• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,170 posts in this topic

On 10/24/2023 at 12:37 PM, Axelrod said:

It's because the movie was bad....:gossip:

Though, I suspect there's no way the book could have maintained those prices even had it been a cinematic masterpiece.  

Is there any modern book that’s maintained it’s pre-movie hype price after release? UF4, maybe? Ignoring comic boom hysteria, of course. 

On 10/24/2023 at 4:25 PM, VintageComics said:

The Walking Dead. 

We had a thread almost a decade ago talking about how that book was dead in the water. Still chugging. 

Is the show even on TV? I stopped watching mid way through 2017. 

There are probably others but this one has surprised me. 

Good call. 

On 10/24/2023 at 3:13 AM, Microchip said:

Dam you Taika Waititi!!!!

From high of $2,500 speculating dollars for the variant, all the way down to "no one was bidding" sale of $18 doh!:facepalm::shy:

image.thumb.png.cca2b340820f4d1aab3578f839949612.png

BUH BUH BUH Sellers/Flippers/Investors/Speculators were stating it had "unlimited upwards trajectory"  

At this juncture you'd have to pay me $100 to take even a CGC 9.8 copy of the book to justify wasting the space to store it!

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/24/2023 at 5:04 PM, Beastfeast said:

Is there any modern book that’s maintained it’s pre-movie hype price after release? UF4, maybe? Ignoring comic boom hysteria, of course. 

On 10/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, VintageComics said:

The Walking Dead. 

We had a thread almost a decade ago talking about how that book was dead in the water. Still chugging. 

So like with anything collectible (or sick six sigma) related no absolutes as outliers will always exist. @beastfeast I consider your comment to be nearly 100% correct.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/24/2023 at 4:49 PM, MAR1979 said:

BUH BUH BUH Sellers/Flippers/Investors/Speculators were stating it had "unlimited upwards trajectory"  

At this juncture you'd have to pay me $100 to take even a CGC 9.8 copy of the book to justify wasting the space to store it!

Who said that? 

Not for nothing, it’s a really great story and will probably always have some price memory built in. 

On 10/24/2023 at 7:25 PM, VintageComics said:

The Walking Dead. 

Has multiple spin off shows and  multiple video games. Also a 24/7 streaming channel on Pluto TV. Walking  Dead #1 would make a great long term investment 20 years from now when the majority of their fans hit their 30s and 40s and have disposable income. 

Walking Dead #1 has a print run under 8,000. 

On 10/24/2023 at 7:53 PM, Beastfeast said:

Who said that? 

Not for nothing, it’s a really great story and will probably always have some price memory built in. 

Just a riff on the general hyperbole that existed here from spring 2020-early 2022

Or a new memory of $18  :bigsmile:

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/24/2023 at 7:54 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Has multiple spin off shows and  multiple video games. Also a 24/7 streaming channel on Pluto TV. Walking  Dead #1 would make a great long term investment 20 years from now when the majority of their fans hit their 30s and 40s and have disposable income. 

Walking Dead #1 has a print run under 8,000. 

The other stuff is sort of a wash because all other comic books have television shows and movies now as well as video games. 

The only thing I'd consider is the print run, but then what are print runs of moderns these days?

Don't they ALL get print runs of a few 1000 books now?

What would a "low" print run book be vs a "high" print run book?

On 10/24/2023 at 8:25 PM, VintageComics said:

The other stuff is sort of a wash because all other comic books have television shows and movies now as well as video games. 

The only thing I'd consider is the print run, but then what are print runs of moderns these days?

Don't they ALL get print runs of a few 1000 books now?

What would a "low" print run book be vs a "high" print run book?

Agree with your points, but The Walking Dead is something special like Deadpool as it broke out big to the modern mainstream audience. If I had to pick 2 comics post 1990s. It's The Walking Dead #1 and New Mutants #98. Both have young fan bases and once those fanbases get older and get that disposable income look out. 

A similar thing happened with Pokemon and Magic The Gathering.  Both looked down upon like 15 to 20 years ago and now both make huge coin. 

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

On 10/24/2023 at 8:40 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

The Walking Dead is something special like Deadpool as it broke out big to the modern mainstream audience.

Doesn't every junk book break out big if it goes viral?

It could just as easily have been a dud. 

On 10/24/2023 at 8:48 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Walking Dead wasn't a dud though. Will outlast a lot of our Marvel superheroes. It's a whole new world to explore like Star Wars. 

Right. I'm saying that people putting all these qualifiers trying to explain the success of the WD doesn't sound valid to me since all of the same arguments COULD apply to MOST comics. 

I agree it's not a dud, but it just as easily COULD have been. The fact that it isn't a dud is probably more of a testimony to great story telling and right time / right place than good marketing. Good marketing only goes so far and it collapses pretty quickly once the fad passes. 

I could be wrong but that's how I see it. Happy to change my views with more info.

On 10/24/2023 at 9:02 PM, VintageComics said:

Right. I'm saying that people putting all these qualifiers trying to explain the success of the WD doesn't sound valid to me since all of the same arguments COULD apply to MOST comics. 

I agree it's not a dud, but it just as easily COULD have been. The fact that it isn't a dud is probably more of a testimony to great story telling and right time / right place than good marketing. Good marketing only goes so far and it collapses pretty quickly once the fad passes. 

I could be wrong but that's how I see it. Happy to change my views with more info.

I don`t think it`s a fad as the comic book debuted in 2003. It`s like Spider-Man and X-Men as they are both here to stay.  I remember my old uncle in the late 1980s telling me Wolverine was a fad to his Tarzan and we know how that turned out. lol.

:fear:

On 10/25/2023 at 8:40 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Agree with your points, but The Walking Dead is something special like Deadpool as it broke out big to the modern mainstream audience. If I had to pick 2 comics post 1990s. It's The Walking Dead #1 and New Mutants #98. Both have young fan bases and once those fanbases get older and get that disposable income look out. 

A similar thing happened with Pokemon and Magic The Gathering.  Both looked down upon like 15 to 20 years ago and now both make huge coin. 

invincible 1