• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,330 posts in this topic

On 11/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, VintageComics said:

The top tier market is a different world than even the upper medium tier market. There were some CRAZY prices last night, and this time of year there seems to be a little bounce.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:33 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I must have been watching a different auction because the Bronze and Copper Age stuff I tracked continued its downward trend  (shrug)

From my perspective both are true. 

On 11/30/2023 at 9:36 AM, ThothAmon said:
On 11/30/2023 at 8:55 AM, VintageComics said:

The top tier market is a different world than even the upper medium tier market. There were some CRAZY prices last night, and this time of year there seems to be a little bounce.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:33 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I must have been watching a different auction because the Bronze and Copper Age stuff I tracked continued its downward trend  (shrug)

From my perspective both are true. 

I guess that depends on how we quality "top tier". I had several books go well over highs. It was shocking to me, but they were tougher books to find. 

If you're watching Copper and Bronze 9.8's, they may be top tier technically, but not difficult to find, so maybe I should have qualified my statement.

I agree with ThothAmon and JJJ.

On 11/30/2023 at 9:39 AM, VintageComics said:

I guess that depends on how we quality "top tier". I had several books go well over highs. It was shocking to me, but they were tougher books to find. 

If you're watching Copper and Bronze 9.8's, they may be top tier technically, but not difficult to find, so maybe I should have qualified my statement.

I agree with ThothAmon and JJJ.

gawd it hurts me to say this, but I often agree with you Roy.  🤣.

in this instance, I do not…The ASM 238 CPV in 9.8, white pages.

A very uncommon book made moreso because very few of them in the wild. Definitely a top tier Copper Age book (or late Bronze or whatever era one wishes to categorize it), and definitely desirable.

Sold in Sept this year for $8.5K.  Sold on Clink this week for $5.1K.

there are several similar examples and major price drops for Keys that continue to drop in price on clink, but I’ve got to get back to my Zoom meeting 😎

On 11/30/2023 at 10:58 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

A very uncommon book made moreso because very few of them in the wild. Definitely a top tier Copper Age book (or late Bronze or whatever era one wishes to categorize it), and definitely desirable.

there are several similar examples and major price drops for Keys that continue to drop in price on clink, but I’ve got to get back to my Zoom meeting 😎

I don't follow that market at all, so the CPVs never came into my mind. 

Keep disagreeing with me. I love it! :foryou:

On 11/30/2023 at 10:58 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I didn't see the outcome of the auctions but I'm thinking they are saying hard to find and meaning Gold / SIlver-Age books.  Even the ASM 238 CGC 9.8 is plentiful compared to some of the unicorns that they must be talking about.  Bronze and Copper and Modern still are tanking pretty much across the board compared to the peaks in 2021 / 2022.  A drop from $8,500 to $5,100 in 3 months is quite the haircut :( 

On 11/28/2023 at 6:42 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So then, $1.500?

Heh.  But you might be surprised by what Marvel Tales #s 137 and 138 are fetching in top shape these days (although nothing at all like some of the Golden Record reprints, of course).

The segment of today's slab market that I follow is the lower tier of the high grade Bronze.  At CLink these are part of the Session 2 auction, where the material and the values don't make the cut for Session 1.  And with the Marvels that sell in Session 2, I've been seeing falling prices over the entire year's worth of auctions.  It's gotten to the point where I feel comfortable buying the occasional slabbed book for my raw picture frame Marvel collection, cracking them out as upgrades and not being concerned that at one time they were going for a lot more and that when they're eventually sold they won't fetch what they once did last year and before as slabs.

Edited by namisgr

On 11/30/2023 at 12:09 PM, 1Cool said:

I didn't see the outcome of the auctions but I'm thinking they are saying hard to find and meaning Gold / SIlver-Age books.  Even the ASM 238 CGC 9.8 is plentiful compared to some of the unicorns that they must be talking about.  Bronze and Copper and Modern still are tanking pretty much across the board compared to the peaks in 2021 / 2022.  A drop from $8,500 to $5,100 in 3 months is quite the haircut :( 

But did anyone think paying $8500 for a copper key in 9.8 wasn't too much?

If they're throwing outrageous money at something, it's usually either ignorance or they want it bad and either way I don't feel bad for people who throw outrageous sums of money for relatively common things. There has to be a point where we can say, "OK this is too much" and in a world where everyone is afraid to speak the truth, $8500 is was obviously too much. 

Golden Age PCH is continuing its trend from the past few years with most keys or higher grade books going up in price. DC Bronze Age Horror (like Tech 407) is the one bright spot for Bronze and Copper Age books. Good luck finding High Grade DC Bronze Age Horror keys that aren't selling for more than the previous sale. Crazy market right now!

On 11/30/2023 at 2:17 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 11/30/2023 at 2:03 PM, VintageComics said:

But did anyone think paying $8500 for a copper key in 9.8 wasn't too much?

Depends on the Copper book…I’d gladly pay $8.5K for a TMNT #1 or Bone #1 or even a Newsstand ASM 300.

Fair points. I sold a Thor #337 9.9 a few years ago for less than $8K. Wonder what it could fetch today. 

On 11/30/2023 at 2:05 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Golden Age PCH is continuing its trend from the past few years with most keys or higher grade books going up in price. DC Bronze Age Horror (like Tech 407) is the one bright spot for Bronze and Copper Age books. Good luck finding High Grade DC Bronze Age Horror keys that aren't selling for more than the previous sale. Crazy market right now!

I've always thought of 15 cent books as Silver-Age but I guess this book could be just on the barrier between Silver and Bronze.  1971 books were definitely prior to the increase in print runs so I can believe 9.8s are not common (CGC 9.4 is the highest I see on E-Bay). 

On 11/30/2023 at 2:42 PM, 1Cool said:

Wait - isn't there a ASM 238 CGC with Tattooz up for sale right now on E-Bay for $1,850??

There’s quite a difference in price for an ASM 238 direct vs newsstand copy, with the newsstand version usually selling for a significant premium.

the Canadian Price Variant is scarcer than the newsstand version and commands a hefty premium over the newsstand version.

All three versions of ASM 238 were included in the recent clink auction, ended Nov 28.

here is a screen capture of the books along with final hammer price.

image.thumb.png.f0f309bec496b2cef9c554cc9db029c8.png

On 11/30/2023 at 12:08 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

There’s quite a difference in price for an ASM 238 direct vs newsstand copy, with the newsstand version usually selling for a significant premium.

the Canadian Price Variant is scarcer than the newsstand version and commands a hefty premium over the newsstand version.

All three versions of ASM 238 were included in the recent clink auction, ended Nov 28.

here is a screen capture of the books along with final hammer price.

image.thumb.png.f0f309bec496b2cef9c554cc9db029c8.png

Collector type variations, I would suspect.  I don't give a rat's patooty about the variants but I would see a completist wanting all three.  For me, I'm good with the direct version.  I haven't checked GPA, but is there a significant demand for the canadian price variant?  That would be a new nuance for me.  What's next?  A run on pence copies?

On 11/30/2023 at 3:18 PM, JazzMan said:

Collector type variations, I would suspect.  I don't give a rat's patooty about the variants but I would see a completist wanting all three.  For me, I'm good with the direct version.  I haven't checked GPA, but is there a significant demand for the canadian price variant?  That would be a new nuance for me.  What's next?  A run on pence copies?

The premiums for CPV’s have been around for several years.  Another well-known example of this is ASM 252

image.thumb.png.046b9bf98f5659bcb723a5b5dbed903c.png

On 11/30/2023 at 3:49 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

The premiums for CPV’s have been around for several years.  Another well-known example of this is ASM 252

image.thumb.png.046b9bf98f5659bcb723a5b5dbed903c.png

They've been around for years, but hasn't CGC only been recognizing them for about 5 years or so?

And they've mostly been dropping since the first copies have hit the market. That's a normal trend for any book. 

I think one dealer sold me they sold a CPV 9.8 for something like $5K because it was the 1st one and now all the rest are selling for much less. I can't remember which book it was. Maybe a Secret Wars #1 or something?

Anyway, nobody is saying they shouldn't fetch a premium. I think everyone agrees that 2021 was a real anomaly and that a correction was going to happen.

On 11/30/2023 at 5:37 PM, jsilverjanet said:

keep up n00b

That book must be so plentiful that people don’t want it if it doesn’t have the add on tattooz, don’t want it unless it’s newsstand and now don’t want it unless it’s the Canadian printing.  CPV is new to me.  I thought it was that stupid company that will put a sticker on books that present really well.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:56 PM, 1Cool said:

That book must be so plentiful that people don’t want it if it doesn’t have the add on tattooz, don’t want it unless it’s newsstand and now don’t want it unless it’s the Canadian printing.  CPV is new to me.  I thought it was that stupid company that will put a sticker on books that present really well.

:preach: