• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 1/10/2024 at 10:27 AM, 1Cool said:

I disagree with you here.  There is quite a large amount of drop available for big keys especially since a lot have not yet given up all their 2020 - 2022 gains yet.  I don't typically talk much about big key or golden age books since they are outside my wheelhouse but unfortunately everything that commands a high price has room to drop in these type of corrections.

Not sure about golden age prices dropping, since a lot of them didn't even have any sales during the peak of the market.

On 1/10/2024 at 11:45 AM, skybolt said:

Not sure about golden age prices dropping, since a lot of them didn't even have any sales during the peak of the market.

If a book is that rare then sky is the limit but I personally lump anything prior to Silver-Age as being old comics that I don't know much about and haven't taken the time to learn about them.  I can see why big money has congregated into Golden Age books the way people put money into gold bars when the economy goes through a down period.  They are a very small subset of the market and I let others who know that market handle them.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:57 AM, AGGIEZ said:

Getting ahead of the FF movies coming out by posting the FF48 books in prep for them to fly off the shelf when Silver Surfer shows up in a trailer? Seems like there are very few "key" characters that haven't appeared in the MCU, SS being one of them (don't count FOX appearance). 

I wish it was just that book, but you can look at most books and see an insanely abundant supply. 

There are 240+ graded copies of ASM129 on eBay at the moment, again, not counting the raws.

So many sellers, so few buyers.

On 1/10/2024 at 11:45 AM, skybolt said:

I was curious about my statement that Golden Age is just a small subset of the market so I checked books available on E-bay and there are 180,910 Golden / Platinum Age books up for sale currently on E-Bay while there are 8,180,288 comic books up for sale in general.  So Golden Age and older books account for 2% of the available books on E-Bay at the moment.  Now I know E-Bay isn't the best venue for most high priced Golden Age books but it does highlight how small of a portion of the market those books are (at least on the biggest sales site).

Let's expand that thought to include Silver-Age books which gave me 387,997 books up for sale in the Silver-Age area of E-Bay.  So Silver-Age accounts for about 5% of the available books and anything older then 1970 accounts for only 7% (!!!) of the E-Bay comic market place.  I'm sure that is because these older books are squirrelled away in collections but when you look at the numbers it's pretty shocking how small percent older books are of the overall market.

Edited by 1Cool

On 1/10/2024 at 10:15 AM, 1Cool said:

Great time to be buying if you think there is a great FF movie coming and people will see SS as the next Rocket or Groot then you will make a killing when it comes out.  I personally think we will see a surge in prices for SS books if the trailer looks good but I just don't have faith that a FF movie will not be a dud and SS just doesn't have cool enough story to make people have to have FF 48 at any price in droves.  I'm a seller of all FF books but if you are a buyer then my fingers are crossed that it goes your way!

No, I'm not a buyer of anything these days. I was just speculating on why there may be so many FF48s out there. 

On 1/10/2024 at 3:51 PM, Bookery said:

The theory is that golden-age will retain its value because it's rare.  But collectors for them aren't so common either.  The population within 20 miles of my shop is well above half-a-million.  The number of actual golden-age collectors I have is almost zero.   I say "almost", because one guy will purchase what pre-code horror he can afford.  And I'm not counting a couple of guys that will pick out pre-code westerns and humor from the $5 boxes.  And maybe one or two others that buy an occasional golden-age because they like the cover... but it's not their emphasis.  Now I still sell them when out-of-state collectors or dealers come through, so it's not an issue to move them.  But it's amazing to have so little interest in a population area of that size.  I'm pretty sure if I placed a $500 golden-age book (nothing too obvious, like a Timely or anything) out in the boxes for $50, it could sit there undisturbed for quite awhile.  

Age and rarity ultimately means nothing.  It still is all about demand.  There are literally thousands and thousands of old books from the 1700s and 1800s that are virtually valueless.

Would it be more likely that GA collectors just don't get to the stores anymore? 

I buy a lot of GA books. But I also know any shop within 100 miles of me sells 90% moderns,  a smattering of BA and SA and very little GA. 

I don't bother looking or really even dropping in,  unless my kids want to go. My local guy and I text if he gets anything good. 

On 1/10/2024 at 6:15 PM, KCOComics said:

Would it be more likely that GA collectors just don't get to the stores anymore? 

I buy a lot of GA books. But I also know any shop within 100 miles of me sells 90% moderns,  a smattering of BA and SA and very little GA. 

I don't bother looking or really even dropping in,  unless my kids want to go. My local guy and I text if he gets anything good. 

I agree with this. When I was collecting golden age good girl art books, if I knew there was an LCS that carried some of them, I would've been a consistent visitor to that store. The only thing I see at the stores I frequent these days are beat up westerns.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:28 PM, Kramerica said:

Wasn't FF #48 a "Warehouse" book? Along with #54? Like Thor #132 & 156? I thought there were cases upon cases of this in NM/NM+ scattered all over the place.

Be careful when implying a book is plentiful.   If the demand exceeds the supply, that is the main force in play on the price of that book.  

FF#48 is true key, with an amazing cover, the warehouse find status has lost relevance for this book. 

Edited by Microchip

On 1/10/2024 at 7:15 PM, KCOComics said:

There might be some of that, but after 40 years in business I pretty much know every collector in the region by now.  Plus, we're the largest vintage-material shop in the state.  If word gets out so that others will travel from other states and find their way here, you would think locals would be able to as well.  Now, true, GA is more erratic and getting harder to find than in the "old days".  But if you collected it and had a shop in your vicinity that at least occasionally gets it in, you'd stop by at least a few times a year (esp. since prices are generally going to be well below the big auction houses).  And anyway, you'd simply add it to the shop's want-list... what would you have to lose?  No... in this region, in one of the economically largest states in the nation, the collectors for it simply aren't here.  

On 1/11/2024 at 7:46 AM, Bookery said:

There might be some of that, but after 40 years in business I pretty much know every collector in the region by now.  Plus, we're the largest vintage-material shop in the state.  If word gets out so that others will travel from other states and find their way here, you would think locals would be able to as well.  Now, true, GA is more erratic and getting harder to find than in the "old days".  But if you collected it and had a shop in your vicinity that at least occasionally gets it in, you'd stop by at least a few times a year (esp. since prices are generally going to be well below the big auction houses).  And anyway, you'd simply add it to the shop's want-list... what would you have to lose?  No... in this region, in one of the economically largest states in the nation, the collectors for it simply aren't here.  

That's a fair point and reflects my own behavior.  

I don't spend hours diving through long boxes of comics looking for the few PCH books that might have slipped through.  But I do text regularly with my local guy and any time he finds GA books,  he usually sends me photos before he even purchase them. 

I'm not as close with the other shops (30 minutes to an hour away), but I do drop in from time to time.  

On 1/11/2024 at 4:46 AM, Bookery said:

Huh. Now I want to find out where you are so I can come visit another cool store!

On 1/11/2024 at 12:50 PM, Kramerica said:

Alright alright. I hereby retract my statement that FF #48 is plentiful and a warehouse copy.

It's both of course, but I think the current glut is the result of the run-up when Disney got the rights to the FF and the big pandemic surge in buying, slabbing and selling. Despite of the pricing drop we've seen, there still seems to be some demand with a few hundred sold copies on ebay. Over time, even non-key warehouse books seem to just get absorbed and pricing evens out with surrounding issues.

And I believe this is Mr. Bookery's store:

https://www.bookeryfantasy.com/

On 1/10/2024 at 10:07 AM, MatterEaterLad said:

I wish it was just that book, but you can look at most books and see an insanely abundant supply. 

There are 240+ graded copies of ASM129 on eBay at the moment, again, not counting the raws.

So many sellers, so few buyers.

This is the kind of data that makes me feel that values are bouncing around on a false bottom.  Eventually something has to give.  Either demand is going to pick up for some reason, or these sellers are going to be forced to reduce prices.  I just don't see where the demand is going to come from to keep values at these levels.

As far as the MCU, I think they undervalued the star power of Robert Downey Jr., Chris Evans and Chadwick Boseman in their success.  They really need to find some actors with their charisma for the main roles in Fantastic Four and X-Men.  Or they need to throw some big bucks at them, and get RDJ and Evans to return.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:15 PM, KCOComics said:

Have to agree... I buy plenty of Golden Age... would never even cross my mind to go to a comic shop looking for it.

On 1/11/2024 at 5:20 PM, EastEnd1 said:

Have to agree... I buy plenty of Golden Age... would never even cross my mind to go to a comic shop looking for it.

Hell, I would never dream of going to a comic shop to buy the high-grade CGC Silver Age and Bronze Age stuff I look for.  That's not meant to hurt anyone's feelings, but it's just a fact.  Any local comic shop who has something on my want list, and hasn't put it up on eBay, Shortboxed, MCS, or some other platform where I can see it, is kinda being irresponsible.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14