• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Silver is like Early Gold used to be
2 2

26 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, shadroch said:

That's because some damn tourist and his family rifled the inventory years ago.

Jay Maybruck/Sparkle City hit Ohio really hard back in the day.  My 4 years in Columbus were pretty thin when it came to collecting/stores.  The Bookery was the best place around.  Given the demographics I was surprised to see such little inventory available.  But then again, that was a different time.  

30 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

If you want to feel really out of whack, 1980s books are as old now as Golden Age books were in 1980. 2000 books are as old today as AF15 was in 1980. 

@valiantman made the point that (and I'm sure I'll screw this up), the difference in time between TMNT 1 and today is greater than the time between Action comics 1 and IH181. 

He said it much better, but that concept was mind boggling enough that it stuck with me. 

Couple of things. The GA books that are hot are the ones that still have relevance today. Torch, Sub-Mariner, Joker, Penguin, Catwoman books. DC comics with Supes, Bats, Flash WW with plain thugs, I think are very hard to move at anywhere near the prices dealers want. War covers for MLJ etc- well that is different.

A couple of days ago I had a look at all the Sensation on ebay. Now reading OPG , you can read how WW is hot. Maybe but her Sensation books are very reasonable, with very few takers. Again throw in a character that has resonance today, Cheetah or Huntress and they move and are priced very differently.

I have just been pricing out my stuff (my dear wife - always hints out wanting to know what is there - in case I should - die) and even with many Marvels in later SA, unless a key and not keys, many in late SA, price growth is moderate.

Another matter is the internet is making this available to people outside the US. Back in the 80's even though you could use catalogs, very few Australian collectors bought from O/S, and Marvels then were priced ridiculously . ASM 41 3.5 for $40. Since ebay people are now buying, and at local shows I have seen tons of books in varying grades that were never sold here locally. London has one of the biggest Cons in the world, and the Brazilian Con is even bigger.

SA may be more common the GA, but at NYCC 2019 you had to dig long and hard to find many SA books. You had better chance of AF15.

On 4/30/2021 at 6:42 AM, bc said:

Not gonna comment on the rise in SA prices. But as far as scarcity goes, you can buy any Marvel SA book any time you want. There is an "instant gratification" factor with SA as long as you have the funds.

Not so with many GA books - been looking for a few relatively early Timely books to complete a run for several months on all the major auction houses, feeBay and the like and have struck out even though I have the cash in hand.

-bc

VERY true. I recently became aware of a cool SA book I’ve never seen. I went on eBay and there were two copies for sale. I bought one of them. 

That’s how easy it was. I have done this many times with SA books. 

To me collecting is “the thrill of the hunt”. I get that with GA but not so much with SA.