• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The JSA Thread Of All Ages - JSA #1 Out Nov. 29th!

30 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is the right place for it, or if it'll just tank, but only one way to find out. Anyway [SPOILERS AHEAD] at the last page of the Stargirl Special with the 7 Soldiers Of Victory (just noting my copy won't arrive for another week and a half, so all I have to judge it in is the page I'll be showing you guys) 

SPOILERS FROM HERE If you don't want to see this page, please skip my post. 

Edit 

Here is the image in question, apparently the final page of the issue.

DL5EFQE.jpg

As you can see, we've got quite a lot to talk about. Anyone interested in participating in discussions on this, the JSA's future, and it's glorious past in its many incarnations?

Mods: is what I'm doing okay? It's a general thread about the franchise over the decade, it's not really maybe about speculating and stuff, so Moderns seemed wrong. CG seemed like the best fit. 

Edited by Cat

My money is on tank. I wish you luck though. I wouldn't think this series is a huge seller. Of the people who do read it what percentage of them are active on here? We will find out. I love JSA just not reading new ones so will check back to see what is going on. But for a good discussion a fan site or group dedicated to JSA comics might have more response. 

I just speed read the issue. Didn't excite me. Whatever you think is going on probably isn't what you think. Wish the art was on par with that last page. 

Edited by I_Am_Not_A_Cat
Update

I was fascinated by the JSA/JLA  annual meetups as a kid, even though I'd almost always only find one half of the two parts. 

Loved the JSA Atom, Hourman, Mr Terrific, and Johnny Thunder. 

I always wanted to see a Legion/JSA crossover but I'm not aware of it ever happening. 

A Legion/JSA crossover would be a lot of fun, wouldn't it? I guess we sort of did get that, plus the JLA, back in the second arc of Brad Meltzer's JLA, but a proper one would be a hoot. 

I’ve been a JSA fan since I was a kid in the 70s, starting with the All-Star revival.  The Golden Age characters fascinated me, especially The Spectre and Dr Fate.  Highlights for me later on were Strazewski and Parobeck’s short series in the 90s, and Geoff Johns’ series in the 00s.

1 hour ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

A Legion/JSA crossover would be a lot of fun, wouldn't it? I guess we sort of did get that, plus the JLA, back in the second arc of Brad Meltzer's JLA, but a proper one would be a hoot. 

+1

That’d be nice.  Doomsday Clock made that possible.

16 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I’ve been a JSA fan since I was a kid in the 70s, starting with the All-Star revival.  The Golden Age characters fascinated me, especially The Spectre and Dr Fate.  Highlights for me later on were Strazewski and Parobeck’s short series in the 90s, and Geoff Johns’ series in the 00s.

Also my 2 favourite runs, although Johns is far and away my favourite. I'm currently rereading it, via the omniboo they released of it all. They're also a good workout. :wink:

As far as Doomsday Clock, I don't even know if that counts anymore, because that was an expanded team in older costumes to what we saw in the Stargirl Special. I just wish they'd get around to actually publishing a JSA book so we could get things started, it's so long overdue it's getting ridiculous. 

I just finished reading the Stargirl Spring Break Special that had the image at the end I posted earlier. Overall the story was about the 7 Soldiers Of Victory, and was a nice little tale about both the GA and modern versions, focused mostly on the sidekicks. Certainly hard to recommend at today's prices, but this was a fun little tale, but it does leave you on a bit of a cliffhanger for Stargirl #1, which I didn't even know was happening, but if this is the creative team, I think I may dip my toe back into monthly comics (I'd been waiting for the JSA to make their comeback, and my other perennial buy, Fantastic Four, I've just lost interest in, and I'm waiting to buy Hickman's X-Men in collected edition for now). 

Well, the JSA series by Geoff Johns and Bryan Hitch teased at the end of the Stargirl Special has been officially cancelled by DC, for reasons unknown. Unbelievable. For anyone who'd like a better look at Jay and Alan's new costumes, Hitch posted them to his Twitter. Here they are. 

xJbs74i.jpeg

07OaNSO.jpeg

On 1/20/2022 at 6:18 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Well, the JSA series by Geoff Johns and Bryan Hitch teased at the end of the Stargirl Special has been officially cancelled by DC, for reasons unknown. Unbelievable. For anyone who'd like a better look at Jay and Alan's new costumes, Hitch posted them to his Twitter. Here they are. 

xJbs74i.jpeg

07OaNSO.jpeg

Glad to see Jay has still got his Helmet of Mercury.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:05 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Glad to see Jay has still got his Helmet of Mercury.

I'm just so sad to see this canned. We're supposedly building towards a movie JSA, with the groundwork starting soon in Black Adam, yet the characters can't even get a book. What little we saw looked promising. My only complaint was I wanted Pieter Cross as Dr Mid-Nite, Hourman needs his cloak and hood, Mr Terrific his jacket, and that there were a few duplicate legacy characters I think we could have done without. Overall it looked very promising. So of course DC cans it. They just make bad decision after bad decision when it comes to the JSA. 

On 1/20/2022 at 2:13 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I'm just so sad to see this canned. We're supposedly building towards a movie JSA, with the groundwork starting soon in Black Adam, yet the characters can't even get a book. What little we saw looked promising. My only complaint was I wanted Pieter Cross as Dr Mid-Nite, Hourman needs his cloak and hood, Mr Terrific his jacket, and that there were a few duplicate legacy characters I think we could have done without. Overall it looked very promising. So of course DC cans it. They just make bad decision after bad decision when it comes to the JSA. 

I agree. Currently re-reading the excellent Geoff Johns series from the early 2000s.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:47 AM, Ken Aldred said:

I agree. Currently re-reading the excellent Geoff Johns series from the early 2000s.

One of my favourite sets of omnis I own. Only problem for me is they're just too darn big to be comfortable. They did a great job at having them lie flat ensuring no gutter loss, but it really needed to be a 5 volume set, IMO. 

Just a reminder to everyone that the new Justice Society Of America book comes out November 29, by Geoff Johns and Mikhael Janin. Please note it is unfortunately NOT an ongoing series, though, just a 12 issue maxiseries. If you want to follow the whole thing, it started with The New Golden Age oneshot, which came out two weeks ago. A linked book is the 6 issue miniseries Stargirl: The Lost Children, if you're interested. It kinda continues the story begun in the Spring Break Special, though again, if you read New Golden Age, you shouldn't be lost. 

Merry JSA time, everyone! 

Here's some covers from issue 1, starting with the regular:

STL249686.thumb.jpg.9e2d95727adc11bbd34dc6fc287c2b4b.jpg20221027_065409.jpg.8a4d1213aa615178fee38b633a57d46a.jpg

justice-society-of-america-1-1-25-variant.thumb.webp.fa66e9c153b2eeacdfd8556a0e458b5f.webpFe_AI2PVsAADW0s.thumb.jpeg.f9b0a950ec4a04ce48b9bf7b051595e4.jpeg0922DC041.webp.061e574e160cd8e995d227eebbfb8386.webp

Edited by Cat

On 11/20/2022 at 12:59 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Looking forward to reading it.

Same. It's been far too long without these characters. And we'd better get something permanent after this 12 issue series is done. 

I tried to get that Power Girl cover, as well as the regular cover, FWIW, to try and show my support for the series, but according to my LCS it's an exclusive to some store so they can't get it. So disappointed, because it's such a nice cover. I'd get Yannick Paquette's Green Lantern cover, but he's got Alan's ring on his right hand, and he's always been a leftie. 

I'm glad there's a JSA series in 2022 but am so disinterested and turned off by ever-regurgitating continuity and reboots and endless first issues that I doubt I'll ever buy anything "new" again. That being said, last week I had to be acting general manager at my job and two days out of five this entailed me staying on property so that there was a manager there "in case", so sitting in the room my company set aside for me, I spent both of those nights reading the brilliant 90s' series STARMAN by James Robinson and then Sandman Mystery Theater and both reminded me how great I found them as a teenager when they came out. So yeah, it's always good to see these characters get their rightful spotlight. I was sad to hear the Stargirl show got cancelled, I'd heard good things about it.

On 11/21/2022 at 4:51 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

I'm glad there's a JSA series in 2022 but am so disinterested and turned off by ever-regurgitating continuity and reboots and endless first issues that I doubt I'll ever buy anything "new" again. That being said, last week I had to be acting general manager at my job and two days out of five this entailed me staying on property so that there was a manager there "in case", so sitting in the room my company set aside for me, I spent both of those nights reading the brilliant 90s' series STARMAN by James Robinson and then Sandman Mystery Theater and both reminded me how great I found them as a teenager when they came out. So yeah, it's always good to see these characters get their rightful spotlight. I was sad to hear the Stargirl show got cancelled, I'd heard good things about it.

I was also sad to hear about the cancellation of Stargirl. Mixed bag though, as she would have been on the team in Black Adam had it not been for her show. 6 of one, half dozen of the other... 

On 11/23/2022 at 4:38 AM, fastballspecial said:

I read John's entire JSA run as it was coming out it was magic. His story about his sister and Star girl still makes me teary eyed.
All be buying this series no matter what. 

I agree.  Two series of amazingly consistent quality.