• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential merging of DC and Marvel characters?!
2 2

103 posts in this topic

I'm not seeing it... Disney and Fox studios were recently combined and I can't see the feds letting another of the Big Five, Warner Bros, combine as well.  I also don't see the SEC allowing the #1 and #2 comic book companies to combine, especially since the rest of the industry is so fragmented.  And oddly enough, there IS bipartisan support these days in Washington for attacking "monopolistic" practices. 

8 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I wouldn't be so sure, it's not like you see Mickey and Donald running around in the Star Wars universe.

Yet.

Marvel characters on the other hand.......watch for Howard the Duck to appear. lol:roflmao:

1 hour ago, B2D327 said:

Chalk that up to John Favreau’s involvement. He’s been responsible for a ton of the MCU success and knows how to appeal to fandom without being preachy or pushing an ideology in the films...at least not blatantly. It seems like a majority of the writers and directors of the other franchises would rather push an agenda

So true! 

They should put him and Dave Filoni in charge of all SW TV/Movies, etc 

would be much better 

If it follows the typical acquisition model, here's what'll happen:

1) Marvel will state that they are happy and proud of what they are getting and just how historic DC has been for the industry

2) Two months later they announce that 90% of the DC comics will be dropped in an effort to gain "synergy" with the New Marvel

3) In the 3rd month, only Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman remain as title characters while the rest are relegated to team up appearances.

4) Month 4 sees every former DC character being in a Venom/Carnage related storyline with 52 different variants.

Yeah, this has all the earmarks of a truly disastrous outcome...not for DC but for Marvel.  Who would want that DC stink on them?

10 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Let me remind you that Star Wars occurred "a long time ago" and isn't in the current timeline.  Sheesh, how nerdy is that statement.

I've heard it was in a galaxy far away as well. It's too bad time and distance have always been an impediment to cross-overs in fictional universes. 

5 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Can you imagine if this actually happens? All the "I don't like DC" Marvel snobs will suddenly become fans of the formerly DC characters lol 

I'm more worried for the "Marvel sucks" crowd.  The DC fan boys who hang on to the notion that BvS and Justice League are the greatest super hero movies of all time are insufferable.

2 hours ago, B2D327 said:

Chalk that up to John Favreau’s involvement.

It's a combination of Filoni and Favreau.  Frankly, I'm of the belief that from a story perspective, it's mostly Filoni given that he's been driving the Star Wars story on the TV side for the last 10 years.  Favreau brings the experience of directing live action and making blockbusters to the table.  It also helps that he's a huge fan and is respectful to (and understands) the core base material.  But if you've ever listened to Filoni dissect a scene or moment from Star Wars, you'll realize how in tune he is with the emotional, philosophical, and psychological elements of the story and narrative.  No one, short of George Lucas himself, knows the universe better than Filoni.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

I've heard it was in a galaxy far away as well. It's too bad time and distance have always been an impediment to cross-overs in fictional universes. 

:screwy:

:ohnoez:

8 hours ago, the blob said:

what does disney need another super hero universe for? 

No need at all. Just a want to prevent competition from having it to eliminate a threat. That's what empire's do. Not like you don't see DC everywhere now but with Disney it will be in every aisle in every store, box store, grocery store, every store. On tv more. I watched ESPN baseball game on may 4 and the just jammed star wars down your throat for 4 hours. Theme park rides, the justice league experience. Just a great investment. No matter how much they spend it will pay for itself eventually. A catalog of known properties that Disney can do more with than any other company has shown the ability to do.

2 hours ago, EastEnd1 said:

I'm not seeing it... Disney and Fox studios were recently combined and I can't see the feds letting another of the Big Five, Warner Bros, combine as well.  I also don't see the SEC allowing the #1 and #2 comic book companies to combine, especially since the rest of the industry is so fragmented.  And oddly enough, there IS bipartisan support these days in Washington for attacking "monopolistic" practices. 

All depends on how many friends disney has in the right places. And Disney may have little or no desire to purchase WB. Just DC comics rights.

I hope this happens. No they won’t mix universes, maybe a cross over every blue moon. But if Disney took over DCEU and structured the build up like the MCU it could be amazing. Every mistake they made with phase 1 can be avoided from the start of the new DCEU. Instead of getting the millionth Batman origin movie, we might get to see a movie for the legion of superheroes, Vixen, the Question, Swamp Thing, Nubia, Martian Manhunter, a non Rock centered JSA movie, the Flash family, Booster Gold, Black Canary & Green Arrow etc. Look at what they did with a tree and a raccoon. Can you imagine what they would do with High Father, Mister Miracle and Big Barda? If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. But all things considered, I’m willing to roll the dice. 

2 hours ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

No need at all. Just a want to prevent competition from having it to eliminate a threat. That's what empire's do. Not like you don't see DC everywhere now but with Disney it will be in every aisle in every store, box store, grocery store, every store. On tv more. I watched ESPN baseball game on may 4 and the just jammed star wars down your throat for 4 hours. Theme park rides, the justice league experience. Just a great investment. No matter how much they spend it will pay for itself eventually. A catalog of known properties that Disney can do more with than any other company has shown the ability to do.

It is going to take a long time to make back their Fox money. Disney has a $314 billion market cap. Amazon 1.6 trillion. Apple over 2 trillion (how is that possible?). If Amazon or Apple want it, Disney can't compete.