• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA, Detective Comics and Atomic Age Robert Bell price list 1970

21 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, circumstances said:

I'm sure I still have a lot of Robert Bell's catalogs around.

Although I didn't read my first comic until early 1975, and didn't realize there was a back issue market until about six months after that, so they'd all be late 1975 and later.

In a way, those are almost better, if you care at all for Bronze Age ... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

2 hours ago, circumstances said:

I'm sure I still have a lot of Robert Bell's catalogs around.

so they'd all be late 1975 and later.

If you can find your circa 1975 Robert Bell catalogs, we would love to see pics posted in BA or SA Forum.

Re: the 1970 catalog prices, Young Men #24 (3 origins) was valued at $15 compared to FF #48 at 50c. About 20 years ago, I was able to trade straight across my FF 48 for Young Men 24 at the same grade fn. Today 2021, FF 48 and #49 hyped up thanks to Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) so retail value higher than Young Men #24.

7 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

If you can find your circa 1975 Robert Bell catalogs, we would love to see pics posted in BA or SA Forum.

Re: the 1970 catalog prices, Young Men #24 (3 origins) was valued at $15 compared to FF #48 at 50c. About 20 years ago, I was able to trade straight across my FF 48 for Young Men 24 at the same grade fn. Today 2021, FF 48 and #49 hyped up thanks to Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) so retail value higher than Young Men #24.

But the YM 24 is much cooler to have

Just now, aardvark88 said:

Agreed. Early John Romita Sr. art, 3 origins retold. Lucky to see a YM 24 once every leap year only to find it may have a color touch on the black spine.

please post a pic of your YM 24....

not easy to find for sure

20 minutes ago, podboy66 said:

please post a pic of your YM 24....

not easy to find

Sorry, I already sold both YM 24 raw copies for 3x condition guide which was an aggressive price at the time. fyi, there are some Timely's in Superworld's 'Golden Goose' collection.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:27 PM, aardvark88 said:

i will post anything i find!

On 5/26/2021 at 3:29 PM, aardvark88 said:

Interesting mail order price list from Robert Bell of NY, USA. Sadly, this price list expired Jan. 1, 1971. Young Men #24 was a big key according to these for sale prices:

No photo description available.

More vintage comics with 1970 retail pricing to choose from:

More evidence that Crime SuspenStories #22 was simply thought of as just another gory EC cover by '70s collectors. #19 was worth more. 

in general you did a lot better ordering from the left hand side of that ad than the right hand side.   Cool as the books are.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:53 AM, Sarg said:

More evidence that Crime SuspenStories #22 was simply thought of as just another gory EC cover by '70s collectors. #19 was worth more. 

ECs were top table books priced at $7-8. for horror issues. And yet, for those willing to get down on their hands and knees, books like Weird Tales of the Future, Weird Mysteries, The Thing, Mr Mystery and the rest were available in nice condition for $1-3. in boxes under the table...

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

ECs were top table books priced at $7-8. for horror issues. And yet, for those willing to get down on their hands and knees, books like Weird Tales of the Future, Weird Mysteries, The Thing, Mr Mystery and the rest were available in nice condition for $1-3. in boxes under the table...

It took me several years before I realized that the boxes under the table were also for me to look at. And forget about the "behind the table" boxes... the ones out of sight and reach. With extra Wall Books ... GOD BLESS...

I remember the days when there were no “wall books”. Just unbagged stacks of comics just sitting on tables for people to rifle through. Pretty soon after that were sheets of plastic over them to protect them from theft. Some sellers had books in plastic cleaners bags taped to the wall. 

On 6/1/2021 at 10:33 AM, Robot Man said:

I remember the days when there were no “wall books”. Just unbagged stacks of comics just sitting on tables for people to rifle through. Pretty soon after that were sheets of plastic over them to protect them from theft. Some sellers had books in plastic cleaners bags taped to the wall. 

The first wall that I remember seeing was probably 1974 and it had an Action 1 on it ... the guy wanted $ 1800 for it, the price based on Mitch's recent benchmark. It didn't sell at that show. Everyone else used produce boxes and other types of cardboard boxes, or , as you said, just spread over the table. Some folks had started covering those spreads with sheets of rigid plastic to minimixe theft. $ 50 bought stuff that would easily be $ 5000 today. For example, my pal Timothy Leaf bought an AF 15 in VG for $ 30. The most fun for me was the discovery of new things. The guide was fairly new and about 1/3rd of todays thickness.... many, many things were still uncharted territory and there were no PhotoJournals, so if you didn't have it yet, you may not even know what you were looking for. GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/1/2021 at 9:41 AM, jimjum12 said:

The first wall that I remember seeing was probably 1974 and it had an Action 1 on it ... the guy wanted $ 1800 for it, the price based on Mitch's recent benchmark. It didn't sell at that show. Everyone else used produce boxes and other types of cardboard boxes, or , as you said, just spread over the table. Some folks had started covering those spreads with sheets of rigid plastic to minimixe theft. $ 50 bought stuff that would easily be $ 5000 today. The most fun for me was the discovery of new things. The guide was fairly new and about 1/3rd of todays thickness.... many, many things were still uncharted territory and there were no PhotoJournals, so if you didn't have it yet, you may not even know what you were looking for. GOD BLESS...

When I was a kid, liquor boxes were perfect :luhv: