• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bought CGC slabbed comic and wondering if it is damaged :<
1 1

37 posts in this topic

So I bought CGC 9.8 slabbed comic from Ebay and it comes like that:

https://i.imgur.com/2PDWlDL.png
https://i.imgur.com/V5FbI9q.png

https://i.imgur.com/8MDFcfk.png
https://i.imgur.com/lwyiZsU.png

And now I am freaking out what is wrong with it. Is it damaged? Is it too much pressed by slab? Is it production issue so it didn affect the score?

40 minutes ago, Ray_Neyra said:

So I bought CGC 9.8 slabbed comic from Ebay and it comes like that:

https://i.imgur.com/2PDWlDL.png
https://i.imgur.com/V5FbI9q.png

https://i.imgur.com/8MDFcfk.png

And now I am freaking out what is wrong with it. Is it damaged? Is it too much pressed by slab? Is it production issue so it didn affect the score?

Yup, it's damaged.  Damaged so bad it's likely to get regraded at half of what it was.  If it's a 9.8, it's not a 4.9.  And if it comes back with that damage again, then it'll be a 2.45.  Best to just cut your losses.  /s

In all seriousness, i'm guessing it's Newton Rings, but hard to tell from your photos.  A picture of the full slab is more helpful then really zoomed in shots of the focus area.  Newton Rings are normal on slabs from a few years ago and have since been remedied by CGC.

4 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Yup, it's damaged.  Damaged so bad it's likely to get regraded at half of what it was.  If it's a 9.8, it's not a 4.9.  And if it comes back with that damage again, then it'll be a 2.45.  Best to just cut your losses.  /s

In all seriousness, i'm guessing it's Newton Rings, but hard to tell from your photos.  A picture of the full slab is more helpful then really zoomed in shots of the focus area.  Newton Rings are normal on slabs from a few years ago and have since been remedied by CGC.

Wiseass.....:roflmao:

734F0D07-6857-45FE-AFA0-A51F98AF5035.jpeg

41 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

From pictures of the full slab it almost impossible to spot it.
I didnt know the name for this effect "Newton Ring" so I didnt look for such problem with CGC slabs, but it look like it is it. Thanks.

I get from the answers that it is too easy question to be asked in this newbie area. Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, Ray_Neyra said:

From pictures of the full slab it almost impossible to spot it.
I didnt know the name for this effect "Newton Ring" so I didnt look for such problem with CGC slabs, but it look like it is it. Thanks.

I get from the answers that it is too easy question to be asked in this newbie area. Lesson learned.

First off, welcome to the boards. 

The question is perfectly fine to ask and appropriate. 

The pictures made it really hard to tell, but I would also guess Newtons Ring. Which is a perfectly normal occurrence in older slabs. 

If you feel like spending the $$ and time, you have the book reholdered.  Truthfully,  it's probably not worth the effort and I would just enjoy it as is. 

26 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

The question is perfectly fine to ask and appropriate. 

I don't know man.  It's kind of tiresome when people buy slabs with little knowledge and then freak out when it has newton rings.  Very common for uninformed buyers to return a book because of newton rings.  Someone takes the time and effort to create an account here, upload pictures but could've spent that time doing some research on their own about what's going on in that slab.

18 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

I don't know man.  It's kind of tiresome when people buy slabs with little knowledge and then freak out when it has newton rings.  Very common for uninformed buyers to return a book because of newton rings.  Someone takes the time and effort to create an account here, upload pictures but could've spent that time doing some research on their own about what's going on in that slab.

I can appreciate that. 

I just think it's nuanced enough that if you've never dealt with it, you don't really know what to ask or where to look. 

I also think the more people involved in the hobby, the better. So I try to lend my knowledge where I can. 

24 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

But isn't asking the question here (research)?

8 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I can appreciate that. 

I just think it's nuanced enough that if you've never dealt with it, you don't really know what to ask or where to look. 

I also think the more people involved in the hobby, the better. So I try to lend my knowledge where I can. 

2 minutes ago, Spawnfreak said:

But isn't asking the question here (research)?

You could easily google it or actually do research on the forums by reading what's already here instead of "freaking out" as he stated:

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=cgc+slab+marks+on+case

Maybe people should be researching more about the things they buy before they actually buy it?  A little research before buying and maybe even actively engaging with boards members instead of "freaking out" on a somewhat blind purchase would yield better results.

21 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

You could easily google it or actually do research on the forums by reading what's already here instead of "freaking out" as he stated:

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=cgc+slab+marks+on+case

Maybe people should be researching more about the things they buy before they actually buy it?  A little research before buying and maybe even actively engaging with boards members instead of "freaking out" on a somewhat blind purchase would yield better results.

No offense, but how would a "newbie" even know about Newton Rings? It took me several times to find a phrase that I could type into Google that referenced them, and I know about them.

Everyone had to start somewhere. I don't believe it helps the comic collecting community when you belittle beginners and their questions. When I joined the boards, this felt like a welcoming community. Nowadays, not so much.

25 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

No offense, but how would a "newbie" even know about Newton Rings? It took me several times to find a phrase that I could type into Google that referenced them, and I know about them.

Everyone had to start somewhere. I don't believe it helps the comic collecting community when you belittle beginners and their questions. When I joined the boards, this felt like a welcoming community. Nowadays, not so much.

As my post alluded to, couldn't you do some reading on the boards or a Google search for "marks on CGC case" or something to that effect?  I'm all for "newbie" questions but when a new user comes here with 4 posts and says they are "freaking out" it affects sellers like me who are on eBay and get returns because of newton rings and uninformed new buyers who have no clue about much of anything.

20 minutes ago, Keys_Collector said:

As my post alluded to, couldn't you do some reading on the boards or a Google search for "marks on CGC case" or something to that effect?  I'm all for "newbie" questions but when a new user comes here with 4 posts and says they are "freaking out" it affects sellers like me who are on eBay and get returns because of newton rings and uninformed new buyers who have no clue about much of anything.

I think you come to this from a different place. 

As a seller, I can understand why this would frustrate you. You are dealing with returns and people being upset over something totally normal and out of your control. 

As collectors, I can appreciate how the hobby has grown and how much knowledge you really need at this point. 

I mean, I started collecting just before CGC started.  eBay was in it's infancy.  And you never really looked at books and thought "that's a 4.5" or "that one has a shot at a 9.8". In most cases you were just happy to find a decent copy of a book you were looking copy (and could afford). 

The hobby was pretty straightforward. 3rd party grading, encapsulation, the 9.8 craze, access to nearly any books at various selling forums and Auction houses has enhanced the hobby, but it sure hasn't made it easier on the new guys.  

But I enjoy sharing knowledge and helping folks where I can. The more I tell people about Newton's ring, the fewer returns you'll get on eBay lol. 

Oh. I did not expected that my question will spark such discusion. I will say that I could probably try searching for something like marks on CGC case, but as I checked it was not on exterior case but rather inside I did not think about it.

About "return on ebay". If you have such problem maybe write about it on auction description if you know given comic have it? lol.

1 hour ago, Keys_Collector said:

As my post alluded to, T you do some reading on the boards or a Google search for "marks on CGC case" or something to that effect?  I'm all for "newbie" questions but when a new user comes here with 4 posts and says they are "freaking out" it affects sellers like me who are on eBay and get returns because of newton rings and uninformed new buyers who have no clue about much of anything.

I understand your concern about buyers returning cases with Newton rings. I have been selling large parts of my collection over the past year. I have not sold any slabs on Ebay. I have only slabs here on the boards or on IG. The only buyers on IG I have sold to were also board members. As a seller, I have to be honest; I don't like that Ebay gives the benefit of the doubt to buyers over sellers. Are there devious sellers? Of course. But there are also devious buyers.

I did a search on "marks on CGC case." Only one post addressed Newton rings. And it wasn't the first one. We all know that many people only click on the first result from Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=marks+on+cgc+case&rlz=1CAWVQM_enUS926&oq=marks+on+cgc+ca&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j33i22i29i30l2.9025j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&surl=1

I understand that you were looking at these posts from a completely different perspective than I was. I was a teacher for 38 years, and it was part of my professional life to help people. If someone asks me a question, I just do the best I can to answer it, not unlike @KCOComics. Most of the time, the questions have already been answered before I get around to checking these boards.

4 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I can appreciate that. 

(worship)

38 minutes ago, I Am Inevitable said:

If people are Googling questions like that and only that they are stupid people to begin with. Searching "cgc oil" easily answers your question. Same for "cgc rainbow" and "cgc puddle" and "cgc grease".

So...you are saying the person you just quoted is a stupid person? hm

33 minutes ago, I Am Inevitable said:

It's not you per se, but rather a cumulative effect. We have 2-3 Newbs a day "freaking out" about questions that can easily be answered by using Google and by reading CGC's website. A lot of questions reek of greediness too, and I'm more inclined to mock flippers and speculators than help them.

We? 

So collectors who also flip and speculate aren't worthy of your attention? :facepalm:

47 minutes ago, I Am Inevitable said:

It's not you per se, but rather a cumulative effect. We have 2-3 Newbs a day "freaking out" about questions that can easily be answered by using Google and by reading CGC's website. A lot of questions reek of greediness too, and I'm more inclined to mock flippers and speculators than help them.

Says the gutless shill who has been here ,in his current incarnaton, for a whole 16 hours.  If you must mock someone, try looking in a mirror.