• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2024 at 11:04 AM, dick pontoon said:

To elaborate further, Clink was willing to submit selective data only. GPA insisted that Clink had to submit all sales, not just exceptional ones, or none. The discussion was played out here on the Boards years ago.

Talk about trying to cook the books to make prices seem higher in GPA.  Kind of shows you what CLink thinks about their final prices if they don't want the general public to know what they are.

On 5/2/2024 at 11:10 AM, 1Cool said:

Talk about trying to cook the books to make prices seem higher in GPA.  Kind of shows you what CLink thinks about their final prices if they don't want the general public to know what they are.

It wasn't so much GPA, which was a new thing then, but the realization by CLink, that the data represented many hours of hard work, and should not be free. That's what I heard... plus the selective option. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/2/2024 at 11:17 AM, jimjum12 said:

It wasn't so much GPA, which was a new thing then, but the realization by CLink, that the data represented many hours of hard work, and should not be free. That's what I heard... plus the selective option. GOD BLESS ...

Yup, that was my understanding as well. We don't know all of the back story, or the behind the scenes decision-making process, so I think it is best to just say they declined allowing GPA to scrape their data and call it a day at that. 

On 5/2/2024 at 11:21 AM, Stefan_W said:

Yup, that was my understanding as well. We don't know all of the back story, or the behind the scenes decision-making process, so I think it is best to just say they declined allowing GPA to scrape their data and call it a day at that. 

People should also accept that tier 2 and lesser titles that were published in the BA do not commonly occur in 9.8, and when the occasional example is released, a high price is not necessarily an outlier. Each comic is it's own market, there is no Funny Book Dow Jones, although extrapolations can still be made from sales data. GOD BLESS... 

On 5/2/2024 at 11:55 AM, blazingbob said:

But Jim,  the comic masses cry for "real time" pricing,  they want the person standing in front of them to be a Gucci dealer selling at Dollar Tree prices.  

Youtubers need the clicks,  streamers need the eyes and followers.  

Where is the RallyD stock market quotes on my shares of New Mutants #98 in 9.9?

AI is coming to the comic dealer convention and no reporting market.

Dealers will be implanted with chips that directly sync with a sales gathering application,  It will see us count the cash,  accepting the check or watching the venmo etc transaction take place.

You type a comic into a search engine on any device that you are looking for and the AI chip implanted in the dealer will send a signal to the brain that this guy needs this book.  

The comic community will be turned into the Comic Borg,  you will be assimilated.

Instant gratification for all

That is a long way of saying that comic books are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, so recent sales are the best indicator of present value. 

On 5/2/2024 at 12:06 PM, Stefan_W said:

That is a long way of saying that comic books are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them, so recent sales are the best indicator of present value. 

Also, we often forget that past performance doesn't guarantee future results, but why be a pesky buzz-kill? GOD BLESS ... 

On 5/2/2024 at 2:06 PM, october said:

Remember to ALWAYS pay less than GPA, thus eventually driving the value of all comics to zero. Smart buyer pro tip.

Absolutely,  I use TBF indicator

Toilet Bowl Flush.

Never fails me

The major factor is the Marvel movie hype is over. A great-looking movie coming out Deadpool and Wolverine, but yet both Incredible Hulk #181 and New Mutants #98 have dropped in price incredibly.  The Deadpool and Wolverine movie can`t even move the needle, and actually lower prices show people have moved on. Most people I know want to go to music concerts, sports events and great restaurants and experience good feelings with memories and not collect things. 

On 5/2/2024 at 5:07 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

The major factor is the Marvel movie hype is over. A great-looking movie coming out Deadpool and Wolverine, but yet both Incredible Hulk #181 and New Mutants #98 have dropped in price incredibly.  The Deadpool and Wolverine movie can`t even move the needle, and actually lower prices show people have moved on. Most people I know want to go to music concerts, sports events and great restaurants and experience good feelings with memories and not collect things. 

Hmmm.

Music Concerts aren't exactly cheap anymore.  Unless I'm watching a street musician I'm into the stratosphere for a concert.  

Sporting Events,  Try a NY Knick,  Ranger or Yankee game to feel fleeced

Restaurants?  Man if you want some inflation try eating out.  Better yet head out to California for some $18 Big Macs.  

On 5/2/2024 at 5:10 PM, blazingbob said:

Hmmm.

Music Concerts aren't exactly cheap anymore.  Unless I'm watching a street musician I'm into the stratosphere for a concert.  

Sporting Events,  Try a NY Knick,  Ranger or Yankee game to feel fleeced

Restaurants?  Man if you want some inflation try eating out.  Better yet head out to California for some $18 Big Macs.  

Yes, but you have great memories with other people. That`s the real key no pun intended. 

Most people and I  rather be with their family or friends and go to those venues and have great experiences and memories than have New Mutants #98 or other KEY comics slabbed.

So most people rather spend $2000 on great experiences than buy a slab that will sit in their closet. 

As Bob Dylan once said the times are changing.  haha.

On 5/2/2024 at 5:35 PM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

Yes, but you have great memories with other people. That`s the real key no pun intended. 

Most people and I  rather be with their family or friends and go to those venues and have great experiences and memories than have New Mutants #98 or other KEY comics slabbed.

So most people rather spend $2000 on great experiences than buy a slab that will sit in their closet. 

As Bob Dylan once said the times are changing.  haha.

While I have plenty of concert experiences that will stay in my memory forever they never gave me a financial profit.

And if anybody is following the concert poster market I wouldn't exactly call it on fire.  More like the Doors classic Light my fire  

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 11:10 AM, 1Cool said:

I didn't find that to be true.  Over a half dozen different auctions for around 350 high grade SA and BA slabs, I realized excellent prices overall and the after-commission returns were much better than anticipated based on past market prices.

It's almost certainly not the best venue for realizing the highest prices possible for every era and genre, but for the kinds of things I collected they were a major outlet for buying and selling for 15 years.

Edited by namisgr

On 5/2/2024 at 6:34 PM, namisgr said:

I didn't find that to be true.  Over a half dozen different auctions for over 350 high grade SA and BA slabs, I realized excellent prices overall and the after-commission returns were much better than anticipated based on past market prices.

It's almost certainly not the best venue for realizing the highest prices possible for every era and genre, but for the kinds of things I collected they were a major outlet for buying and selling for 15 years.

Many, many record highs occur at Clink, especially in SA areas. GOD BLESS ...