Mantles/Aarons etc that the buyer purchases, leaves feedback, and transaction is flawless. I think a lot of it has to do with the age of the customers. Pokemon/Yu-Gi-Oh people tend to be younger and cause infinitely more headaches.

You deal with that enough times and begin to just expect someone trying get you at every turn. Sellers used to do a lot of shady mess too, so just a lot of distrust on the platform in general in my opinion.

Edited by Yeahiwasder4dat