• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever run into anyone trying to sell items that you knew they did not have... because you recognized them as your own?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

My friend owned a deli on Long Island. He goes to open up one Sunday morning and the police are outside his shop. The bar two doors down had been broken into.  A couple hours later, someone he described as being very skeevy comes in and tries to buy beer but it's too early. The guy buys something else and pays for it with a bunch of singles. All of them are good luck notes signed to the bar owner across the street, including one he had signed himself.  He tries to detain the guy but he runs away.  He chases him down the street and a bunch of volunteer fireman grab him.

A few years back, someone answered one of my WTB ads. When I asked them for pics, they sent me photos that I had taken some years earlier of items from my collection. If it wasn't already eye-opening, I had used some of these images as part of my WTB ads for some time and this person must have been harvesting them for at least that long. These were images that I had stopped using for at least a year, and whoever did this had seemingly waited until those images cycled out of a Google's image search. By the time I was trying to set something up to hopefully catch the perp, they had already taken a few deposits from people and disappeared. Sadly, for every one of these crime of opportunity scammers/scams, there's always a willing party that falls for it, otherwise they would have long ago stopped trying.

Edited by comicwiz

When GotG 1 came out some low feedback seller reused the photo of my CGC Marvel Preview 7.
Messaged them.They were flippant.
Contacted eBay. Listing removed.
Added to blocked buyers to protect myself from future retaliation.
Checked back via messages a week later, and the seller was deleted.

4 hours ago, seanfingh said:

No. No one has ever used my photos.

lol - I was talking more along the lines of what @onlyweaknesskryptonite and what Joe said above said where he wanted to buy something and someone was using his pics in the ad for the item he was interested in. 

I stumbled upon it as I am always looking for a well presenting sample of that set and a specific train set I had as a kid. 

I just woke up.  It was a long day. 

Edited by Buzzetta

9 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

There was someone who came on here and kept replying to WTB ads posted here who was contacting members and saying they had a friend who had the item you had posted as wanted to buy. They would PM you an email address to respond to them. There was a thread started about this member. Here. 

Before I found this thread I received messages from him about my WTB ad. I responded and we exchanged messages.  

I did send emails back and forth with the email he sent me. I asked for pictures.  He literally copied the only images he could find of the ones I was looking for.( They were my images)  When I messaged him back and asked for more he sent me the same images. Here are my original images I posted and our email exchanges. 20210423_115056.thumb.jpg.75c9c859ef8d33b6f013093b375f429f.jpg20210423_115045.thumb.jpg.203a9027aff5e88b0cc4c2eb322bd1b2.jpg20210423_114059.thumb.jpg.590ef160e74c65a7287b7b826d48f8b3.jpg20210423_114209.thumb.jpg.278afacf8d30c2b3e26c3c1a5f76df59.jpg20210423_114458.jpg.269558b616492401a69301fafd4e1696.jpg20210423_114624.thumb.jpg.c799fca2cfc02e70df55f2c0182cad23.jpg20210423_114810.thumb.jpg.59cdd3825adedd09bfdac435eaef1a10.jpg20210423_114859.thumb.jpg.9db3649355940c713888b7ca65dc7a4e.jpg20210423_115021.thumb.jpg.1804bfe9e037ff2952a5402c0c52ad9a.jpg

After I said that those were literally the same pictures I had posted all he replied was yes.. that was the end. No more messages.  :facepalm:

That was literally the same exchange I had with him. Almost verbatim. He responded to multiple WTB threads I had. I even used an old email address to see how far I could push him before he just lost it. He was very persistent. 

39 minutes ago, Shags13 said:

That was literally the same exchange I had with him. Almost verbatim. He responded to multiple WTB threads I had. I even used an old email address to see how far I could push him before he just lost it. He was very persistent. 

Yeah. Only thing I covered in those exchanges was my email address and replied from email as well as his PayPal.  Didnt want to post private information, but when I first got his pictures I knew, but like you wanted to see how far he would go and what all he would attempt.  Finally I just asked are those my pictures.. That ended it. I agree he was definitely persistent. According to the other thread they banned him, but sure he will create another account and be back at it. One of the reasons that I decided to share this store here. At least try to make more people aware he is doing this and CYA... 

20 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

There was someone who came on here and kept replying to WTB ads posted here who was contacting members and saying they had a friend who had the item you had posted as wanted to buy. They would PM you an email address to respond to them. There was a thread started about this member. Here. 

Before I found this thread I received messages from him about my WTB ad. I responded and we exchanged messages.  

I did send emails back and forth with the email he sent me. I asked for pictures.  He literally copied the only images he could find of the ones I was looking for.( They were my images)  When I messaged him back and asked for more he sent me the same images. Here are my original images I posted and our email exchanges. 20210423_115056.thumb.jpg.75c9c859ef8d33b6f013093b375f429f.jpg20210423_115045.thumb.jpg.203a9027aff5e88b0cc4c2eb322bd1b2.jpg20210423_114059.thumb.jpg.590ef160e74c65a7287b7b826d48f8b3.jpg20210423_114209.thumb.jpg.278afacf8d30c2b3e26c3c1a5f76df59.jpg20210423_114458.jpg.269558b616492401a69301fafd4e1696.jpg20210423_114624.thumb.jpg.c799fca2cfc02e70df55f2c0182cad23.jpg20210423_114810.thumb.jpg.59cdd3825adedd09bfdac435eaef1a10.jpg20210423_114859.thumb.jpg.9db3649355940c713888b7ca65dc7a4e.jpg20210423_115021.thumb.jpg.1804bfe9e037ff2952a5402c0c52ad9a.jpg

After I said that those were literally the same pictures I had posted all he replied was yes.. that was the end. No more messages.  :facepalm:

It may sound odd, but when people in emails or messages call me "sir" more than once in a single sentence, I am out. They either think I'm a drill sergeant or a sucker. Usually, the cadence is all wrong along with the syntax. English is a difficult language to learn and when it doesn't sound nuanced, my red flag goes up.

7 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

It may sound odd, but when people in emails or messages call me "sir" more than once in a single sentence, I am out. They either think I'm a drill sergeant or a sucker. Usually, the cadence is all wrong along with the syntax. English is a difficult language to learn and when it doesn't sound nuanced, my red flag goes up.

That was one of many red flags. I was waiting for him to switch gears and ask if my vehicle warranty had expired or if I needed to consolidate some student loans/credit card debt.  

3 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That was one of many red flags. I was waiting for him to switch gears and ask if my vehicle warranty had expired or if I needed to consolidate some student loans/credit card debt.  

Yes. I have a running gag with myself since I got an email from Mrs. Debby ,. Just like that. With the comma placed a space too far. She wanted to (of course) hide her millions she inherited from her "very rich but deceased husband" in MY bank account! So the "revolutionaries" would not be able to seize it. The cadence and sentence structure always gives it away.

Recently, I get emails from PayPal" telling me my account is suspended due to some "very serious and unprecedented activities". And if I will simply "follow the link" provided, "this shall all be made well again." I ''must log in to my account at once".

Well, the email addy is never FROM PayPal. Always either RU or EU after a box full of jumbled letters and numbers. The madness of it is, people fall for it. Elderly people especially. But every day people too.

There are some great videos on youtube of people scamming the scammers.

27 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Yes. I have a running gag with myself since I got an email from Mrs. Debby ,. Just like that. With the comma placed a space too far. She wanted to (of course) hide her millions she inherited from her "very rich but deceased husband" in MY bank account! So the "revolutionaries" would not be able to seize it. The cadence and sentence structure always gives it away.

Recently, I get emails from PayPal" telling me my account is suspended due to some "very serious and unprecedented activities". And if I will simply "follow the link" provided, "this shall all be made well again." I ''must log in to my account at once".

Well, the email addy is never FROM PayPal. Always either RU or EU after a box full of jumbled letters and numbers. The madness of it is, people fall for it. Elderly people especially. But every day people too.

There are some great videos on youtube of people scamming the scammers.

About once every couple months I have to forward those messages to PayPal spoof. :facepalm:

Just now, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

About once every couple months I have to forward those messages to PayPal spoof. :facepalm:

Yes. I am also led to understand that marking some of these as "Spam" can bring it down on us as well. Not clear on how, but I simply delete just in case.

Ha. "Click on the link to log in to your account." Yeah. Get right on that.

2 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Yes. I am also led to understand that marking some of these as "Spam" can bring it down on us as well. Not clear on how, but I simply delete just in case.

Ha. "Click on the link to log in to your account." Yeah. Get right on that.

One I used to use, was to use the change of address link and send some spam email to another spams email address.  Let them just spam each other.. :sumo: