• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever notice how many Marvel Spotlight #5 copies that receive a high grade are often off-centered?

11 posts in this topic

It is widely agreed that high grade CGC copies for Marvel Spotlight #5 are hard to achieve, particularly because the book has a black cover and spine breaks are much more visible.

However, I've noticed recently that the copies that do receive a grade higher than a 9.0 are almost always off-centered.  Could this partly be attributable to the extra white border prevalent on the cover, which is better at concealing spine stresses  -- or that those stresses are more easily pressed out than if it was a true centered black cover?

Included are two examples.  One is dead-center with a 9.0 grade; the other is off-centered, with a white border on the folded side.  Which book do you think collectors would prefer for themselves (other than the fact that 9.2's are worth $ more than 9.0's).

In my opinion, any MS #5 that grades high and isn't off-center should command an even bigger premium.  Logically, how difficult would a book from 1972 with a pure black cover be able to obtain a CGC 9.4 grade or higher?

Just a thought to consider.  Would welcome any images of high grade examples of this book that aren't off-centered.

MarvelSpotlight5.jpg

MarvelSpotlight5b.jpg

23 hours ago, Kevin6 said:

It is widely agreed that high grade CGC copies for Marvel Spotlight #5 are hard to achieve, particularly because the book has a black cover and spine breaks are much more visible.

However, I've noticed recently that the copies that do receive a grade higher than a 9.0 are almost always off-centered.  Could this partly be attributable to the extra white border prevalent on the cover, which is better at concealing spine stresses  -- or that those stresses are more easily pressed out than if it was a true centered black cover?

Included are two examples.  One is dead-center with a 9.0 grade; the other is off-centered, with a white border on the folded side.  Which book do you think collectors would prefer for themselves (other than the fact that 9.2's are worth $ more than 9.0's).

In my opinion, any MS #5 that grades high and isn't off-center should command an even bigger premium.  Logically, how difficult would a book from 1972 with a pure black cover be able to obtain a CGC 9.4 grade or higher?

Just a thought to consider.  Would welcome any images of high grade examples of this book that aren't off-centered.

1. I can't speak for collectors in general, but I prefer a proper wrap.
  2. Then you can pay more for them. Don't expect others to do the same, though.

1 hour ago, !???! said:

The word you're looking for is "miswrap".

So anytime a book isn't perfectly centered it's considered a miswrap?  Wouldn't that cover most books since very few are perfectly centered.

Collectors tend to value certain traits over others.  Goes back to "buy the book, not the grade".  For my PC and value withstanding, I'd rather have a centered wrap on a mid grade book with some spine ticks over a 9.0 with a miswrap. I know others who value spine ticks over the wrap.  I'm happy having nicely presenting mid grade books.  I'll take a stained book in low to mid grade if it presents well otherwise over paying much more for a higher grade copy with a wrap like the 9.2 shown in the first post.

I'll take the best grade of any book for the best possible price. Miswraps are no bother to me at all. If someone wants to get paid more (or pay more) for one that is not, hey that is up to them. But if those books were presented to me and the properly wrapped one was priced higher, personally I would pass. Because I want the book and to me, the wrap is trivial. 

Prefer a copy without a miswrap and have passed on higher graded books with one (although I think I'm getting more picky as I get older and prices rise, same with page quality).

Collecting comics from the late '50's & early '60's, I see as much front cover miswrap as back cover miswrap often cutting off part of the price or publishers info.

(not my comic, found it on the web as an example)

TTA 97.jpg

The ole 2 cent ARVEL OMICS ROUP variant :)

-bc

I guess it comes down to personal preference vs actual grade.  I seem to have poorly worded by initial post, so to reiterate, does anyone have a picture of a Marvel Spotlight #5 that grades higher than 9.0 that doesn't contain a miswrap (i.e., off--centered).  Was just curious as I have yet to see one.  Here's a 9.8 MS #5 and yes, it is a miswrap.

MS5.jpg

18 hours ago, Kevin6 said:

I guess it comes down to personal preference vs actual grade.  I seem to have poorly worded by initial post, so to reiterate, does anyone have a picture of a Marvel Spotlight #5 that grades higher than 9.0 that doesn't contain a miswrap (i.e., off--centered).  Was just curious as I have yet to see one.  Here's a 9.8 MS #5 and yes, it is a miswrap.

This is near perfect:

Image 01 - MARVEL SPOTLIGHT #5 1ST APPEARANCE GHOST RIDER MARVEL AUG 1972 CGC 9.2 OW/WHITE!