• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

The part 2 of the "promise collection has gotten off to a great start, I do not think I have ever seen it before but Dynamic #22 is amazing. Those 9.8 Marvels on page 7 of the preview...super. If they follow the pattern there should be 270 for this next sale. Given the prices attained in the first sale, Ha should reconsider even the small books and grade them all, I think the cost of grading will increase the sales price over and above what the grading will cost.

14 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

The part 2 of the "promise collection has gotten off to a great start, I do not think I have ever seen it before but Dynamic #22 is amazing. Those 9.8 Marvels on page 7 of the preview...super. If they follow the pattern there should be 270 for this next sale. Given the prices attained in the first sale, Ha should reconsider even the small books and grade them all, I think the cost of grading will increase the sales price over and above what the grading will cost.

The decision to grade probably isn't up to HA, but rather the consignor(s).  I'm sure that whoever owns the books is being advised on which books are worth encapsulation and which ones aren't.  I suspect the number of books being graded and TAT was taken into account as well.  But in one respect you're absolutely  right.  If the numbers reflected in overall sales are robust enough, even lesser books ...assuming lesser condition as well... may be up for reconsideration.

6 minutes ago, Sarg said:

Why do so many Promise books have $#@*&! writing on the cover? it's killing my buzz. 

Most pedigree's have a distinctive marking somewhere, and in this case it seems to be the letter "K" marked on some of the books.

Edited by Terry_JSA

3 minutes ago, Chief1332 said:

Was this during the time when the collector was, idk, 10 maybe 11 years old?  Hard to imagine it survived at all

I guess the 1940 books are the earliest ones in the Promise collection?

2 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

Most pedigree's have a distinctive marking somewhere, and in this case it seems to be the letter "K" marked on some of the books.

Many of the Selkirk books also had a "K" on them. Here is an example (you can see the K in the upper left hand corner):

2304161453081.jpg

I wonder if the Promise books came from the same distributor. Did the marketing information say in what city the Promise books originated? The Selkirk books were sold out of Washington State, but I don't know whether that's where they were originally collected.

Edited by jimbo_7071

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Many of the Selkirk books also had a "K" on them. Here is an example (you can see the K in the upper left hand corner):

2304161453081.jpg

I wonder if the Promise books came from the same distributor. Did the marketing information say in what city the Promise books originated? The Selkirk books were sold out of Washington State, but I don't know whether that's where they were originally collected.

Curse you :cry:  Now I have to go look at my Selkirk books. :sorry:

lol

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

2304161453081.jpg

No clue where the Promise Collection originated from but some books have a "K" marked on them while some others appear to have no marking at all. There were also some books that have a "C" marking as well with a date next to it.

3 hours ago, szav said:

Where's lou_fine when I need him to discuss the grading?  I mean, it was sorta covered ad nauseum during pages 20-120 but I do like a little less mud on the back of my 9.8s at least...

image.png.3eeb4a5f7142cdd0bcb476891686d0c3.png

Is that a 9.8 with shadows on the back cover?

There's no way.