• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading a comic with detached center page
3 3

46 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, djzombi said:

Well, I would definitely consider the centerfold being ripped out and put back in loose a serious problem.  Again, I've been basing my opinions all these years (35+) on Overstreet standards.  And using that knowledge, if I bought a book that had spine creases and was graded at F/VF, with creases consistent for that grade, and brought it home to find the centerfold detached, I would be VERY upset.  

As you should be. A fn/vf without acknowledgment of the detached centerfold isn't proper grading, and CGC notes it as such - same as with subscription creases or date stamps - all very common, but necessary to point out.

21 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

We were too quick on the draw! There’s a new sheriff in town

The middle three centerfolds completely detached, tape inside the cover, glue on the staple, and still a VG?  Yeesh.  
I get that it presents well, but still.  
Aside from that, TWENTY PERCENT BUYER'S PREMIUM?!?!  Forget it!!!  Is that Heritage?  
I'm no high roller!  hahahaha!

31 minutes ago, djzombi said:

The middle three centerfolds completely detached, tape inside the cover, glue on the staple, and still a VG?  Yeesh.  
I get that it presents well, but still.  
Aside from that, TWENTY PERCENT BUYER'S PREMIUM?!?!  Forget it!!!  Is that Heritage?  
I'm no high roller!  hahahaha!

keep in mind GA books are slightly softer graded for many (reasonable) reasons.

On 5/30/2021 at 1:27 AM, Dj FunSize said:

Hello, I’m new to grading and had a question. I was looking to get one of my comics graded and it has the center page detached. It’s not ripped off the staples, the page has perfect staple holes, it’s just that the staple never grabbed/attached to that page. Will that affect the grade at all? 

I'm not a grader but, not a novice, and tell you my experience with submitting a vintage comic for CGC grading.

I sent in a FF#48 for pressing and grading. From comparison with other similar comics I had submitted it was a definite 5.5. No detached centre fold at all. After pressing and grading it came back 4.5. Grader notes said it had the top staple detached on the centre fold?

This gives you an idea of how a detachment can affect the grade. Unfortunately in my case, the fragility of the comic didn't stand up to the pressing process.

6 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

I'm not a grader but, not a novice, and tell you my experience with submitting a vintage comic for CGC grading.

I sent in a FF#48 for pressing and grading. From comparison with other similar comics I had submitted it was a definite 5.5. No detached centre fold at all. After pressing and grading it came back 4.5. Grader notes said it had the top staple detached on the centre fold?

This gives you an idea of how a detachment can affect the grade. Unfortunately in my case, the fragility of the comic didn't stand up to the pressing process.

This will give you an idea of what can happen when you alter or “improve” a book. Sometimes it back fires...

32 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

This will give you an idea of what can happen when you alter or “improve” a book. Sometimes it back fires...

That’s what happened to me. I bought this book with 2 detached wraps w cream to offwhite. The sleuths here on the boards made me aware that the book had started out as an offwhite pager with a single detached centerfold. After pressing and resub, it morphed into C-OW with TWO detached centerfolds.

be careful what you wish for on this pressing business 

32FBE9C8-D211-497C-9590-D5B6F875DF2C.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

7 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

I've tried to explain to people that pressing puts stress on both the cover and the centerfold and is probably connected to the rash of detached wraps (granted, there are a few talented experts that can avoid this).  Sorry that happened to you.  :foryou:

54 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s what happened to me. I bought this book with 2 detached wraps w cream to offwhite. The sleuths here on the boards made me aware that the book had started out as an offwhite pager with a single detached centerfold. After pressing and resub, it morphed into C-OW with TWO detached centerfolds.

be careful what you wish for on this pressing business 

32FBE9C8-D211-497C-9590-D5B6F875DF2C.jpeg

Is there a chance that the holes are not torn and it can safely be reattached? I had Mr Nelson safely reattach a centerfold well enough to get by the graders. 

55 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Is there a chance that the holes are not torn and it can safely be reattached? I had Mr Nelson safely reattach a centerfold well enough to get by the graders. 

reported!