• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is most expensive non superhero comics? ...most expensive non Marvel/DC comic?
1 1

71 posts in this topic

I think that a HG copy of Detective #1 would easily top the price of Archie #1. 

In August 2019 a 4.5 copy sold for $50,000, while last year a 4.0 copy of Archie #1 brought $30,000 in comparison (both blue labels of course).

Suspense #3 also beats same grade Archie #1s all the time

I will pose this question again. Does anyone think any of the upcoming Promise Pedigree Collection has a chance at beating out any of the books currently holding this list? 

I know they still haven't listed all ( think they are about 300+ out of the 5,000) but do you think any of these so far have a shot? 

I can only imagine what some of the rest of the books are. 

Image a Punch #12 in 9.8... :whatthe:

On 5/9/2021 at 10:55 PM, catman76 said:

Highest prices paid for Platinum age comic books...

$9.560 - The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (Brother Jonathan Extra IX Bookstand Edition) 1842

$7,170 - Mickey Mouse the Mail Pilot Big Little Book 1933

$6,572 - The Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats 1897

$5,377 - The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (Brother Jonathan Extra IX Bookstand Edition) 1842

$4,780 - The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (Brother Jonathan Extra IX Bookstand Edition) 1842

$4,481 - Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend 1905

$4,182 - The Yellow Kid in McFadden's Flats 1897

$3,883 - Detective Dan, Secret Op. 48 (1933)

$3,585 - The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (Brother Jonathan Extra IX Bookstand Edition) 1842

$3,107 - The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (Brother Jonathan Extra IX Bookstand Edition) 1842

I somehow missed this cool thread.  Better late than never.  So much cool plat.  Anway, just FYI that the Obadiah Olbook is technically a Victorian Age book, which is generally held to have started with the original French-language version of that book in 1837 in Switzerland? by Rudolphe Töpffer.  As I recall, that was legally pirated (no protection back then) by Tilt & Bogue in the first English-language version of that book printed in London in 1841.  Then those same plates were used (i.e., legally pirated again!)  by Brother Jonathan in NYC in 1842 in its own English version (which, with slight variation to the art, rearranged the Tilt & Bogue pages vertically to 3 a page).  There are few opportunities to clarify such things, so I must take advantage, even late.    

Edited by Pantodude

On 1/28/2022 at 6:53 PM, The Tavern Inn said:

Oh. I just assumed Pep #22 would be more expensive. Sorry, my bad.

Edit: did some quick research, I mightve been right. I dunno, big whoop.

https://www.qualitycomix.com/comic-price-guide/pep-comics/issue-22

https://www.qualitycomix.com/comic-price-guide/archie-comics/issue-1#:~:text=The highest graded copy known,sold for %249%2C000 in 2008.

Yeah I dunno either. They are both up there for sure

On 1/29/2022 at 8:44 AM, Pantodude said:

I somehow missed this cool thread.  Better late than never.  So much cool plat.  Anway, just FYI that the Obadiah Olbook is technically a Victorian Age book, which is generally held to have started with the original French-language version of that book in 1837 in Switzerland? by Rudolphe Töpffer.  As I recall, that was legally pirated (no protection back then) by Tilt & Bogue in the first English-language version of that book printed in London in 1841.  Then those same plates were used (i.e., legally pirated again!)  by Brother Jonathan in NYC in 1842 in its own English version (which, with slight variation to the art, rearranged the Tilt & Bogue pages vertically to 3 a page).  There are few opportunities to clarify such things, so I must take advantage, even late.    

Bob?