• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did Peter Parker become Spider-man only because he could not afford to go to the hospital to get treated.
1 1

59 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, the blob said:

Hospital visit in 1963 would have been $2. 

A very different situation to the Ultimate Universe versions; Peter Parker in the early 2000s and Miles Morales in the 2010s.

2 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

A very different situation to the Ultimate Universe versions; Peter Parker in the early 2000s and Miles Morales in the 2010s.

Well, Parker would have most likely been on Medicaid or CHIPS in the early 2000s with Ben and May both being retirees on small pensions and an ER visit would not have been a problem. Miles Morales I am not sure about. I think his family is a bit more middle class and they may very well be in some situation with a policy with a $6000 deductable or something.

Of course, in the early 2000s the Parker residence in Forest Hills New york might be worth seven figures.

34 minutes ago, the blob said:

Well, Parker would have most likely been on Medicaid or CHIPS in the early 2000s with Ben and May both being retirees on small pensions and an ER visit would not have been a problem. Miles Morales I am not sure about. I think his family is a bit more middle class and they may very well be in some situation with a policy with a $6000 deductable or something.

Of course, in the early 2000s the Parker residence in Forest Hills New york might be worth seven figures.

Interesting.

As a Brit, I wouldn't have been aware of any of this.

On 5/1/2021 at 12:32 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Interesting point. If he’d been British or Canadian the outcome might’ve been very different.

Sure would have been if he needed the icu. Canada apparently is at 13.5 per 100,000  

DA514F09-5B51-4CD9-8CB5-83EE4BB3FE27.png

Edited by ThothAmon

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Interesting.

As a Brit, I wouldn't have been aware of any of this.

Healthcare in the USA is expensive (to the patient), for the most part, for middle income and above folks who are not retirees. Some employers subsidize insurance premiums, but that is getting less and less. If you are poor (Medicaid) or retired (Medicare), it is basically socialized medicine (although Medicare is a bit tricky in that if you are going to use a lot of care you will have a lot of deductables, so most retirees pay $200-250 a month for an insurance policy that covers the deductables, but if you are a very healthy 65 year old, you may decide not to). If you are a poor enough retiree you don't need to. And we also have a socialized medicine program for children up through middle class/lower upper middle class (2 kids the income cap would be around $100,000, for example).

Over 50% of medical care in the USA is paid via government.

I teach an intro class on Medicare and Medicaid law. I am far from an expert in the field, but I have a good grasp of the issues.

Anyway, I'm just stating the state of the law, not pressing political opinions, so I hope I don't get a warning.

16 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

i got bit by some fire ants last time i was in Florida ... i wonder if i can "flame on"

Picture from the last guy in Florida who got bit by fire ants and thought he could flame on.. 20201119_234916.jpg.879f7190df3c2595e0a1a36dfb32bf20.jpg

3 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

Sure would have been if he needed the icu. Canada apparently is at 13.5 per 100,000  

DA514F09-5B51-4CD9-8CB5-83EE4BB3FE27.png

We get into a lot of dumb accidents here in 'Murica and love to have health issues, but what's the deal with Germany? Too much beer drinking during lunch results in a lot work accidents?

2 hours ago, the blob said:

We get into a lot of dumb accidents here in 'Murica and love to have health issues, but what's the deal with Germany? Too much beer drinking during lunch results in a lot work accidents?

I have two words for you, Sauerbraten and Becks!

18 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

I have two words for you, Sauerbraten and Becks!

Good golly, there was so much darn good beer in germany so cheap vs. u.s. bar prices it never occurred to me to drink a becks while over there, but I guess it is their budweiser. i really loved the beer gardens next to the play ground. leaving a deposit for your beer mug was weird, but i get it.

i miss beer, but I need to lose about 100 pounds before i start drinking it again.

The U.K. number is terrifying because there is a lot of drinking going on there about 20 hours a day, but I guess they have less manufacturing, so fewer drunken ambutations...the countries between germany and the uk tend to get blitzed at night

2 hours ago, the blob said:

The U.K. number is terrifying because there is a lot of drinking going on there about 20 hours a day,

:roflmao:

It's not that bad.

8 hours ago, the blob said:

Healthcare in the USA is expensive (to the patient), for the most part, for middle income and above folks who are not retirees. Some employers subsidize insurance premiums, but that is getting less and less. If you are poor (Medicaid) or retired (Medicare), it is basically socialized medicine (although Medicare is a bit tricky in that if you are going to use a lot of care you will have a lot of deductables, so most retirees pay $200-250 a month for an insurance policy that covers the deductables, but if you are a very healthy 65 year old, you may decide not to). If you are a poor enough retiree you don't need to. And we also have a socialized medicine program for children up through middle class/lower upper middle class (2 kids the income cap would be around $100,000, for example).

I teach an intro class on Medicare and Medicaid law. I am far from an expert in the field, but I have a good grasp of the issues.

Anyway, I'm just stating the state of the law, not pressing political opinions, so I hope I don't get a warning.

Thanks for the info.  :smile:

Relatively complex system compared to here, but a crystal clear explanation.

9 hours ago, the blob said:

I may hit you up with questions at some point.

12 hours ago, the blob said:

I gave you about 20% of it. It is even more complex.

I think that’s the right level.  I’m most likely even less familiar with it than your intro class students.

49 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

I think that’s the right level.  I’m most likely even less familiar with it than your intro class students.

yes, as this is for a masters degree class and most of them are 30-50 somethings already working in the medical field

On 5/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, Off Panel said:

Apparently the power to really aggravate ground bees.

Or. OR! Next time you get stung by ground bees, that will be enough to trigger anaphylactic reaction and your life will turn into a 'Let's See How Long It Takes To Get To The Hospital For Real This Time."

Kyle Dine:
Epi-Man

Looking for someone to save the day
Looking for someone with super strength
And if I eat something I shouldn’t have
There’s a man in a cape who will fly in
Food Allergies do not phase him

[Chorus]
Epi-Man, Epi-Man
A dose of epinephrine carries in his hand
And Epi-Man doesn’t need gratitude
Just be careful when you eat your food
Or Epi-Man will save the day

If you have a reaction on a ferris wheel ride
Your hero will come and by his side
Is Epi-Man Jr., his trusty sidekick
Together they’ll save the day
Fighting so you’ll be okay

Epi-Man, Epi-Man

In his Epi-Jet, they fly all over the world
Just to save every allergic boy and girl

Epi-Man, Epi-Man

On 5/4/2021 at 6:13 PM, Randall Ries said:

Kyle Dine:
Epi-Man

You sent me down a Kyle Dine rabbit hole, Randall.

<Finds Epi-Man on Apple Music and gives it a listen.>

"Huh, this guy wrote a song about food allergies. Wonder what else he's got...?"

<Finds the album Epi-Man is on: You Must be Nuts!>

"Wow... this guys wrote a whole album of songs about food allergies."

<Finds his next album: Food Allergies Rock!>

"@%!!#?. This guy has written MULTIPLE ALBUMS about food allergies...!"

I once read an article that said the reason men have had such success changing the world is our tendency to be completely single-minded and obsess over a singular pursuit to the exclusion of all else. I believe it.

Of course, sometimes you cure polio and sometimes you build a staggering discography of songs about food allergies.