• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First silver age Red Skull?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

So I'm interested in getting the first silver age appearance of the Red Skull. Tales of Suspense 65 has the Red Skull on the cover but I've heard that is an imposter and the original Red Skull appears in TOS 66. I looked online and found two different descriptions on CGC labels. What's the deal?

Screenshot_20210429-160123_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210429-160148_eBay.jpg

The bottom one is the newest label, so that is what the label probably currently says :foryou: 

but if you're going by the cgc label, better to look both books up in the census to read the description of the book, perhaps.

:tink: 

14 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

The bottom one is the newest label, so that is what the label probably currently says :foryou: 

but if you're going by the cgc label, better to look both books up in the census to read the description of the book, perhaps.

:tink: 

Okay, so TOS66 is the first silver age appearance of the real Red Skull Johann Schmidt. 

Screenshot_20210429-162739_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210429-162809_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210429-163009_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Cushing Fan said:

That's awesome 👌 Sounds like there might be an increased interest in the Red Skull again soon if this rumor proves true:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wegotthiscovered.com/movies/captain-america-4-reportedly-feature-2-returning-villains/amp/

That would be awesome for more Red Skull! Thanks for the link

6 hours ago, Cruzin' Thru Comics said:

Not sure how 66 is his 1st appearance when he’s on the cover of 65? I sold two cgc copies of 65 in the shop and always thought that was his 1st 

I posted the CGC registration description above.  The Red Skull on TOS65 is Maxon, a criminal masquerading as the Red Skull and  under the influence of Schmidt, a Nazi and the real Red Skull. In TOS66, Schmidt captures Captain America and explains this to him along with his origin. This is also described in the Marvel database synopsis of TOS66 listed below:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Tales_of_Suspense_Vol_1_66

Edited by Cushing Fan