• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If only you had $20+ to spend with Robert Bell in 1971
1 1

40 posts in this topic

What would you have bought if you could have come up with a lofty $20 for mail order with Robert Bell in 1971? No doubles on your list, as that would not be realistic for a collector. Excelsior!

No photo description available.

My picks:

X-men 1 gd $7

ASM 14 $ 1.50

JIM 85 (Loki) $3

Avengers 4 $3.50

FF # 48, 49 2 x 50c

Silver Surfer #1, 4 2 x $2.

What are your mail order alternate choices?

Mine: Daredevil 1 $9, Iron Man #1 $1.50, some polybags as 2 sizes available: Marvel or golden age size.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

Knowing we what I know now would be very different then what I would have bought purely as a collector

purely as a collector DD 1-8 or hulk 1 and Spidey 4 

crazy that DD1 is more than xmen 1 on there 

Edited by rabidwolf

1 hour ago, rabidwolf said:

Knowing we what I know now would be very different then what I would have bought purely as a collector

purely as a collector DD 1-8 or hulk 1 and Spidey 4 

crazy that DD1 is more than xmen 1 on there 

Also... no AF 15 and Sgt FURY 1 is same price as JIM 83 ... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Here's what I would pick:

X-Men #1, #4 - $9.50
Strange Tales #110 - $1.00
Journey Into Mystery #85 - $3.00
Amazing Spider-Man #14, $15, #50 - $3.75
Fantastic Four #48, #49, #50, #52 - $2.00
Tales To Astonish #57 - $0.50 (Not because it is valuable - I just like the cover)

A total of $19.75

I would not list any alternate choices. I got burned by that more than once.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

He doesn't have any DCs on his list, so I probably would not have bought anything...

Now, probably X-men 1 and JIM #83

He might have had a separate list for DCs and Golden Age but that's only speculation on my part as I never sent away for his lists.  If the OP has them please post...

Edited by pemart1966

14 hours ago, shadroch said:

He was charging 3X cover for recent books. If only today's stores could do that!

Some of these prices are CRAZY high.  FF 1 was only 9 years old when this list came out and a lot of those books were still readily available in used books stores or via neighbourhood kids.  Also, you have to consider where we were in Fandom at the time.

Charging 10x cover price for some of those Spidey books was head shaking.

Note that he seems to have the entire Marvel run in his inventory and who knows how many copies of each...

I wonder what his term "good condition" meant?  Howard Rogofsky's "good condition" would mean anywhere from raggy to great.  Ordering comics from Howard was like ordering a box of chocolates - you never knew WHAT you were going to get  lol

Edited by pemart1966

42 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

He might have had a separate list for DCs and Golden Age.  If the OP has them please post...

Sorry, I just pulled this Robert Bell mail order list off Facebook (FB). Don't know where the silver DC list is. If I was a spec in 1970, I would have ordered a $20 dealer pack of Strange Tales #110 x 20 copies @ $1 then being Nostrodamos could retire when the first trailer for Dr. Strange movie dropped.

In 1970, I got into a fistfight with my brother so he would not lend me the $3 I needed to go 'all in' to get AF #15 for a total of $23 postage included. Thus, I got a bloody nose and NO AF 15. :ph34r: