• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

It would be a good experiment to buy some Promise books, crack them out, re-submit them as non-peds, and see what kind of grades they get. I don't think many of them would retain their grades. (I personally can't afford that sort of venture, but I encourage everyone else here to try it.)

To not have the Promise books worked on before grading would be like dropping a $10,000,000 bill on the ground for someone else to pick up.  The end state for all these books was to have been pressed at a bare minimum of once.  I suspect many of the ones that graded less than 9.0 will get careful scrutiny to see if further work could bump the grade.  If I had to venture a guess of how many people on the boards press their own books, I would take the over if the number thrown out was 100.

1 hour ago, tabcom said:

2021 #regradepromisecollection campaign.

All buyers of the collection return the items to CGC. Demanding that the grades be reevaluated down by two points.

Taking a stand, together we can fight injustice.

And paying for the re-slab, of course

21 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

To not have the Promise books worked on before grading would be like dropping a $10,000,000 bill on the ground for someone else to pick up.  The end state for all these books was to have been pressed at a bare minimum of once.  I suspect many of the ones that graded less than 9.0 will get careful scrutiny to see if further work could bump the grade.  If I had to venture a guess of how many people on the boards press their own books, I would take the over if the number thrown out was 100.

Exactly. Easy to spend other people's money.

7 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

well then for you Peter @Gotham Kid

upcoming Promises

Batman 1 2.0 CR-OW
Batman 2 2.0 CR-OW
Batman 3 4.0 OW
Batman 4 5.0 CR-OW
Batman 5 4.5 OW
Batman 6 6.5 OW
Batman 7 5.5 OW
Batman 8 5.5 OW
Batman 9 3.0 OW
Batman 10 5.0 OW
Batman 11 6.5 CR-OW
Batman 12 7.5 OWW
Batman 13 4.5 OW
Batman 14 6.5 OW
Batman 15 7.5 OW
Batman 16 6.0 OW
Batman 17 7.0 OW
Batman 19 8.0 OW
Batman 57 9.0 OWW
Detective Comics 55 5.5 OWW
Detective Comics 63 6.5 OWW
Detective Comics 70 5.5 OWW
Detective Comics 74 7.0 OWW
Detective Comics 75 6.5 OWW
Detective Comics 77 6.0 OWW
Detective Comics 81 5.0 OW
Detective Comics 83 8.0 OWW
Detective Comics 84 7.5 OWW
Detective Comics 93 8.5 W

I wonder if there’s a TEC #168 in this collection. There were some close to that issue in the previous auction. 

Edited by Terry_JSA

On 6/25/2021 at 11:09 PM, bpc3qh said:

image.thumb.png.23b07a878436492962a62c341eca7e4c.png

I'll be very interested in this book. I consider it a hugely underrated D.C. key, and Two-Face is, to my mind, #3 on the list of Batman's villains (behind only the Joker and Ra's al Ghul. Of course it won't come near the highest prices for the other Promise Detective books, but I'm very curious nonetheless to see how it does.

I’m curious to see how it does as well but at the same time this presents better than a 7.5 to me. The grading seems a bit off for this one. 

18 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

I’m curious to see how it does as well but at the same time this presents better than a 7.5 to me. The grading seems a bit off for this one. 

There seems to be a couple of tears on the bc amounting to approximately an inch that is "likely" the primary reason for the grade

17 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

There seems to be a couple of tears on the bc amounting to approximately an inch that is "likely" the primary reason for the grade

Didn’t see the back scan. I checked it out and I see one noticeable tear and a few slight ones, can’t complain as it’s still a nice presenting book. 

14 hours ago, batman_fan said:

so true.   the sentiment is different in the ostrich community.

57 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

so true.   the sentiment is different in the ostrich community.

Members of the ostrich community do sell books from time to time, albeit not often. I've sold three slabbed books in the last nine years; none were pressed before I sold them. Does that mean that I "left money on the table?" Perhaps—but not enough to make me or break me, I'll warrant.

23 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i press very few; my comment was directed only to what the promise owners' due diligence led them to.   obviously correct choice, imo.

If they wanted to have the books pressed, I think that it could have been done more judiciously. Is there a way to press a book without the risk of popping the staple? Can the staple be removed before pressing and then put back in after pressing without resulting in a PLOD? Maybe a book with a staple that is not aligned with the spine shouldn't even be a candidate for pressing. I would be willing to bet that the Cap 46 looked better before pressing, yet CGC's policy of ignoring pressing-related defects and awarding bonus points to books that look like pancakes has rigged the game.

Edited by jimbo_7071

32 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

If they wanted to have the books pressed, I think that it could have been done more judiciously. Is there a way to press a book without the risk of popping the staple? Can the staple be removed before pressing and then put back in after pressing without resulting in a PLOD? Maybe a book with a staple that is not aligned with the spine shouldn't even be a candidate for pressing. I would be willing to bet that the Cap 46 looked better before pressing, yet CGC's policy of ignoring pressing-related defects and awarding bonus points to books that look like pancakes has rigged the game.

To be fair you're making an assumption here.  You have no idea what the staples on that book looked like prior to it being pressed.  I've been very vocal here about my disdain for the way that CCS seems to pop staples, but without seeing before and after pictures here I don't know that I'm willing to be as adamant as you are that this is caused by CCS. 

1 minute ago, buttock said:

To be fair you're making an assumption here.  You have no idea what the staples on that book looked like prior to it being pressed.  I've been very vocal here about my disdain for the way that CCS seems to pop staples, but without seeing before and after pictures here I don't know that I'm willing to be as adamant as you are that this is caused by CCS. 

There are a LOT of assumptions made in this thread ... the first of which is that every book in this collection has been pressed. It seems like those who dislike pressing the most know the least about it. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

:whistle:

9F671873-8349-407D-80F5-A033320E9644.jpeg

Edited by Terry_JSA

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

There are a LOT of assumptions made in this thread ... the first of which is that every book in this collection has been pressed. It seems like those who dislike pressing the most know the least about it. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

It's also very presumptive to assume that every book that's not 9.8 was damaged by pressing.  I mean, these are 70-80 years old.  Most of them didn't make it to the newsstand in 9.8.