• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There! Pt. 2 - The Hole-Punch Pedigree
2 2

16 posts in this topic

When I was a kid, I went to the Quartzide, AZ swap meet with my dad. It is primary a rock and gem show. It goes for miles. Lots of other mostly desert and western junk as well. I walked by a guy that had a box of old comics. Late ‘40’s/early 50’s stuff. Jaw dropping condition probably because they were all 3 hole punched. I remember a few Timelys, DCs and ECs. My dad was tired of me whining or felt sorry for me so he bought the whole box. Pretty sure I still have maybe a half a dozen. Such pretty books but punched...

10 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

This must be the biggest book from the collection lol

Action 7.jpg

I looked at a large group of golden age comics that had the same two hole punched in the spine.  Negotiated a price for the early Detectives but another dealer came in and the rest was history.  Without the holes, the books were vfn/nm

11 hours ago, waaaghboss said:

Gotta think like a modern collector.  These arent just punched books, these are aerodynamic newstand variants!  

Actually finding some decent duck books in the pile.  Can never have too many lol.

20210502_141932.jpg

even before the punch, that #6 condition shows how tough that book is in grade.  Just compare to the others.

You're just not being assertive enough in your negotiations.  CGC agreed with me that this book was "manufactured with hole punch."  You just need to convince cgc these books come from a special batch manufactured for war vets who had lost their hands and been outfitted with the experimental "three prong" prosthetic (sadly, the experiment failed).  Be creative!

1550847152_IMG_0968(3).thumb.jpg.05ccbcb5f65232cd30e5a2f415239767.jpg

IMG_0971.thumb.jpg.f5176d62912ee012c31733ae3af0f318.jpg