• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To make big profits, should you chase movie rumor keys, or buy cold keys and wait?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

Last night I read a movie rumor that sounded interesting.  And for a change, I felt like I was hearing this rumor early.  So I looked up the associated key book and determined the associated book had already sold out on Ebay and started to rise (i.e., I heard the rumor too late).

FWIW....I DO NOT...chase "movie announcement books".  I feel that it's like trying to get a financial windfall by purchasing all of the new comics that come out every month.  There are simply too many losers or too big of a potential mistiming potential to make it worth the few winners.

Instead, I try to avoid the hype...I don't want to buy a "hot" book that goes cold.  I've been enjoying collecting "cold" books, and might get hot out of dumb luck.

So (as a Friday thread topic of conversation), if a person were trying to flip books/make money off of the sweat and tears of the true collectors, which strategy do you think would work better?  

Chase movie rumors and sell fast, or purchase  "cold" keys or semi-keys and wait?

Just curious,

Steve

53 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Last night I read a movie rumor that sounded interesting.  And for a change, I felt like I was hearing this rumor early.  So I looked up the associated key book and determined the associated book had already sold out on Ebay and started to rise (i.e., I heard the rumor too late).

FWIW....I DO NOT...chase "movie announcement books".  I feel that it's like trying to get a financial windfall by purchasing all of the new comics that come out every month.  There are simply too many losers or too big of a potential mistiming potential to make it worth the few winners.

Instead, I try to avoid the hype...I don't want to buy a "hot" book that goes cold.  I've been enjoying collecting "cold" books, and might get hot out of dumb luck.

So (as a Friday thread topic of conversation), if a person were trying to flip books/make money off of the sweat and tears of the true collectors, which strategy do you think would work better?  

Chase movie rumors and sell fast, or purchase  "cold" keys or semi-keys and wait?

Just curious,

Steve

Neither!  We should all give our books to the few true collectors so they can enjoy having a great collection!

6 hours ago, snitzer said:

Each day the CGC forum feels a little more like r/wallstreetbets 💎🙌

I agree. Personally I’m of the mind that chasing these movie books is a waste of time. Just wondering if others feel the same way.

Edited by Westy Steve

8 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Just curious,

Steve

bitcoin

On 4/23/2021 at 11:06 AM, Westy Steve said:

Just curious,

Steve

I have struck it rich buying first appearances that were being ignored.  About 5 years ago i bought multiples of thor 134 (first high evolutionary) and FF annual 6 (first annihilus).  I paid around $10 for those.  They are now $100-$400 books.  I also bought FF 19 for $20, now a $300 book (first rama tut/kang).  And thor 103 I got for $30, now $300 (first enchantress/executioner).
Look for overlooked SA first app is my advice.

On 4/23/2021 at 2:06 PM, Westy Steve said:

Just curious,

Steve

My recommendation is to buy "Cold" cuts,  make a sandwich and enjoy watching the prices move.

:jokealert:

18 hours ago, kav said:

I have struck it rich buying first appearances that were being ignored.  About 5 years ago i bought multiples of thor 134 (first high evolutionary) and FF annual 6 (first annihilus).  I paid around $10 for those.  They are now $100-$400 books.  I also bought FF 19 for $20, now a $300 book (first rama tut/kang).  And thor 103 I got for $30, now $300 (first enchantress/executioner).
Look for overlooked SA first app is my advice.

It sounds like you're talking about low-grade raw books, and I don't mean to contradict you, but I'll just say that JIM #103 is not some kind of sleeper, that book has been extraordinarily tough (and expensive) in high grade for years.  FF Annual #6 has been a very hot book for probably about two years at least ... I'm forgetting when it suddenly popped but I don't believe it was any later than 2019.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

16 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

It sounds like you're talking about low-grade raw books, and I don't mean to contradict you, but I'll just say that JIM #103 is not some kind of sleeper, that book has been extraordinarily tough (and expensive) in high grade for years.  FF Annual #6 has been a very hot book for probably about two years at least ... I'm forgetting when it suddenly popped but I don't believe it was any later than 2019.

I guess my thor 103 is around 3.5-4.0.  Seems to be worth around $300.   I dont know exactly when FF ann 6 popped but they were plentiful for 10-20 bucks 5 years ago.  In around 6.0-7.5.