• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lignin removal and effects on brittleness
2 2

28 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Interesting thread.  I think anything that can improve the flexibility of brittle paper is a good thing.

Thanks!  That’s what it’s all about.  The books that may benefit from this will already by very low grade due to the brittleness, so a process that lands them into conserved grade isn’t really all that bad.  I’m a life long comic collector so of course this aspect excites me, really the implications are much more far reaching.

3 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

Thanks!  That’s what it’s all about.  The books that may benefit from this will already by very low grade due to the brittleness, so a process that lands them into conserved grade isn’t really all that bad.  I’m a life long comic collector so of course this aspect excites me, really the implications are much more far reaching.

Man if we could get paper to streeeeetch like a rubber-band-

26 minutes ago, 427Impaler said:

So you expect books using this process would grade as conserved?

5 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

So you expect books using this process would grade as conserved?

Yes, unless CGC sees it differently of course.  Currently aqueous and solvent washing is permitted, de-acidification requires water wash (not always) and that is where the buffers and fixative are added.  The de-lignin process is definitely less invasive than a solvent wash.  I certainly hope it would be considered conservation as It is the primary goal.

22 hours ago, 427Impaler said:

The gloss and kaolin definitely took a hit in de acidification (post lignin removal).  An aqueous method (double bath) was used to add buffers and to re-fix.  The post lignin product retains gloss and kaolin (some Pics in my other related post). After Process the paper improves stability (interior pages generally move from brittle to cream or slightly brittle, and is noticeable) this impromptu experiment was to see if there was actually some more room to improve.  Zero attention was given to cosmetics, but I think the results warrant more tests and techniques. Later that evening we did a full 6 fold full paper test:

FEDAE7D4-17A8-4A43-A48B-04E0834E1CF8.jpeg

5785378F-4C19-432B-9DB5-C6F7AFD2149C.jpeg

Indeed, when it comes to brittle paper, washing helps, and, if the cover is getting restored, washing is a must. I went a step further in my fold test with pages, it included water, but then another test with an oxidizer, and observed a substantial improvement. Pre-wash fold test was one fold. After water it was six. Then after bleaching the paper it reached over 20 folds. Now, I haven't had an opportunity to apply the scientific method, but all the pages that get this treatment seam to be less brittle afterword's. Not like new again, but pieces are not falling off anymore. LoL

8 hours ago, Hero Restoration said:

Indeed, when it comes to brittle paper, washing helps, and, if the cover is getting restored, washing is a must. I went a step further in my fold test with pages, it included water, but then another test with an oxidizer, and observed a substantial improvement. Pre-wash fold test was one fold. After water it was six. Then after bleaching the paper it reached over 20 folds. Now, I haven't had an opportunity to apply the scientific method, but all the pages that get this treatment seam to be less brittle afterword's. Not like new again, but pieces are not falling off anymore. LoL

I’ve read a bit about the chemical oxidization helping with brittleness.  I think few people realize most world class art conservators have a variety of “bleaching” agents in their arsenal of tools.  In the right hands (like yours) they work effectively and with minimal impact.  Hopefully this experiment pans out into a viable alternative, tonite after hours I’ll dig up some other time bomb of a book and see if appearance can be retained or improved