• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did we get in trouble?
3 3

63 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, tth2 said:

Then start a thread about CGC grading and feel free to post books from the Promise collection in there as examples of what you consider to be egregious over-grading rather than k-rapping all over the thread started by Gary to discuss the first major new discovery in ages. 

Ummm..................there was absolutely zero problems in terms of the thread starting out the way it did with the with the scans of the gorgeous raw Promise books in all it's bright and beautiful glory that Lon had posted for all of us to salivate over.  :cloud9:

It was only when scans of the graded and slabbed copies started appearing on this thread here and and there seem to be a disconnect between the CGC grades on the holder from the actual book within the holder for several of the books that discussion then started up about the grading of the books.  Believe it or not, the books from the Promise Collection are being sold as slabbed and graded books (i.e. not as raw books) and as such, it's fair game to talk about the grades which CGC has attached to them.  (thumbsu

At least I am an equal opportunity boardie since I at least posted in Moondog's thread what I believe was an undergraded book from the Promise Collection, whereas no other boardie has either not found one yet or not bother to post an example because they are too busy drinking their juice. :devil:

12 hours ago, szav said:

I don't disagree with any of this, was just trying to do my diplomatic best to sum it all up.  There's clearly a range of differing opinions here. 

To your point, who knows, maybe if I win a book or two I'll start yapping about how how harsh the grading on the entire ped was.

Sorry, but after doing the dealer bit even part time after more than a dozen years and seeing thousands of collectors you get a bit cynical. I was super energetic in the late 80’s but by the early 2000’s I had made enough bones to get out from that end. I have numerous friends/family I give it to over their double standards. Human nature I suppose. In the end no one is holding a gun to our heads with buying or selling. I’ve spoken with you enough that you have a good pulse on your collecting. 

Boy though, working the trade shows all through the 90’s with people in your face all day was something good, bad and otherwise…lol

727FE709-A0E8-42F6-8C3E-11C0EDF53162.gif.f9272075fda09999ce4a41258af05449.gif