• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your predictions for one year from now.
5 5

107 posts in this topic

Just now, VintageComics said:

I tried to find the thread but couldn't.

But he argued that Moderns were going to be like Bronze and Bronze were going to be like Silver. I remember a lot of people ridiculed him for saying that.

My point was that nobody really knows which way the market will go. 

He was just slightly before my time. I think he was just getting out of comics as I was becoming a dealer so I never really met the guy but I did bid on his stuff on eBay a lot back in the day.

Interesting that Dan would say that and sell Doug Schmell the Winnipeg bronze age portion of the collection for a song.  

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Interesting that Dan would say that and sell Doug Schmell the Winnipeg bronze age portion of the collection for a song.  

I vaguely remember that. When did Doug buy them?

Maybe it was shortly after that, that Dan realized there was a market. Doug has a way of opening your eyes. lol

Towards the end, Dan was only left with a lot of coppers and moderns. He had a fire sale before he moved to Florida IIRC

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I vaguely remember that. When did Doug buy them?

Maybe it was shortly after that, that Dan realized there was a market. Doug has a way of opening your eyes. lol

Towards the end, Dan was only left with a lot of coppers and moderns. He had a fire sale before he moved to Florida IIRC

Towards the end Dan's business model was buy a collection and auction it all on ebay.  Which works well if you grade well and buy it cheap.  Not exactly sure about Dan's grading well part of the equation.  At one time Showcase New England was a very large competitor in the collection market.  Now I'm not even sure if he is still on ebay.   

1 minute ago, GPCEE said:

Was that when he sold those hundreds (thousands?) of Moderns for less than $50 each?

That would have been the rough time frame.

19 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I predict that underground comics, and Horror magazines will finally get their due.

Yes.  I think I just set or triggered a new market on a certain underground book.  So, I bought it for $X last fall in the Comiclink auction.  I threw it on the internet for a ridiculous price and refused to budge.  Someone paid almost 10 x $X with shipping and tax for it when it was all said and done.  There was a raw copy in the last Heritage listing supposedly in a nicer grade than the 8.5 that I flipped and people must have used my recorded sale to bid accordingly.   I now watch in laughter.

The book is not worth 10x what I paid but... I decided that since I was the only one with an available copy for sale to run an experiment with the market.  

I wonder how many others are doing the same. 

17 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

The golden era of the boards has been replaced by cheap hustlers and never gonna wanna bes 

FTFY. I know I've only actually been a member here for a few years, but I've lurked for a VERY long time, since the Ewert Scandal. Not saying i remember anything, but there's definitely more people pronouncing themselves something before actually bothering to actually be it. 

My predictions would be based on my prejudices which in my eyes might seem logical, but there are doubtless some that are more in tune with a particular segment of the market that I admit to not knowing as well.  Specifically, moderns and variants.  I predict they will fall precipitously in value just based on 1) my seeing similar things like this happen before with gimmicky lenticular covers, foil covers, multiple covers for the same issue, etc. that were bought in droves, 2) their obvious marketing as a "limited" collectible ("we're telling you there's only a 10,000 issue print run, so that makes this valuable") which reminds me of the Beanie Babies or Precious Moments days and 3) an unending wave - no matter how limited each issue - that are printed in the here-and-now.  An ASM #4 or Punch Comics #14 were printed many years before comics were considered collectible (or, perish forbid, valuable even) and more importantly have a finite number, no matter how many other lenticular/extracurricular/testicular reprint or homage copies are printed.

As to areas I'm more modestly familiar with, I predict GA/SA prices should lessen a bit if only with an implied exodus of hit-and-run speculators and the return of conventions, which should add some more supply in the field to offset the heightened demands that are being seen now.