• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever run into anyone trying to sell items that you knew they did not have... because you recognized them as your own?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Its wrong in many ways but it happen even on ebay to ude the same image over and over,sometimes they say the items may vary a bit from the photo but still dont think its right,that one might have gone a step further and took a pic of somone else,by lazyness or not the buyer should have the right info with the right pictures but yes i see it sometimes,but i dont buy from them lol

Guess I could understand a neophyte seller doing something like that but with all of us carrying digital cameras in our pockets it seems lazy/suspicious. Met a guy once at a conference who sold images to Doctors for their websites. He told me he made more money in legal settlements with Doctors who used his photos without compensation than he did licensing the same photos. 

This happened to me once on eBay, but it’s been so many years ago, I can’t recall what I was even selling. I’d had a listing up for a couple of days, and did a search on the time, likely checking to see if anyone had undercut my price. I saw a picture that looked familiar, and then recognized my desk and all of the stuff on it, and realized they’d just copied my pics to sell their item. I think I called eBay (this was back when you could actually get someone on the phone) and they apparently took my word for it, as the other listing was yanked.

Even if there are no bad intentions, and it’s likely that the seller is just too lazy to take their own pics, it’s still...creepy.

This happens to me frequently, and actually twice within the past few weeks with the same image. Lots of people seem intent on preselling items nowadays for stuff that "will be coming back from CGC" or whomever and like to poach images (or so this is the rationale given). The last time it happened was on FB and the post with the "borrowed" image was removed and the seller banned. The time before on eBay I sent an email but nothing happened and the item went unsold (their starting bid was $1000 with my image) while my copy sold for around $500.

There was someone who came on here and kept replying to WTB ads posted here who was contacting members and saying they had a friend who had the item you had posted as wanted to buy. They would PM you an email address to respond to them. There was a thread started about this member. Here. 

Before I found this thread I received messages from him about my WTB ad. I responded and we exchanged messages.  

I did send emails back and forth with the email he sent me. I asked for pictures.  He literally copied the only images he could find of the ones I was looking for.( They were my images)  When I messaged him back and asked for more he sent me the same images. Here are my original images I posted and our email exchanges. 20210423_115056.thumb.jpg.75c9c859ef8d33b6f013093b375f429f.jpg20210423_115045.thumb.jpg.203a9027aff5e88b0cc4c2eb322bd1b2.jpg20210423_114059.thumb.jpg.590ef160e74c65a7287b7b826d48f8b3.jpg20210423_114209.thumb.jpg.278afacf8d30c2b3e26c3c1a5f76df59.jpg20210423_114458.jpg.269558b616492401a69301fafd4e1696.jpg20210423_114624.thumb.jpg.c799fca2cfc02e70df55f2c0182cad23.jpg20210423_114810.thumb.jpg.59cdd3825adedd09bfdac435eaef1a10.jpg20210423_114859.thumb.jpg.9db3649355940c713888b7ca65dc7a4e.jpg20210423_115021.thumb.jpg.1804bfe9e037ff2952a5402c0c52ad9a.jpg

After I said that those were literally the same pictures I had posted all he replied was yes.. that was the end. No more messages.  :facepalm:

57 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Its wrong in many ways but it happen even on ebay to ude the same image over and over,sometimes they say the items may vary a bit from the photo but still dont think its right,that one might have gone a step further and took a pic of somone else,by lazyness or not the buyer should have the right info with the right pictures but yes i see it sometimes,but i dont buy from them lol

hm If only we had some kind of device, perhaps that would fit in our pocket, that could take a picture and allow us to post that picture online.  That would be amazing.

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

hm If only we had some kind of device, perhaps that would fit in our pocket, that could take a picture and allow us to post that picture online.  That would be amazing.

KODAK Fun Saver 35mm One-Time-Use Disposable Camera with Flash, 27  Exposures 8617763

So you have to wait a little bit for development, but it's worth it.

Edited by GACollectibles

38 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I know nothing about Legos. Is Hugh T Obrien right?

On a set like 110, yes he is right.  The parts catalog from earlier sets were no where near as diverse as they are today so their components can easily be sourced from many other sets.   However, few boxes can be found from that era in any displayable condition.   

Let set 110 was the very first set I ever received so I look for it from time to time.  In the four instances that I saw the set come with the box, I bought it twice with the second one being in far better condition than the first.   The second set I had was actually missing a few pieces that were easily replaced from other lots of bricks I have bought over the years. 

5 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

@Buzzetta has she responded?

The thread was removed by either the admins in the group or herself.   I reported it.  There were a couple of 'shocked' likes in the group.  Then it was gone.  I saved a link to her profile and can see that she did not block me.

I am hesitant to reach out to her because if she blocks me I won't catch any of her other posts.  

However, I did a search for her and no longer see her in the group. 

4 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

So this happened on Facebook this morning and I was wondering if anyone else ever ran into something like this?  I alerted the administrators after I responded and the post was removed after I had already screen shot everything.  I posted this image back on March 17th, 2015 on the CGC Boards.   HERE

I am not going to lie.  I was at first interested because I am always looking for a better condition copy of that set and then I noticed that the rug was the same throw rug as the one in my office.  Then I realized... that's my stuff.   My fear here was that if she used these pics to sell items she did not have that someone would go looking to see where else these images appeared and then traced them back to the CGC Boards thinking it to be me.  I like my reputations the way it is without outside interference. 

Wondering if that has ever happened to anyone before and what you did?  I figure it could be a good thread for laughs or heartache.   I figure with comic books it occurs with more frequency. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.09.35 AM copy.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.09.59 AM copy.png

No. No one has ever used my photos.