• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

House of Mystery #179 CGC 9.4

92 posts in this topic

I knew that this copy would go for the price it did.. I mean, its Wrightson first pro work and an incredible cover. Other then HOS #92, I think its one of the biggest key issues in the horror themes. Plus the fact that its extremely hard to find in NM- or higher.. I think you made a great purchase..893applaud-thumb.gif

Joe,

Don't know you in person, but I do admire your tastes - congrats on a sweet get.

People will shake their heads and moan, but when you find a grail book that otherwise NEVER comes up in the grade you want it to, you have to blow the bridges. Everyone has their ceiling, and this book was within yours.

Nice one!

Shep

Joe,

Don't know you in person, but I do admire your tastes - congrats on a sweet get.

People will shake their heads and moan, but when you find a grail book that otherwise NEVER comes up in the grade you want it to, you have to blow the bridges. Everyone has their ceiling, and this book was within yours.

Nice one!

Shep

Thanks thumbsup2.gif

I'm glad only a few people think I'm crazy. It's clear many of us see this book as a virtually-impossible-to-find-in-high-grade key. Now that's it's "the day after" I feel just as happy if not more so about this purchase. I also feel there's some good news for the hobby in all this: people with high grade copies will have the incentive to get theirs slabbed and make more of them available, and a record price was just set amid all the talk of a downturn in prices.

Joe

All due respect - fantastic book, yada yada, but I think 1650 is way, way too much... comparing it to other foolishness like an asm 300 or DD 168 in 9.8 isn't really relevant tongue.gif but I'm glad you got the book you wanted. If you're happy with it then I'm happy for you, but in my opinion that's overpaying.

All due respect - fantastic book, yada yada, but I think 1650 is way, way too much... comparing it to other foolishness like an asm 300 or DD 168 in 9.8 isn't really relevant tongue.gif but I'm glad you got the book you wanted. If you're happy with it then I'm happy for you, but in my opinion that's overpaying.

On a personal level, I'd agree. But...two other people broke the $1500 barrier and these kind of markets don't follow normal rules. I'm not sure the book will keep pace with inflation, but I don't think the buyer could care less. Assuming he's someone for whom $1650 isn't a great deal of money, then well done to him.

On a personal level, I'd agree. But...two other people broke the $1500 barrier and these kind of markets don't follow normal rules. I'm not sure the book will keep pace with inflation, but I don't think the buyer could care less. Assuming he's someone for whom $1650 isn't a great deal of money, then well done to him.

When you think about, every time you win something on ebay you've outbid the rest of the planet on that item, so of course the perception of the remainder of mankind is going to be that you paid too much for it, right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

When you think about, every time you win something on ebay you've outbid the rest of the planet on that item, so of course the perception of the remainder of mankind is going to be that you paid too much for it, right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

frown.gif You mean I'm paying too much for all my comics? mad.gif

frown.gif You mean I'm paying too much for all my comics? mad.gif

We all are! headbang.gif

It's all relative, as they say. Obviously this collector really needed this book for his collection. If you are a completionist, sometimes you gotta go the extra mile to fulfill your goals. Yeah, I personally think the price is ridiculous, for me, but I can see that for the buyer of this book, it was not, and that's cool. To each his own. But whenever I make a significant comic purchase (like over $300) I always look at how far that money would take me elsewhere. And if it takes me alot farther in another area, I'll pass. But that's just me, a "value" collector. Some others don't go for value, they go for other reasons. Everyone has a different threshhold of where value stops and overpaying begins. I'm actually glad we all have different threshholds or there would be much less buying and selling.

1. Can Joe afford it? Yes

2. Did he want the book? Yes

3. Is he happy with his purchase? Yes

4. Should all of us shut up and not tell people what they should and shouldn't be buying/collecting? Yes

4. Should all of us shut up and not tell people what they should and shouldn't be buying/collecting? Yes

--------------------

Want list!

All-Top 16

Bill James Baseball Abstract 1977, 1981

Crypt of Terror 17

Millie the Model 2

Patsy Walker 1

Tales from the Crypt 46

True Life Secrets 12

Fiction House bondage covers

Any original art pages from Sandman 50 (hey, a boy can dream)

poke2.gif

--------------------

Want list!

All-Top 16

Bill James Baseball Abstract 1977, 1981

Crypt of Terror 17

Millie the Model 2

Patsy Walker 1

Tales from the Crypt 46

True Life Secrets 12

Fiction House bondage covers

Any original art pages from Sandman 50 (hey, a boy can dream)

poke2.gif

I've got a BEAUTIFUL All-Top 16 that I just bought from 143srk. Yours for $1k... poke2.gif Also a couple of Sandman 50 pages that you're welcome to purchase. Figure a grand or so each for them. poke2.gif

grin.gif

1. Can Joe afford it? Yes

2. Did he want the book? Yes

3. Is he happy with his purchase? Yes

Who is doing #4? I have only seen people saying what THEY would do personally. And that is one of the things I enjoy about this forum, seeing the differences (and similarities) among us. Not one person has told anyone what they should or should not buy or collect.

Read the thread. People are saying that it was "foolishness" and he's crazy to bid that high, yada yada. Where do you see some of these comments saying what they would do personally? They are outright bashing his decision on the book. Those people should STFU!

Read the thread. People are saying that it was "foolishness" and he's crazy to bid that high, yada yada. Where do you see some of these comments saying what they would do personally? They are outright bashing his decision on the book. Those people should STFU!

Well, I didn't remember reading that anyone told the buyer what to do or not to do (but maybe there are, I didn't read it again). But I was mainly referring to my own comment that Donut replied to that made it very clear that what I was saying referred to my own tastes and interests and no one else's.

Well, I didn't remember reading that anyone told the buyer what to do or not to do (but maybe there are, I didn't read it again). But I was mainly referring to my own comment that Donut replied to that made it very clear that what I was saying referred to my own tastes and interests and no one else's.

Not responding to you specifically angel.gif. Yours was the last post in the thread. foreheadslap.gif

Since that's obviously a jab at my post... what I SAID was that spidey 300 in 9.8 was foolishness... but sure, I'd say a HOM 179 in 9.4 for 1600 is foolishess too... happy? tongue.gif If he's happy with the book then that's all that matters, but to me it's too much. I wouldn't have offered my opinion on that unless it was already being discussed, by the buyer himself. If you don't like for my opinion that's your problem sumo.gif

Buyer's opinion is that it was bought for a "song." I take the opposite viewpoint. What the hell's wrong with that? yeahok.gif