• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 6:46 PM, Gregd said:

Is there a website that tracks that? 

Here's the latest version: http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2021/cgc-average-market-capitalization-cgcamc-2020-year-in-review/

A regularly-updated website is coming soon.

On 9/16/2021 at 11:21 AM, Wolverinex said:

If you are 50, pick your top 25 and sell the rest. 

If you are 60, pick your top 10 and sell the rest. 

If you are 70 pick your top 3 and sel the rest

If you are 80, do whatever the heck you want

Not sure how old you are, but I assume well under 50 if you think that a 50-year-old should be actively engaged in a life-exit-strategy.

EDIT:  I'm probably misunderstanding your post though.  If you're starting from an assumption that the OP wants to liquidate, I can see where you're coming from.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 9/16/2021 at 11:39 AM, valiantman said:

Here's the latest version: http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2021/cgc-average-market-capitalization-cgcamc-2020-year-in-review/

A regularly-updated website is coming soon.

Wow!! That is fantastic and exactly what I was thinking about. 

is this only run for the top 25 books? Or did I miss a link?

And honestly looking at that list it completely makes sense - AF 15 should be on top as I thinking Spider-Man simply has so many things going for him. DC characters fell a bit- which I think no one can argue. Venom and Deadpool being on the list also makes sense as they are extremely popular amongst younger readers. They run about 14 million and 7 million respectively from a cap perspective as compared to a 69 million  cap for AF15. Not sure that’s so skewed. 

Now I don’t know where things have gone this year and where market caps and placement is now.

But if folks begin to think what the collective value of each of these key issues are and use such a tool like this, I think there is much more analytical data that could be used to support the under or overbought discussions. 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:18 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Not sure how old you are, but I assume well under 50 if you think that a 50-year-old should be actively engaged in a life-exit-strategy.

EDIT:  I'm probably misunderstanding your post though.  If you're starting from an assumption that the OP wants to liquidate, I can see where you're coming from.

I agree. I'll be 60 next year & have close to 10,000 books at this time. I'm a little perplexed. Someone has some 'splainin to do. I'm looking at you @Wolverinex  :)

There comes a point at which our treasure can frankly become a burden! The money aspect increases anxiety in that regard. No easy answers but sometimes less is more. If you have 10,000 comics how long can you spend with each of them? Ditch the ones you don't care about so much and hope they are valuable. Trouble is I like all of mine. (Shrug)

On 9/16/2021 at 1:02 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

There comes a point at which our treasure can frankly become a burden! The money aspect increases anxiety in that regard. No easy answers but sometimes less is more. If you have 10,000 comics how long can you spend with each of them? Ditch the ones you don't care about so much and hope they are valuable. Trouble is I like all of mine. (Shrug)

If I had 10,000 bb cards, would I be encouraged to ditch them? Or if I had 10,00 stamps? Or coins? I think people are focusing too much on the size of the collection...or the space it takes up...or possibly the work involved in maintaining the collection. I have to say, none of that is a problem for me.(as long as I use short boxes and not the long ones) And I'm going to go ahead and assume that I'm not the only comic collector who doesn't consider his collection to be a burden. I know there are collectors out there, probably many many, who do. I wholeheartedly agree with you that "there comes a point at which our treasure can frankly become a burden", but I'll never reach that point, even if I live to be 100...for me, there's no such thing as "ones you don't care about". So for some, pruning is advisable and acceptable, for others (including me), not so much. It's all fun for me. I enjoy collecting comics. I wouldn't enjoy pruning.

A good point well made! I'm glad the collecting bug is not a burden for you. Having been through several house moves in the last 20 years I'm glad my collection was manageable. It used to be a storage issue but no more. And yes, short boxes are a great solution to handling and finding. I put a list of the titles on the boxes now. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 9/16/2021 at 12:18 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

On 9/16/2021 at 12:58 PM, Gaard said:

I agree. I'll be 60 next year & have close to 10,000 books at this time. I'm a little perplexed. Someone has some 'splainin to do. I'm looking at you @Wolverinex  :)

On 9/16/2021 at 1:02 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Yes,  that's my assumption and pretty much what I'm following. First of all I'll have to say I'm a huge minimalist and hate clutter....I also have no desire to leave anything over two long books for my heirs because I know they will have no idea what to do with them..... it just becomes a lot of work that they won't enjoy. 

On 9/16/2021 at 10:51 AM, Hamlet said:

My problem is that I'm not really looking to sell, but it seems financially irresponsible not to sell at these prices.  What was hobby money is now money that could actually impact my lifestyle.  Some of the keys I bought at X are now 10-20X.  Unfortunately, they are also key books in the runs that I consider core to my collecting.  If I sell FF48-50, and other keys out of the run, is there really much point to keeping the rest of the run?  

When goofy speculation pops a book in my Strange Tales run, I'm starting to feel like I should take the cash, but then I'll end up with a swiss cheese collection, so why not just sell the whole run?

So far inertia has kept my collection intact, but I feel like I'm making a pretty big financial mistake by not selling now.

There's always the option of auctioning off your big keys (not on Ebay) and replacing them with lower grades. Do you really want to liquidate? Sounds like the motivation is more financial opportunity than wanting to get rid of your books. If you have enough huge keys slabbed in NM grades, replacing them with 6.0s for example can still bring in a healthy sum. The chances of you experiencing a vacuum caused by selling everything is greater than the chances these keys depreciate.

Edited by MGsimba77

On 9/16/2021 at 1:37 PM, MGsimba77 said:

There's always the option of auctioning off your big keys (not on Ebay) and replacing them with lower grades. Do you really want to liquidate? Sounds like the motivation is more financial opportunity than wanting to get rid of your books. If you have enough huge keys slabbed in NM grades, replacing them with 6.0s for example can still bring in a healthy sum. The chances of you experiencing a vacuum caused by selling everything is greater than the chances these keys depreciate.

I have a friend who is a lonnnnng-time Marvel collector. He was a reader in the early 60s, wrote letters to the editor in the later 60s, got into the comic biz, etc.
He decided to sell his collection several years ago and buy a business to help facilitate his retirement.
He bought lower grade books as replacements for the runs he really loved. He's not a 'slab' kind of guy, so he's happy that he can still read & enjoy the books.