• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A graded book collection...
3 3

43 posts in this topic

I always value my comics at 15% less than the "Sold" value. Assume the worst if you try to flip them and you're paying 13% in Ebay/Paypal fees. Then I always tack on 2% for packing costs, transportation, etc. It gives me a much more realistic number if it's something worth investing in. Even if you sell something for $100, you'll never actually get $100 unless it's straight cash.

Also technically you need to pay taxes on anything you sold too, so that can be another 28%(?).

3 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

I don't know how reliable gocollect is but I've had it quoted to me in the past when trying to buy a collection. their $ are usually way off so for fun i ran GPA on your books

those 3 books are currently $4500 total combined on GPA

but it's only the 3 biggest books in his collection, so the rest of the 30 books make up the rest to get to 10 000

22 minutes ago, Tnexus said:

I always value my comics at 15% less than the "Sold" value. Assume the worst if you try to flip them and you're paying 13% in Ebay/Paypal fees. Then I always tack on 2% for packing costs, transportation, etc. It gives me a much more realistic number if it's something worth investing in. Even if you sell something for $100, you'll never actually get $100 unless it's straight cash.

Also technically you need to pay taxes on anything you sold too, so that can be another 28%(?).

Hopefully I'll never have to sell them.

I'd like to pass them down to my daughter...shes 13 and is really beginning to enjoy reading my comics.

I'm not looking to cash out...im just happy to get what I did before the prices went nuts.

9 minutes ago, bc said:

Oh goody  :banana:

Yet another thread proclaiming all the unrealized gains based on some web sites list of sales.

-bc

Should I use recent sales on Ebay instead?

Because they are all higher than comicsgocollect.

Feel free to ignore me

Edited by lostboys
Misspelled word

56 minutes ago, bc said:

Oh goody  :banana:

Yet another thread proclaiming all the unrealized gains based on some web sites list of sales.

-bc

It's just someone having some fun with their collection and wanting to share. Sounds like the right forum online to do it in, since it's all comic based. We don't have to rain on this person's parade. At least they didn't

a) complain on their books not being received

b) complain on wait time increases for their cards

c) ask if their CGC case is fake

d) ask if their 9.8 was really a 9.8

e) ask why CCS didn't press their book when they selected screening instead of pressing

5 hours ago, Tnexus said:

No. Taxes are on your profit. So, yes, maybe 28% on everything net of fees if you fished your $1000 book out of the 65 cent box (like my NYX 3 and LOS 23 variant). Although Shadroch would be able to come up with $788 worth of legit other deductions, so you'd only be paying taxes on about $60.

Edited by the blob

On 4/29/2021 at 8:05 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I don't know how reliable gocollect is but I've had it quoted to me in the past when trying to buy a collection. their $ are usually way off so for fun i ran GPA on your books

those 3 books are currently $4500 total combined on GPA

Yep. As they say. "Rose colored glasses" 😍