• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2023 at 12:48 PM, KingOfRulers said:

However, I can easily imagine the demand for most GA books declining as I don't foresee the majority of those characters holding significance to society going forward.

Western, Romance, War, Crime, Funny Animal, Comic Strip characters.  Long term prognosis?  Their dead, Jim.

On 6/16/2023 at 4:26 PM, dikran said:

Major IPs like Disney (Mickey & Ducks) and Looney Tunes are far from dead and should be in demand long after we're gone, in my opinion.

Yes, I think the demand for Disney books is fairly safe. While Disney isn't immune to failure, it is a giant, and in general a fairly safe bet as custodian for their IPs.

But as mjoeyoung mentioned in his post, Doll Man #37 for example. How many buyers are out there looking for Doll Man books? Forget the general population, but how many hardcore comic book collectors are even aware that Doll Man exists? Even when siphoned down to the subset of "hardcore comic book collectors", I'd say that very few are aware of that character's existence. If I were a collector of GA, I'd be concerned for the longevity of books such as that. I think that most collectors of GA books such as Doll Man or any more obscure character that isn't "current", are mostly older collectors. At conventions, there are plenty of excited collectors that are teens and 20's willing to spend money, but they're all about Hulk #181. Gen-Z isn't hot for Doll Man. How can we change that?

On 6/16/2023 at 4:46 PM, KingOfRulers said:

Yes, I think the demand for Disney books is fairly safe. While Disney isn't immune to failure, it is a giant, and in general a fairly safe bet as custodian for their IPs.

But as mjoeyoung mentioned in his post, Doll Man #37 for example. How many buyers are out there looking for Doll Man books? Forget the general population, but how many hardcore comic book collectors are even aware that Doll Man exists? Even when siphoned down to the subset of "hardcore comic book collectors", I'd say that very few are aware of that character's existence. If I were a collector of GA, I'd be concerned for the longevity of books such as that. I think that most collectors of GA books such as Doll Man or any more obscure character that isn't "current", are mostly older collectors. At conventions, there are plenty of excited collectors that are teens and 20's willing to spend money, but they're all about Hulk #181. Gen-Z isn't hot for Doll Man. How can we change that?

I am a Freedom Fighters fan but no way I'd spend good money on Dollman. I too would allocate towards something similar to Hulk 181.  Still due to tiny quantity of GA Dollman, pun intended, the interest can be still lowish for it to still command fair coin, for a while anyhow. I do think Western and Crime stuff is varying degrees of toast as the next 20 years ticks by... Not sure why but I can see War books sustaining less causalities - yep pun intended.

P.S. Please ignore my signature for this posting.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:21 PM, Hamlet said:

Owning pretty much any SA Marvel in just about any condition is solely about being willing to pony up the money.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to disagree too hard, but my SA / BA Marvel want list is chock full of books that are very tough to track down.  Please let me know when you spot an Avengers #9 in 9.4 that I can snap up (to pick just one example).

I've got the money ... if I could find everything on my want list I would hand it over and complete my quest and figure out something else to do with my spare time.  lol

There's a reason I'm still hunting, and probably a few years away from completing every upgrade I have in mind.

On 6/16/2023 at 3:46 PM, KingOfRulers said:

For the most part, people aren’t buying Doll Man #37 because they are looking for Doll Man books.  They buy it because it has an awesome cover. 

On 6/16/2023 at 2:26 PM, dikran said:

Major IPs like Disney (Mickey & Ducks) and Looney Tunes are far from dead and should be in demand long after we're gone, in my opinion.

Comic genres.  As far as I can tell there have not been any new Disney comics since 2008, and DC publishes Looney Tunes on a quarterly basis.  There was the nostalgic resurgence in the early 90s, but, for the most part, this genre died along with Gold Key in the early 80s.

On 6/16/2023 at 6:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not trying to disagree too hard, but my SA / BA Marvel want list is chock full of books that are very tough to track down.  Please let me know when you spot an Avengers #9 in 9.4 that I can snap up (to pick just one example).

I've got the money ... if I could find everything on my want list I would hand it over and complete my quest and figure out something else to do with my spare time.  lol

There's a reason I'm still hunting, and probably a few years away from completing every upgrade I have in mind.

Hey Lou,

There's only 13 Avengers #9 in 9.4 (8 higher)....almost like trying to find PHMs in 8.5 or higher :devil:

-bc

On 6/16/2023 at 3:51 PM, mjoeyoung said:

There have been crazy price increases on GA as well during this bubble, across all genres.  Just a few examples:

Archie Comics #50, 6.5 grade, sold for $2040 in 2019, and then $4200 in 2022.

Doll Man #37, 6.5 grade, sold for $780 in 2019, and then $1680 in 2022.

Haunted Thrills #5, 4.5 grade, sold for $1425 in 2019, and then $4920 in 2021.

Marvel Family #1, 3.0 grade, sold for $2520 in 2019, and then $11,000 in 2021.

Punch Comics #9, 3.5 grade, sold for $3450 in 2018 and then $9600 in 2020.

Rangers #31, 6.0 grade, sold for $721 in 2018, SAME BOOK sold for $1920 in 2021.

Will the GA be immune forever? (shrug)

Sadly, apparently not.  You could have answered your own question with a little digging with those same books, although not so bad really for a couple of those (and HT5 seems immune so far).  Overall, still not shabby since 2018, but certainly off peaks in some cases.

6.5:  $4000 in Feb 2023

4.0:  $759 in Mar 2023; $618 in Apr 2023

Haunted Thrills #5, 4.5 grade, sold for $1425 in 2019, and then $4920 in 2021.:  nada contrary

4.5 sold for $20K in 2022 but $7500 in Mar 2023; 5.0 sold for $17K and 6.0 sold for $36K both in July 2022, but 7.0 = $15600 in Mar 2023.  

3.5 sold for $6600 in Apr 2023

Rangers #31, 6.0 grade, sold for $721 in 2018, SAME BOOK sold for $1920 in 2021.

If this is Rangers Comics #31 (1946), 6.0 sold for $739 in June 2023. 

Edited by Pantodude

On 6/16/2023 at 5:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yes, at nosebleed grades the early Marvels can be challenging, but it’s still much, much easier than most GA books.  There are 21 copies of Avengers 9 in 9.4 or better on the census.

There are 18 total copies of Master Comics 25 on the census.  A 9.4 copy hasn’t even shown up on the census.  That is not atypical for the Raboy Masters.  

On 6/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Comic genres.  As far as I can tell there have not been any new Disney comics since 2008, and DC publishes Looney Tunes on a quarterly basis.  There was the nostalgic resurgence in the early 90s, but, for the most part, this genre died along with Gold Key in the early 80s.

Looney Tunes is alive and well - my grand daughters & I watch the cartoons (which are awful by the way- give me a classic Wile E. Coyote/Roadrunner or Elmer Fudd hunting Donald Duck).

Continued exposure to that IP will allow some to collect books, just like not all MCU fans collect comics. Once the Rule of 25 kicks in, they may start collecting it for the nostalgia factor.

But you are right, not a lot of Western action that is relatable to younger people and the lack of exposure reduces the potential collector base.

-bc

On 6/16/2023 at 12:22 PM, Robot Man said:

At this point I am trying to finish off some more esoteric WWII covers and titles like Prize, Blue Ribbon, 4 Favorites, More Fun and such. Books that many years ago no one wanted but I did.

I’m sure not seeing any dips in them and rarely see many for sale.

WWBN and nearly every other Marvel are a dime a dozen. Not suprised to see them dip, even dramatically these days.

I see folks getting very choosy and careful in what they are spending their money on. And rightfully so. I know I am. 

I've sold a lot of my art pieces and really all of my higher-end comics. The only graded book I have left is my 1.0 Tomb of Terror #15 since I knew it would be pretty hard to replace since it would be hard to find one so affordable. 

On 6/16/2023 at 4:18 PM, Pantodude said:

Sadly, apparently not.  You could have answered your own question with a little digging with those same books, although not so bad really for a couple of those (and HT5 seems immune so far).  

6.5:  $4000 in Feb 2023

4.0:  $759 in Mar 2023; $618 in Apr 2023

Haunted Thrills #5, 4.5 grade, sold for $1425 in 2019, and then $4920 in 2021.:  nada contrary

4.5 sold for $20K in 2022 but $7500 in Mar 2023; 5.0 sold for $17K and 6.0 sold for $36K both in July 2022, but 7.0 = $15600 in Mar 2023.  

3.5 sold for only $6600 in Apr 2023

If this is Rangers Comics #31 (1946), 6.0 sold for $739 in June 2023. 

I'm already too long-winded in my posts.  I'm trying to cut down and avoid TLDRs. :shiftyeyes:

On 6/16/2023 at 6:30 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I'm already too long-winded in my posts.  I'm trying to cut down and avoid TLDRs. :shiftyeyes:

Short but sweet works!  I can definitely try that more often.  (thumbsu  You could have listed Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Comics #1.  That's another biggie that seems immune so far, with most recent 7.0 sale in Nov 2022 for $18K, compared to $6450 in 2019.  But GA has so few sales, any book could experience big swings without necessarily meaning a pull back.  Low sales could just reflect an imperfect market, with a high one just around the corner.  Maybe that happened w/ the recent Supe1.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:48 PM, KingOfRulers said:

No question that any of the SA and BA Marvel stuff is readily available in essentially every grade. Many GA books aren't readily available at all, and would require a lot of effort to find a copy in any grade. The supply certainly favors GA.

However, I believe it's pretty obvious that demand favor the SA and BA Marvel books but an overwhelming margin. A Master Comics run in 6.0 would be tough to complete. However, the pool of potential buyers that are interested in purchasing Master Comics is dwarfed by those interested in purchasing Hulk #181. And I don't see that changing. What keeps comic books an alive hobby and market is its continued relevance in society. As long as the IP holding overlords such as Disney and WB keep the characters alive on TV, movies, and video games, I think the character's SA and BA material will continue to see demand. However, I can easily imagine the demand for most GA books declining as I don't foresee the majority of those characters holding significance to society going forward.

People aren’t buying Raboy books because they love the GA characters.  They buy them because his covers are some of the best of any age.  The supply is tiny. As long as people collect comic books in any form, a small group of them are going to see Raboy covers and say I want to own that.

I’m not hating on Hulk 181.  I wouldn’t mind owning one.  If I really wanted one though, I could just click on one of the 20 or so copies at MCS and it would on the way.  There are more copies of Hulk 181 current available at MCS than exist of Master Comics 25 ( graded books only )

Honestly, I would be more worried about demand declining for Hulk 181 than most GA material.  GA material doesn’t need much demand, because there is low supply.  It can be a totally niche thing, and prices will be fine.

SA and BA Marvels require that massive demand to maintain their values.  That demand isn’t going away anytime soon, but it may very well have peaked with Avengers:Endgame.  It wouldn’t take all that much decline in that demand to make SA Marvels a lot cheaper.  

On 6/16/2023 at 4:05 PM, Hamlet said:

For the most part, people aren’t buying Doll Man #37 because they are looking for Doll Man books.  They buy it because it has an awesome cover. 

No, no, no.  It is the origin and first appearance of Doll Girl. B|

On 6/16/2023 at 4:05 PM, Hamlet said:

Gen-Z isn't hot for Doll Man. How can we change that?

I'm not sure if we can make any of these characters "cool" again.  How many young people know or care about once popular characters like Tarzan, Flash Gordon, the Lone Ranger and the Phantom, let alone Green Lama, Black Terror and Fighting Yank?  They will always be important historically, but culturally they've had their time in the sun. 

On 6/16/2023 at 4:21 PM, bc said:

Looney Tunes is alive and well

Sure, but as far as the comics are concerned, I don't buy any of these "dead" genres expecting to fund my retirement.

Looney Tunes #1, 5.5 grade, sold for $6325 in 2006, and fell in price on every sale after that until a low of $3120 in 2019.  THEN, one 5.5 sold for $13,200 in 2021.  A 7.0 sold for $4560 in 2019 and then one sold for $18,000 in 2022.

Rare? Yes. But undervalued to this degree?  I know that Space Jam:  A New Legacy came out in 2021, but I did not expect it to move comic values like this!

On 6/16/2023 at 4:40 PM, Pantodude said:

Short but sweet works!  I can definitely try that more often.  (thumbsu  You could have listed Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies Comics #1.  That's another biggie that seems immune so far, with most recent 7.0 sale in Nov 2022 for $18K, compared to $6450 in 2019.  But GA has so few sales, any book could experience big swings without necessarily meaning a pull back.  Low sales could just reflect an imperfect market, with a high one just around the corner.  Maybe that happened w/ the recent Supe1.

See.  If I had just "shown replies" I could have avoided all that typing! :nyah: