• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Protecting Slabs from Sprinkler systems
2 2

51 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, kav said:
24 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Maybe just place a blue line on them.

place tarp over all staples

I was more making a joke at the Eerie #1 counterfeits.  :gossip:

You can see what I am referring to here . 

Believe the discussion about the Blue line staples starts about page 5.. 

I currently have about 50 short boxes in an Arizona room with a tin roof that hasn't been waterproof in the past. It supposedly is now but I don't expect the coming monsoon season to be problem free.

To that end, each box is inside its own plastic garbage bag and the two stacks have a 10X14 tarp over them.  I may end up shrink wrapping some of the boxes, as I have several rolls of movers wrap left from my moves.

Add a second plastic bag, upside down over the first one. Moisture may still be a problem, but if there are no holes in the bags, should prevent water getting to the slab. Now, if you're storing them in a basement and it fills with several feet of water, that's a different story, but I'm assuming the question was about water spraying down only.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I currently have about 50 short boxes in an Arizona room with a tin roof that hasn't been waterproof in the past. It supposedly is now but I don't expect the coming monsoon season to be problem free.

To that end, each box is inside its own plastic garbage bag and the two stacks have a 10X14 tarp over them.  I may end up shrink wrapping some of the boxes, as I have several rolls of movers wrap left from my moves.

I remember monsoon season in AZ.  Sheesh!!!  Even the pool would overflow and water would get into the house.

31 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

I remember monsoon season in AZ.  Sheesh!!!  Even the pool would overflow and water would get into the house.

Living in Florida where we have a high water table, monsoon seasons, and hurricanes, there is just as much of a problem from swimming pools floating up out of the ground and crashing into your house or the neighbors..hurricane-katrina-popped-pool.jpg.fa96de185908b0f1f0ab6f6a48be06bc.jpg

In 2009 I left much of my collection in a brand new storage unit in downtown San Diego (Little Italy), which had a sprinkler system, while I moved overseas.  I ended up not seeing my stuff for 4 years and wasn't able to get everything out of there for almost 10 years.  The last six years I lived 2000 miles away in another State so couldn't check on my stuff at all.  The only bright side was that it was an internal storage unit of a huge facility so the temp/humidity was perfect.

The downside (other than the sprinklers)... they began renting units to people to live in.  Not 'officially', but they looked the other way.  I had so many sleepless nights worried about those sprinklers going off!  Especially when people were literally living in some of the units, smoking, cooking, etc.

When I did get my stuff out I drove 37 hrs with only three hours of sleep because I didn't want to leave the truck unattended while I got a hotel.  About the last hour of the trip I was seeing giant scorpions on top of highway signs, it was super late and I kept it in the lane but I was definitely trippin' out!!  I slept good when I got home though and unloaded the truck the next day.  Couldn't even remember half the stuff I had in there!

I have no recommendation on how to waterproof your slabs, just hope you get lucky and they don't go off.  Sorry!  

7 minutes ago, Iconic1s said:

In 2009 I left much of my collection in a brand new storage unit in downtown San Diego (Little Italy), which had a sprinkler system, while I moved overseas.  I ended up not seeing my stuff for 4 years and wasn't able to get everything out of there for almost 10 years.  The last six years I lived 2000 miles away in another State so couldn't check on my stuff at all.  The only bright side was that it was an internal storage unit of a huge facility so the temp/humidity was perfect.

The downside (other than the sprinklers)... they began renting units to people to live in.  Not 'officially', but they looked the other way.  I had so many sleepless nights worried about those sprinklers going off!  Especially when people were literally living in some of the units, smoking, cooking, etc.

When I did get my stuff out I drove 37 hrs with only three hours of sleep because I didn't want to leave the truck unattended while I got a hotel.  About the last hour of the trip I was seeing giant scorpions on top of highway signs, it was super late and I kept it in the lane but I was definitely trippin' out!!  I slept good when I got home though and unloaded the truck the next day.  Couldn't even remember half the stuff I had in there!

I have no recommendation on how to waterproof your slabs, just hope you get lucky and they don't go off.  Sorry!  

When i first moved into my apartment in NYC, I stored my comics at a storage locker on Long Island while I figured out where I was going to put them. Sometime after I moved my stuff in, a pipe burst and there was some minor flooding. You could see based on the paint affected that the flooding spread to just a unit or so away from mine. Probably would have ruined a good number of boxes if it had reached mine. And since some were stacked, if the structural integrity of the bottom ones were compromised by water, the whole thing could have come down.

6 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

When i first moved into my apartment in NYC, I stored my comics at a storage locker on Long Island while I figured out where I was going to put them. Sometime after I moved my stuff in, a pipe burst and there was some minor flooding. You could see based on the paint affected that the flooding spread to just a unit or so away from mine. Probably would have ruined a good number of boxes if it had reached mine. And since some were stacked, if the structural integrity of the bottom ones were compromised by water, the whole thing could have come down.

That's scary!  Glad it didn't reach your unit!  Hopefully no one else lost anything too important!

I have to be honest.  The very first time I opened this thread was to see why he was keeping his books on his front lawn.  Does anyone here actually HAVE a sprinkler system in their home.

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I have to be honest.  The very first time I opened this thread was to see why he was keeping his books on his front lawn.  Does anyone here actually HAVE a sprinkler system in their home.

my carpet needs frequent watering its environmentally friendly.

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

If you live in a condo you do.