• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GPA and GoCollect Functionality Questions
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I have been a paying GPA member for a while and just became a paying GoCollect member. I am not very tech savvy. So, take these questions in the vein.

I like GoCollect's "lists" in which I can upload CGC certificate numbers and they will track the collection. I can get an updated value for the entire collection as well. I was able to export my list of CGC books, but I cannot find a way to export the values. The export has the ability to include a large numbers of variables, but not their estimate of value. Is there a way to export the FMV assigned to each book by GoCollect?

I would also like to export my GoCollect list, make changes in Excel and import my changes in bulk. Can I do that with GoCollect? I do not see a way to re-import my data.

For GPA, I find their ability to track my collection to be very clunky and poor. Is there a way to create a list by entering the CGC certificate number as you can on GoCollect? Can I export/import a list in GPA?  

I was hoping to have the ability to get a live (or relatively live) "quote" for my collection through both GoCollect and GPA. I would also like to compare the values between the two services for the collection as a whole and on individual books.

I can give a partial answer:  GPA doesn't care about a particular copy with a unique serial number. So no search possible by serial numbers...  You look up their sales data by title and issue, and every copy in same grade (yours and everyone else's) has the same sales data.  I tried out the "Comics I Own" function.   I dont see a bulk upload feature, but you could reach out to them and see if its in the works.  Overall, the Comics I Own doesn't generate values for non slabbed comics... and more of an issue, if you've got books that rarely sell, that theres no sales data, or a few sales that are many years ago, they calculate crazy prices for HG copies. more like Overstreet has to guess when there not enough real data, only here, they err by giving to high a price!  X-Men 4 in 9.4 says $50,000.  Has there ever been a sale at half that much?

and for 9.6, their value is $78000.  They list 3 sales  14L, 13K, and 22K from 2014, 2013 and 2011.   There was a recent sale for $59K that IS NOT listed, so how did they come up with 78K?  Id take their total value for your collection with a dollop of salt.

Edited by Aman619

@Shrevvy I subscribe to both and found both too clunky to track value. I use the CLZ app on my phone, which is fed by GoCollect values, which the app updates once a day. It's not perfect but it lets you input books as raw, slabbed, CGC, the other grading companies, etc. 

@Shrevvy I'm late to the party here. 

I actually quite like the aggregated view of "my portfolio" that GPA provides (My Dashboard > My Comics). If you input your books (CGC serial + what you paid), then it displays your overall growth and position by title. It works for me perfectly. 

To do this, search for the books you own (Analyze Prices) and star the Book/Issue/Grade in the results (Save this title). Then go to My Dashboard > My Comics > select the comic you just starred/saved and then click "Add my purchase" - where you can input your CGC serial and the amount you paid. 

I also use CLZ Comics to catalogue my collection. I had a legacy account, but I paid the subscription because I wanted to support the devs... I would like to turn off the GoCollect price data, but haven't looked into how to do this. Simply because it seems so far off compared to GPA and what appears to be happening online. 

That said, I have been waiting with excitement for the new GoCollect site to launch. There is a lot I like about their site's functionality... but I never liked the layout. I can see myself maintaining both GoCollect and GPA memberships if GoCollect's new site is what I hope it will be. 

On 8/31/2021 at 3:33 PM, Poekaymon said:

I mostly switched to raws and therefore let my gocollect lapse.  Was very happy with the service for graded books.  

People above said you can input CLZ as raws.  Do you get pricing data?  (Is pricing data even possible for raws?)

No, the GoCollect integration and value data is just for graded books. 

You could manage this manually yourself for raws, as CLZ does have a value field (screenshot attached)… I’m sure people probably do this based on eBay sold or ComicsPriceGuide info or similar. 

9F85ED5D-EB83-4D04-A8F1-472B0D827B2E.png

On 8/31/2021 at 9:51 AM, Stronguy said:

My biggest problem with GPA's "My Comics" feature is it's impossible to add books that have never had a public sale.  I have several like this and you're just SOL for tracking them.

Yeah, I am running into that issue also.  I appears as if GPA is only looking at the 90 average.   If there is no 90 average, the "Purchase Price" is used instead of last sale.

2.thumb.jpg.4741ceda84bba8903adbac96ae678fad.jpg

@gpanalysis

On 3/26/2022 at 7:33 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Yeah, I am running into that issue also.  I appears as if GPA is only looking at the 90 average.   If there is no 90 average, the "Purchase Price" is used instead of last sale.

2.thumb.jpg.4741ceda84bba8903adbac96ae678fad.jpg

@gpanalysis

Yup.  What I do is force the price (the reload symbol) and put in last price or the most reasonable current price I know of.  Unfortunately that price is stuck there and you have to update the book manually for then on out.  However, if traffic on the book does pick up you can always delete the book and re-add it.  That will kick in tracking the 90 day average again.