• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What the heck? Another Ebay question!
2 2

44 posts in this topic

I have been selling parts of my collection for approximately one year. After chatting with an Ebay agent, I understand that if I sell a lot of 25 comics, it counts as 25 sales rather than just 1 sale. I also asked if there is a way so I can see my total gross sales for the year. I was told, "Yes, there is, but you will have to switch over to Seller Hub to see it."

As a 64+ year old man, I am adverse to change. I'm happy with how things work for me on Ebay right now.

Can someone explain to me how things will be different if I switch to using Seller Hub?

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

I have been selling parts of my collection for approximately one year. After chatting with an Ebay agent, I understand that if I sell a lot of 25 comics, it counts as 25 sales rather than just 1 sale. I also asked if there is a way so I can see my total gross sales for the year. I was told, "Yes, there is, but you will have to switch over to Seller Hub to see it."

As a 64+ year old man, I am adverse to change. I'm happy with how things work for me on Ebay right now.

Can someone explain to me how things will be different if I switch to using Seller Hub?

A lot of 25 comics is 1 sale, not 25 sales.....

There is something lost in translation there with their customer service sometimes.  Keep in mind that you are usually calling the Philippines if you are on with a live operator and while English is widely spoken there, there still might be something that is causing the confusion.

If you sell 25 comics in 1 listing it counts as 1 sale. 

If you sell a 50 piece lot of GI Joe figures in one listing it is 1 sale. 

eBay tracks its sales through listings. If a single listing is sold no matter what it is in that listing it counts as one sale. 

Think of it like this.  If an eBay listing contained a set of scarf, a hat, and a pair of gloves then that is one listing and one set.  It is not four individual sales. 

Also .. Seller Hub is simply information about your sales .. it does not obligate you to anything nor does it change anything about your ability to sell items 

8 hours ago, comix54 said:

Also .. Seller Hub is simply information about your sales .. it does not obligate you to anything nor does it change anything about your ability to sell items 

When use you Seller Hub, does it affect how you list comics for sale? Also, exactly what does Seller Hub actually replace? Why does Ebay think it is important that you switch to Seller Hub? Is Seller Hub more beneficial to me as a seller or is it more beneficial to Ebay?

43 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

When use you Seller Hub, does it affect how you list comics for sale? Also, exactly what does Seller Hub actually replace? Why does Ebay think it is important that you switch to Seller Hub? Is Seller Hub more beneficial to me as a seller or is it more beneficial to Ebay?

It doesn't affect how you list items for sale. It organizes your listings, sales, pending tasks, feedback and other eBay stuff into categories.
It also gives you the ability to opt out if you don't like it.

Give it a try.

Everyone, thank you for clarifying my question. But, in my defense, I was told by an Ebay employee that selling a lot of 25 comics counted as 25 sales. If an Ebay representative gives you information, I felt that is was true. But now I know better. :foryou:

They also claim that they offer seller protection.  That's doesn't seem to stand up in court much either.

That's a joke on them... not you. 

eBay rules are rules in name only. I won an auction last spring for an Amazing Spiderman 300 9.8 for $1700. That book is now worth over 6 grand. I attempted to PayPal the money IMMEDIATELY after the auction closed and it was rejected because the seller cancelled the purchase. No explanation given. This despite the "All sales are final...bids cannot be retracted" nonsense. That does not stop a seller from canceling a sale because someone contacts them and offers them money over the "final" winning bid, which is what I suspect happened to me.

Edited by Greatwhite

On 5/3/2021 at 8:06 AM, Math Teacher said:

Everyone, thank you for clarifying my question. But, in my defense, I was told by an Ebay employee that selling a lot of 25 comics counted as 25 sales. If an Ebay representative gives you information, I felt that is was true. But now I know better. :foryou:

Just saw this thread. I've been using ebay since 2013 and unless something changed overnight, a lot is a lot - one sale. Now, if you list that you have a quantity of so many comics of one title available (such as I had several SWHR 1's), they are priced and sold as individual items.

The whole change recently does not benefit the seller at all and it takes several days to get your money. Before it was perfect because the money from a comic book sale would immediately be available in my PP account. Hence, I began trying to sell here first in the marketplace before going to feebay.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

1 minute ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

The whole change recently does not benefit the seller at all and it takes several days to get your money. Before it was perfect because the money from a comic book sale would immediately be available in my PP account. Hence, I began trying to sell here first in the marketplace before going to feebay.

The whole waiting for your money is not a deal-breaker for me. I'm just concerned about how many of my lots of 15 - 16 comics sold for $0.99. Yes, I'm not listing ASM #1 - #15, but I would think someone would be interested in an entire run of the MacFarlane Spider-Man title from 1990, especially one that has three #1 issues.

@Inhuman Fiend made a suggestion that it might be better to break these runs into groups of 15 - 20 comics, as there are few people interested in buying 100+ comics at a time. His suggestion certainly made sense, and I tried that last week. Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of success.

Peter Parker Spider-Man Annuals 1997, 1998, 1999 - sold for $0.99 - I lost money on this transaction.
Peter Parker Spider-Man (1999) Issues #31 - #45 - sold for $0.99 - see above.
Peter Parker Spider-Man (1999) Issues #46 - #57 - sold for $0.99 - see above.
Flash (1987) Issues #29 - #45 plus Special #1 - sold for $0.99 - see above.
Flash (1987) Issues #15 - #28 plus Annual #1 - sold for $0.99 - see above.
Peter Parker Spider-Man (1999) #1 - #15 - sold for $0.99 - see above.
Peter Parker Spider-Man (1999) #16 - #30 - sold for $0.99 - see above.

Now, part of this is due to the fact that Ebay charges its fees based on the selling price plus the shipping charge. If you sell 15 books for $0.99 and the shipping is $10+ (because I am unwilling to ship comics using Media Mail), it's impossible to make any money. In retrospect, I wish I had taken some of these books to one of the LCSs around here. Even if I only got $0.05 per issue, I would not have lost money.

I apologize if I come off as a whiner. And I do not blame @Inhuman Fiend in any way, shape, or form.

It's just hard to understand how a lot of 19 Sensational Spider-Man comics can sell for $18.99 on May 3, while my complete run of this title (36 comics) barely gets any views.

I have also attempted to sell some issues on Instagram, but most of my posts end up as complete silence, followed by a tumbleweed blowing through. I actually joined Facebook yesterday to see if I might have some luck selling there, but I have been too busy to follow through with it yet. Another suggestion was to sell on Craig's List, which I have yet to pursue.

So, I will wait until Sunday night to see how my current auctions end up, and then I will make a decision about how I will proceed from there.

It's just hard to understand how a lot of 19 Sensational Spider-Man comics can sell for $18.99 on May 3, while my complete run of this title (36 comics) barely gets any views.

I have also attempted to sell some issues on Instagram, but most of my posts end up as complete silence, followed by a tumbleweed blowing through. I actually joined Facebook yesterday to see if I might have some luck selling there, but I have been too busy to follow through with it yet. Another suggestion was to sell on Craig's List, which I have yet to pursue.

So, I will wait until Sunday night to see how my current auctions end up, and then I will make a decision about how I will proceed from there.

Why did you go for auction style on e-bay instead of buy it now? Auctions are always a risk on lower demand items.

30 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Why did you go for auction style on e-bay instead of buy it now? Auctions are always a risk on lower demand items.

Basically, I did so because I was tired of waiting 3 - 6 months for something to sell. I always based my "for sale" prices by looking at other recent sales on Ebay. And each 30 days, I lowered my BIN asking price. Still no sales.

The whole point of my selling is to get my collection down to a manageable size. Yes, I would like to get a "reasonable" amount of money for the books that I am selling. However, if I have to leave stacks of books sitting around on my desk/the floor/on top of bookshelves, it's really defeating my ultimate goal. I honestly don't think that asking someone to pay $0.50 per comic is an unreasonable goal.

Here's an example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124418533316

I originally listed this item on November 2, 2020. It has been approximately 6.5 months since my initial listing. During those 6.5 months, I have lowered my BIN price seven times. And you can't tell me that there's no interest, because this listing has been viewed 102 times.

Here's another example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/124505852605

I originally listed this item on January 29. So we're coming up to 3.5 months since my initial listing. I have lowered my BIN price three times during this period, and, despite 100 page views, I can't even get a single watcher. Listed below is what REALLY frustrates me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294128407895?hash=item447b6b5557%3Ag%3A2~gAAOSwQbxge3yd&nma=true&si=CE6blMMEgYjw9HKzm26i0%2Fl1F4Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Sold for $27 on April 24

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303951997423?hash=item46c4f369ef%3Ag%3AQdoAAOSwvrVgb5b~&nma=true&si=CE6blMMEgYjw9HKzm26i0%2Fl1F4Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Sold for $16 on April 15

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303951997423?hash=item46c4f369ef%3Ag%3AQdoAAOSwvrVgb5b~&nma=true&si=CE6blMMEgYjw9HKzm26i0%2Fl1F4Y%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Sold for $35 on April 5

I'm sorry for coming here and voicing my complaints. During most of 2020, selling my items was easy. Since the beginning of 2021, selling has become much more difficult.

Edited by Math Teacher