• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Adventure of Superman 430
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Whatever the indica says is what it is.

could be an ink misprint or could be color fade

3 minutes ago, Williamseric58 said:

Would there be anywhere or anyone that would be able to confirm that it is a misprint?

I mean, unless someone exposed both covers to enough light for fading... It's just lacking color from the printing process. Not sure who could "confirm" that.

I see his all the time with comics I own multiple copies of.  
During the printing process, some printing colors start to run out, etc.  If you were to look at a stack of 1,000 consecutive copies as they came off the printer, I would imagine the first few to have the boldest colors, then gradually (imperceptibly) become less so.  Comparing the first copy and the 1,000th copy would put the difference in stark relief.  

Yeah this is not a misprint just the inks are weaker. You see it often with reds and other bright covers. There are variations where on some copies, they are bright while others they appear dull. 

It does not appear to be sun fade because that would affect all colours of a book and on your copies, it appears the colours for the rest of the book look the same. Thus, a printing flaw where the inks are weaker. I personally would not call it a misprint but rather a printing defect that should not affect the grade (but may affect the price). For example, I have seen copies of ASM 300 where the reds in the background are deep and some are more orangey. If someone is super picky, they may seek out a "deeper red" CGC 9.6 or think they should pay less for a slightly more orangey CGC 9.6 even though both books are the same grade.

5 hours ago, Williamseric58 said:

So must likely it a misprint?

When the ink was running a bit low on the press toward the end of a batch or something and the colors are not as bright I don't see that referred to as a misprint. they just didn't keep adding ink constantly to make sure the colors popped on every copy. so your orange copy is worth about 25-50 cents. I know we like to call everything an "error variant" or "misprint variant," but this likely impacted thousands of copies.

Edited by the blob

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

When the ink was running a bit low on the press toward the end of a batch or something and the colors are not as bright I don't see that referred to as a misprint. they just didn't keep adding ink constantly to make sure the colors popped on every copy. so your orange copy is worth about 25-50 cents. I know we like to call everything an "error variant" or "misprint variant," but this likely impacted thousands of copies.

would the ink running low effect the page also or would it just be on the covers?

7 minutes ago, Williamseric58 said:

would the ink running low effect the page also or would it just be on the covers?

both are mutually exclusive. so you can have ink running low on both or just one or the other

the inner wraps and the cover are not printed by the same press at the same time.

Edited by William-James88

Just now, William-James88 said:

both are mutually exclusive. so you can have ink running low on both or just one or the other

I was asking because the color change is just on the front and back covers. The inside pages are not affected. 

Certainly does look like the inking of the press as opposed to, say, a swapped neg where say the Cyan and magenta negs were swapped when burning the plates. The similar back cover fading indeed points to that. 

And as has been pointed out, the press used for the covers is quite different than the one used for the newsprint interiors.