• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the actual grade of this NM- advertised comic?
2 2

25 posts in this topic

I've actually dealt with this seller before. He usually has nice stuff, but unfortunately he's way off the mark on this one. He does mention the large corner crease in his description, but he still assigns the book a grade of 9.2. That's the very reason we have the 10 point grading system---so we can assign a reasonable grade based on the flaws. Apparently we've reached the point where anyone can just throw a grade out there and hope someone will fall for it. Pretty ridiculous...

Edited by The Lions Den

1 hour ago, The Lions Den said:

I've actually dealt with this seller before. He usually has nice stuff, but unfortunately he's way off the mark on this one. He does mention the large corner crease in his description, but he still assigns the book a grade of 9.2. That's the very reason we have the 10 point grading system---so we can assign a reasonable grade based on the flaws. Apparently we've reached the point where anyone can just throw a grade out there and hope someone will fall for it. Pretty ridiculous...

People seem to be falling for it in high, satisfied numbers though:

Capture.thumb.PNG.ba0fdd6a8bb46a6449687db495d54d81.PNG

People are funny, aren't they. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

People seem to be falling for it in high, satisfied numbers though:

Capture.thumb.PNG.ba0fdd6a8bb46a6449687db495d54d81.PNG

People are funny, aren't they. 

I'm thinking the saying "Buy the book, not the grade" is becoming more relevant than ever...

1 minute ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm thinking the saying "Buy the book, not the grade" is becoming more relevant than ever...

I haven't checked their other listings to any degree, but maybe they brought the 9.2 over from a previous template and neglected to amend it in error?

That possibility aside, I'm always surprised, generally, at how sellers who can't grade, and can't pack, maintain faultless feedback. One of life's mysteries. 

You can kind of see how he thinks he can get away with it.  It has colour bleed from the front, but bindery defects are allowed. It has a big bend right through but colour isn't broken, so it's not a crease. There's a slight discolouration to the interior pages (esp. first page top right) but I still wouldn't be surprised to see this described as off white.  It doesn't sit perfectly flat, not just because of the bend, it looks raised on the spine side too.  It's lost some gloss, but not much. Any of those defects, I think you could get away with, but all together, it's too much, especially the bend.   I would think you could buy a better NM- for not much more. 

10 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I haven't checked their other listings to any degree, but maybe they brought the 9.2 over from a previous template and neglected to amend it in error?

This is what I thought too until I read his description.  No.... he's calling it a 9.2 even with the "bend" throughout the comic.

Edited by gadzukes

21 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

This is what I thought too until I read his description.  No.... he's calling it a 9.2 even with the crease throughout the comic.

Yes, I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt I suppose. The finger bends at the top seem to have gotten a pass too, don't they. 

We don't have to buy it though, do we. 

1 hour ago, Malacoda said:

You can kind of see how he thinks he can get away with it.  It has colour bleed from the front, but bindery defects are allowed. It has a big bend right through but colour isn't broken, so it's not a crease. There's a slight discolouration to the interior pages (esp. first page top right) but I still wouldn't be surprised to see this described as off white.  It doesn't sit perfectly flat, not just because of the bend, it looks raised on the spine side too.  It's lost some gloss, but not much. Any of those defects, I think you could get away with, but all together, it's too much, especially the bend.   I would think you could buy a better NM- for not much more. 

What about that big colour breaking band on the top edge?

4 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I’m not a fan of “NM condition if not for X defect/flaw”... “could benefit from a press” ... I’ve seen that many times over the years.. it’s better to just assign the grade of the current condition

3 hours ago, Malacoda said:

It IS broken on the front cover, so it's a crease.  Besides being about as big a bend as you can get.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

What about that big colour breaking band on the top edge?

That would be the finger bend that @Get Marwood & Imentions, just skipped over.  As I suggested earlier, even with some work, the best that this comic gets is a 7.0

And this is why this seller is on eBay, no customer service abilities in real life:

I'm not interested in throwing in any other comic/comics or combine other item/items that I'm selling for a much lower offer or worry about what other re-seller's prices are in order to complete a deal. So if you still wishes to email me with these offers, I will not respond.

When submitting questions, have intentions of purchasing my item/items & inquire pertaining only to item/items that I have for sale.

Oh, fussy/hard to please/picky buyers, if you expect more than and/or like to take advantage of the loopholes of the Ebay Protection plan or love to give negative feedback, please skip my ad. 

AND.....except for this listing....

I'm very conservative with my grading and know your grading before you make a purchase.

1 hour ago, littledoom said:

I’m not a fan of “NM condition if not for X defect/flaw”... “could benefit from a press” ... I’ve seen that many times over the years.. it’s better to just assign the grade of the current condition

Yes. 

You wouldn't do that with anything else would you. "Hamster for sale. Alive if not for being dead"

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Yes. 

You wouldn't do that with anything else would you. "Hamster for sale. Alive if not for being dead"

There’s a version of that that get’s used in first edition book descriptions quit a bit. “Has defect x, y, and z otherwise Fine”.  In other words it’s not Fine, it’s Very Good. 

Even reputable ABAA sellers use it, which is disappointing as it’s the gimmick of telling the buyer the grade he wants to hear while simultaneously having the “virtue” of declaring all the defects that disqualify the book from that exact grade. 

6 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

There’s a version of that that get’s used in first edition book descriptions quit a bit. “Has defect x, y, and z otherwise Fine”.  In other words it’s not Fine, it’s Very Good. 

Even reputable ABAA sellers use it, which is disappointing as it’s the gimmick of telling the buyer the grade he wants to hear while simultaneously having the “virtue” of declaring all the defects that disqualify the book from that exact grade. 

Indeed. Let's face it, if we took every listing down from eBay that had something silly or questionable in it there wouldn't be much left would there.

I would never say something is "NM except for..." in any ebay listing I created but I might say a book has "excellent eye appeal but is let down structurally by....". I think it's reasonable to point out how nice a book with a particular flaw looks in hand, but I would never try to justify using high grade terminology for a lovely looking book that grades out a 4.0 due to a punishing structural issue.

In the case that started this thread off, I just see a guy who can't grade so I move on. I move on a lot, on eBay.