• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isn’t this just half a comic? Shouldn’t it be a NG?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

This may be old-news so kind of a newbie question, but this seems like more of a grading question to me so I’ll ask it here. 

I’ve spotted a couple of these on eBay:

A5D3B5B6-9F4F-4F4F-8F4B-D9DDFEC4D7DC.jpeg.76990e084aa25533664a16df403bb885.jpeg

To my knowledge this preview was never offered separate from the 1982 titles this was included with.  Am I wrong about that?

If I’m not, then doesn’t that mean whoever got this graded cut away the regular comic that this was in the middle of?  It looks there is a gap in the staples. 

If so, why would CGC give this a grade?  Shouldn’t it be a NG since (I’m assuming) it’s known that this was only part of regular titles (the notation on the label seems to acknowledge that fact) and therefore this an incomplete comic - whichever title it was. 

I haven’t pulled out my copies with this preview to double-check, but I’m pretty sure this preview doesn’t have it’s own indicia. 

It was only ever an insert, and yeah like you say, they aknowledge that. So basically, they created their own entry for this part of a comic that they consider to be its own entity. And that entity can be graded independently of the comic it came with, and thus given it's own independent grade. 

Does that make much sense? no

But it's what they chose to do. I wouldn't consider it a mistake either, just a choice they made.

To me, calling it an “insert” really isn’t accurate either. An insert implies something that could be slipped out/removed without damaging the main comic. 

This preview (and other previews like it) aren’t inserts, they’re actually part of the main comic. The only way to “remove” it is to complete destroy the other half of the comic.  It’s not there’s going to be CGC graded copies of these ‘82 issues with the notation “missing the MotU insert”

It’s CGC’s sandbox, they can do whatever they want, but this makes absolutely no sense to me.

Edited by Number 6

It should be NG.  It was part of a comic that had a story, and a cover.  It is missing the comic story pages, and missing the cover.  We can't even tell which comic. 

Anything with the cover completely missing is NG.  It's at best similar to encapsulating a single page.  Do those even get a grade???

Maybe I should get my loose Tatooz graded.  We'll say it's from an ASM 238 on the title.  If it's high grade, it's worth a fortune!  Almost as good as having the whole comic - just the cover and pages missing.  I wonder how long the TAT is on that Tat.

I think I also have a grungy gum wrapper I found on the ground.  They'll probably grade it for me.  Anything for a buck.

There's some weirdness with these sorts of supplements (I'm with Number 6 that these aren't "inserts" in the normal sense). Some of them are pretty defensible to have graded separately, like the handful that were shipped in various issues of Previews, and the like. This? Ehhh, not so much.

I certainly wouldn't want this, and wouldn't pay for it, but it's tough to draw the line for when supplements are, erm, supplemental enough to stand on their own. Plus, occasionally, it turns out that one of these things was distributed separately as a promo (not this one, to my knowledge, but others sometimes were). I don't fault CGC for taking the approach that if you really want them to, they'll grade them.