• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,171 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2023 at 11:12 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

FB_IMG_1692933056048.jpg.39ee00e0376a548f8ce2622232c4b7fc.jpg

I'm rich, rich I tell you ... until my copies sell each for $64.41.

As noted, this issue is common and if CGC feels like it they will grade many more 9.8 (higher?). Still some folks are still paying the big bucks for this and many more BA comic books as I relatively did years ago. Will, as some have and continue to predict, the bottom fall out for BA at some point? I, for one, wish I knew for certain.

I noticed this sale from Comic Link 

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DGhost%2BRider%2B1%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1589789

GPA last sale was just over 1600. I paid $1000 for my 9.4 white copy so either way I am doing fine.....Could be a small step that books are starting to pick up. At least the Bronze and Silver that really tanked post price surge

On 8/18/2023 at 1:21 PM, dikran said:

If you think ComicLink results are bad, you guys should check out Collectors Comics' latest auction... bloodbath, especially in the sub 100$ books. Lots of good stuff sitting at 50% of last GPA.:tumbleweed:

To my knowledge. nobody has done a REAL analysis between auction sites. Just bits and pieces, anecdotes and theories. 

If I had to bet, I'd say that for unique items it's impossible to say but for common items it doesn't really matter. 

The internet is so broad that most people use it to find what they want and you generally have similar people bidding on similar items. 

I'd say it's pretty much either a wash across the board or am almost negligible difference. 

The only addendum would be that a NEW auction house is probably going to not do as well because they don't have the client base. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 8/18/2023 at 12:46 AM, wiparker824 said:

I don’t disagree that the supply on a book like Hulk 181 is much higher than a book like Cinderella Love 25…but the demand is also much much higher. Whether the market is up or down that will always be the case. Wolverine is a household name, most people, even people who regularly buy comics don’t even know what Cinderella Love 25 is. It is a niche market, and while the low supply may always keep the book stable and high value the extraordinary demand is what props up Hulk 181, regardless of supply. That’s not to say Hulk 181 hasn’t been coming down since covid or won’t continue to do so, just that the truckloads of copies come attached with truckloads of demand on that book. 

Bronze runs were dead in the water when I got back in the hobby until CGC 9.8s made them desirable. Then they bounced, then dropped around 2010 when the "correction" happened (yes, there was a large correction around 2009-2010) and now they are skyrocketing again.

Remember when Dan Greenslaugh of Showcase New England came on here about 14 or 15 years ago and started sharing stories and he stated that Copper books were going to be the BA of the future and the BA was going to be the SA of the future and so on?

He got mocked and laughed at and left the forums...because comic nerds are such reasonable people. 

Oh yeah, we ran off Neal Adams, Carl Barks and I can't even remember who else. :screwy:

Oh yeah. Me. :D

---------------------------------------------------

Well, here we are and he was right. CA books in grade fetch what BA books fetched 20 years ago. 

Time to stop forecasting. The forecasting and speculation is what is driving the bubbles in comics and in every market, and more importantly, it is what is causing the price volatility as the Lemmings realize that some of the people in front of them fall off a cliff and then run in the opposing direction....until they see enough people running against their direction and then they switch back again. 

I think society has lost it's patience, it's ability to say no, it's ability to be objective and it's courage to stand it's ground on something they believe in. 

And so we have everyone fighting like mad dogs to not lose the same small piece of meat. 

In fact, I'll bet if you add all your wins and losses, the stress of worrying was NOT worth the $ you saved or made from that worrying. 

I've always operated differently. I'd much rather operate from a position of power, know what I want to do, make good decisions, stand by them and continue to make positive progress. 

Progress > Victory. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 8/18/2023 at 8:41 AM, whomerjay said:

” How much more popular can Wolverine get?

How much more popular can the Guardians of the Galaxy get?

Marvel Super-Heroes #18 was toilet paper to everyone growing up in the 70s and 80s.

Then it became a $15-20K book a decade ago. 

Last night a copy went for $76K on Clink. 

I know. Clink sucks. lol

Is there a SINGLE person on these forums that has been correct in their forecasts over the last 20 years?

Not one that I can remember. Except for me. :jokealert:

Anyone who's saying the market is down, or that ComicLink results are poor, is living in a completely different world than the one I inhabit.  Every single book I bid on this week (except for ASM #7, which went for a solid but not unreasonable price relative to recent auctions) went for extremely high prices.  I can't tell which were more painful, the ones I won or the ones where I came in second.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 8/31/2023 at 6:31 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Good grief.

image.thumb.png.fcf509679be4665540d684694ec6553b.png

Any bets that it was just two crzed bidders out there trying to beat the out of each other's wallet as it shot up by more than $40K in 20 bids within the final 2 minutes of the auction close:  :slapfight:  :slapfight:  :takeit:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/history.asp?item=1707644&back=%2Fauctions%2Fitem.asp%3Fback%3D%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH%2EASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmarvel%2Bsuper%252Dheroes%2B18%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item%5F1707644%26id%3D1707644%26itemType%3D0

I think we’re comparing apples and oranges… The SA 9.X market is doing just fine and fetching multi thousands of dollars as evidenced by ComicLink results of the past week. Alas not all of us can play in such rarified air. The collapse is happening in the lower grades, where we plebes reside. Also modern spec books of the new characters are down massively from the highs and continue to go down with every subsequent sale. It really puts a damper on finally winning that first Shuri for a 3 year low price only for it go even lower the following day on MCS or Heritage or whatever. The people buying those first Riris and Kamalas today will hopefully be buying our Thor 126 9.6s in 15-20 years but not if they’re constantly getting hosed by market irrationality and never come back. 

On 9/1/2023 at 2:45 PM, dikran said:

I think we’re comparing apples and oranges… The SA 9.X market is doing just fine and fetching multi thousands of dollars as evidenced by ComicLink results of the past week. Alas not all of us can play in such rarified air. The collapse is happening in the lower grades, where we plebes reside. Also modern spec books of the new characters are down massively from the highs and continue to go down with every subsequent sale. It really puts a damper on finally winning that first Shuri for a 3 year low price only for it go even lower the following day on MCS or Heritage or whatever. The people buying those first Riris and Kamalas today will hopefully be buying our Thor 126 9.6s in 15-20 years but not if they’re constantly getting hosed by market irrationality and never come back. 

We have the lower graded books falling, even on certain keys failing, while at the same time their 9.X counterparts are excelling.   

The more modern keys seem to getting hit the hardest.   While 'new' SA, BA, CA keys are holding, with only a few exceptions.   One of the obvious difference is a movie hype/anticipation based keys, vs long established character based keys.

The roar around Silver Surfer books, FF keys, and first series has definitely softened.

Early Hulk has softened from heights of late.

Census populations are definitely on peoples minds for non keys.  

You can currently pick up a #1 of this issue for the same money as this #6.   

image.png.efa4ff23d3adabd71e4aeaadc6f5cbc3.png

image.png.75be6515396a343916abc4bd149d81b9.png

image.png.ca452afa68dbbc02d1f0ff63df788cff.png

Edited by Microchip

On 9/1/2023 at 12:42 AM, COI said:

I'll say the same thing I've said every two dozen pages or so in this thread:

1) the comic market is so vast and varied that you can find data points to support any hypothesis you want about the status of the market or where it is headed. 

2) Everyone here is hyper focused on the top 5-10% of books (slabs, high grade) and ignoring the rest, so not only are these just anecdotes, they're anecdotes selected from a very small pool of sales.

3) There is no data for most sales. 

4) In general, collectors tend to fixate either on the books they lose at auction, or the books they take a bath on as sellers/consignors, and those limited market interactions create biases. 

These conversations are interesting enough, but we're all mostly in the dark about most things that don't fall into our individual areas of focus. We can play point-counterpoint all day and we can make an infinite number of plausible arguments based on hand-selected data, but ultimately most of us are just guessing. 

I don't know. You tend to gravitate towards blondes so I find your judgements suspect in general.